L'Air Mignonne/Luke Skywalker Walks on Sunshine

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here is the Canadian set I've been working on, overheard from an Imar album. The second tune is in 7/8 - forget about dancing, forget about picking patterns, say goodbye to groove, this is serious stuff of the kind Andy Irvine used to be fond of. For some unexplained reason, I found it impossible to play it slowly, the "missing" eighth note at the end of each measure just won't let you tarry.

And believe it or not, it's all on thesession.org.

2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Bertram, your flying fingers are always impressive. I like your double stops on the first tune.
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I agree that was very impressive, I can barely make it through a tune in 4, 7 would be impossible for me. Imar would be proud.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Quite the pyrotechnic display there, Bertram. As you say, forget about the "usual" criteria for a tune and just get dug in and let the fingers fly - and yours certainly excel!
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    The more I listen to l'Air Mignonne (Canadian Sunshine) by Imar I like this music.
    After that going back to your recording, I recognized how good you covered the music on only one instrument. Great job, Bertram!
  6. Brian560
    Brian560
    Impressive set Bertram. It unapologetically and confidently played without hint of hesitation.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks gents, I must confess there was an OM backing track on each tune with slight doublestop accompaniment like I sometimes do in sessions, so I am not sure if it is "only one instrument", technically . But "pyrotechnic" describes well how playing the second tune feels, and if you ever wondered how you'd fare in a light sabre duel, find out by playing Luke Skywalker (it has that name for a reason, I guess - expect a deep voice to say "I am your father"). This is one of the two absurd links between Star Wars and ITM (the other is the aged Skywalker on the island of Skellig Michael in the last episode - reminding me why I prefer movies using CGI landscapes instead of real ones).
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Wonderful Bertram, I always admire those flying fingers!
    I especially like the second tune with the fast light touch. Well done.
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Imar is an impressive bunch. The first tune was written by Simon Riopel from Montreal. You might recall David Hansen and I both did that tune - oh about a year ago now.
    Fun song.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Simon.
    Sorry Ginny, I had totally forgotten about your existing rendition, guess I should have posted mine there.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I think this is the right place, Bertram though it’s not clear to newcomers.

‘Luke’ isn’t yet in the Other Tunes list so when the title of your new offering is added, then ‘Luke’ will come up in the search results of a pdf (if the newcomer were to save a pdf) from Other Tunes.
    Otherwise, spend a lot of time searching for it using Google, with unreliable results -because the objective of the search is to find ALL entries of ‘Luke’ not just a couple.

(Great tune by the way)

Here’s a nice lesson, great intro to 7/8 time.
    https://youtu.be/SuvwwS6D2Hk

X: 1
    T: Luke Skywalker Walks On Sunshine
    R: jig
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    K: Amaj
    M: 7/8
    | A2 BA cea | f2 af ecB | A2 BA edc | fd f/2g/2a gec |
    A2 BA cea | f2 af edc | dB cA Bcd | ec dc BAG |
    A2 BA cea | f2 af ecB | A2 BA edc | fd f/2g/2a gec |
    A2 BA cea | f2 af edc | dB cA Bcd | cA BG Ace ||
    |: f2a e2 Ae | BAB c2 ce | dB cA edc | fd f/2g/2a gec |
    f2a e2 Ae | BAB c2 ce | dB cA Bcd | cA BG Ace |
    f2a e2 Ae | BAB c2 ce | dB cA edc | fd f/2g/2a gec |
    d2f e2 Ae | BAB c2 ce | dB cA Bcd | cA BG AcB ||
  12. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I never know where to post things..it's like darts - I just throw it in and see where it lands. As Simon says (lol)...you have two tunes and so it belongs here.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    It’s simple Ginny, if you post two tunes together and one of the two is not on the Other Tunes list, then you can happily post a new thread.

If you have two tunes and the system appears to be confusing, then you can happily post a new thread.

If you have two tunes and it’s raining outside and the cat wont get out of your way for ten minutes, then you can happily...
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Isn't that cat supposed to be black, Simon? And I dimly remember something about a full moon...
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    No black cats around here any more
    But thanks again for the Luke Skywalker tune Bertram, it’s amazingly good as a rhythm practice exercise!

(D-du,Dud) Half a 4/4 measure then half a 6/8 measure with the accent on the first note of each, then they’re swapped around, (Dud, D-du) and then it’s seven eighths in a row.
    Everything metronomed a 7/8 of course.
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Milestone passed, thanks again Bertram and Ginny for this one.
    Was going to practice this on the bodhran all afternoon and then add it to the recording but the neighbour has already punished me once with a friday 2am loud ABBA intervention in exchange for hearing my 7/8 time practiced all week!
    (She thinks I don’t like ABBA, I love them!)

https://youtu.be/IItvU1EI0gg
  17. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very impressive, Simon, 7/8 still doesn't fit between my ears but you clearly have mastered it, I would have liked to hear the bodhran.
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks David, will work on the bodran this week up in the woods, maybe overlay this recording. I did try it a bit and it does sound thrillingly impressive, the way a foot tapping reel sounds.

One of the tricks i found with 7/8 time is to practice a tune that only has (D-du, Dud). That is, it’s half a reel and then half a jig rather than the other way around, half a jig then half a reel. Some tunes, like this one in the B part, mix the two which I found incredibly confusing until I realised that that centre beat was shifting from the 4th beat to the 5th beat. The other thing is that generally, when you see consecutive pairs of eighths in a measure, you add a heavy accent on the first eighth of each pair; ie. three pairs and an odd one in each measure.
    Really helps to keep in time.

Hope you guys have a go at this one, it’s a lot of fun, and can sound great when played really slow with lots of emphasis too.
  19. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Boy Simon, this is a hard one to do. Thanks for the thanks but David and I only did L'Air Mignonne - not the Luke Skywalker thing - I had never heard of that until Bertram played it and it sounds lie one only the brave will attempt. You have done an awesome job, I can hear all the notes and it has a great feel in the rhythm.
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Girl Ginny, now I understand!
    Simon Riopel is Canadian but he’s not in the band, Imar.
    So Bertram’s posting of Luke Skywalker was related to yours only in so much as it’s all Canadian -so I can thank you for that.

Just watched the first half of Outlander. They talked about ghosts which I hope is the fantasy part, there was a smidgin of history, and loads of romance.
    I love it already.
    Problem is though that we are twenty minutes in, and they haven’t killed any bad guys yet nor chased each other in fast cars.
    That to look forward to.
  21. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yes Simon, that's one orderly melody reference for aural navigation, and it sounds seductively easy that way
  22. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Simon, Outlander is 10 % history, and 90 % um..bare naked romance. Enjoy.
  23. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Whenever Bertram posts a video, I look forward not only to some reliably great octave playing, but also to a tiny glimpse of my home region. I can feel the vibes through that slightly open window!

Those sound like two very challenging tunes, and kudos to both of you for playing them so well.