"Buffing" a pick

1. Liadan
    Liadan
    Hello fellow newbies and very advanced newbies! I've seen some references to buffing or dressing picks, and I'm wondering what exactly this means? Please forgive my total ignorance, the world of picks is new to me (so many choices!). Is it always necessary to fix up a pick before using it?

Also want to say a quick thanks for the community - I'm learning a lot here and finding mandolin cafe to be a very friendly place to hang out.
  2. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I doubt if most people dress up a pick before using it, really. Some people alter picks a bit when they first get them. I've modified the roundness of a pick's corners, and modified the bevels on a pick's edge, and experimented with a lot of different picks. I think it's a good idea to experiment with a lot of different types and styles of picks, even if you don't modify them at all.

Some picks, especially natural products like wood picks or tortoise shell picks, wear down pretty quickly and maybe some players like to shape or buff them occasionally as they wear.

But in general, I think the answer to your question -- "Is it always necessary to fix up a pick before using it?" -- is no, not at all.
  3. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    How much free time do you have? If you are unhappy with a $0.35 pick, I would say, "Move on."

As a newbie, head down to the local music store with $5 and blow some of it on an assortment. Sizes, shapes, colors, thicknesses, see what makes you happy.
  4. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    5 dollars Louise? I don't buy blue chips, but I'll bet I've got 75 dollars worth of picks laying around :D
  5. Liadan
    Liadan
    Thanks for the advice, all - I appreciate it. I was worried I was doing it wrong! So far I've tried a few different picks - the tortex big triangles, ultex triangles, and the pro plec. So far the tortex ones are my favorite. I'd be curious to hear people's favorite picks in this thread, but I understand from the general forum this may be inciting a riot!
  6. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    I used to love the Primetone large triangles, but now waffle between primetone small triangles and the Wegen TF140
  7. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    When I got my first guitar, 40 years ago, there was a Fender Medium pick in the case . . . that is what I still use today.

Hey - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  8. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I have a BC TAD 50 and a smooth Primetone large triangle 1.4. I don't think I could tell them apart if blindfolded. I like them both. I have a Wegen I like. Plus about a zillion others, some expensive, some really cheap, some free, some I like, some I don't. I could use most of them if I had to and a few of them I use by choice every now and then. But I mostly use the BC and the smooth Primetone - whichever one jumps in my hand first. Save a bunch of money and get a smooth Primetone instead of the BC.
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    The last few years I've developed a preference for large triangles. I use:

- JT Pix
    - Wegen 120
    - Ultra COOL Pick, black, 1.0
    - Wegen 140
    - Primetone sculpted

Sort of in that order of preference right now.
  10. Liadan
    Liadan
    Thank you all for the suggestions - it looks like I may have to increase my pick stock. I'm going to be in Ashland, Oregon next week visiting my family and as I recall the downtown has a pretty nice music store. Maybe I'll stop by...

It's really interesting to me that picks make such a huge difference on the mandolin. Right now I only know a few songs, and there's a pretty clear tone difference between the tortex pick and the pro plec. I like the way the pro plec sounds but find it kind of hard to use.
  11. FredK
    FredK
    I have several picks but my go-to is the Dunlop Primetone 1.3mm semi-sculpted. Sometimes I go to the 1.5 mm triangle for certain moods but not a big fan of pointed picks. Waiting my turn for the Travelling Pick Sampler!
  12. Liadan
    Liadan
    Thanks, Fred - that's a few votes for the Primetone in this thread!
  13. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Liadan, I don't give my picks any sort of attention. Much like Mark said at the top, most picks are good to go out of the wrapping. The calluses on my fingertips however, get looked at and buffed or filed daily. I keep an emory board handy at all times.

My current picks are based on what a particular mandolin wants for a particular tone. Of course, this changes due to a variety of reasons such as climate, tune/song played, my ears and location.

Pro plec for my bluegrass axe.
    Pointed tip Golden Gate for my 404 oval.
    Wegan M150 for the other 2 mandos in my herd.

The Wegan is fairly new to me. In the past I struggled with rounded picks. Always was a pointy tip picker. Primetone 1.0 usually. Or my Proplec. BUT, this Wegan has such a great feel across the strings, depth of tone and I can almost tremolo with it. My rhythm and chop has more going on also. However, my pickin time has decreased. 8ths and 16ths are not there yet.
  14. FredK
    FredK
    Liadan, I just received my notice that the Travelling Pick Sampler is heading my way. You might want to check into getting on that list if you haven't already.
  15. Liadan
    Liadan
    FredK - thank you, I will look into that!

Trav'linmando - Another newbie question: is buffing/filing calluses to deal with peeling?
  16. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    my mando calluses never peel like my guitar calluses did. Current operating theory is my mando strings are buffing them for me. It is either that or my mando has dandruff (lots of white flecks accumulate at the bridge)
  17. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Liadan, my calluses and the 'railroad tracks' develop cracks. Plus the occasional blister and hard edge of the callus near fingernail. Just a light touch up with the emory board and my tips are smooth again. Seems to improve my finger work on the strings. Or maybe I am just a little neurotic.
    Larry
  18. Liadan
    Liadan
    Larry, that sounds painful! I play electric bass and my calluses have never peeled, but they sure are peeling from playing mandolin. Maybe it's something about the string type? I'm a DR fan for bass. At any rate, a little callus neuroses never hurt anyone.
  19. Liadan
    Liadan
    I should note I play bass fingerstyle - never needed picks before this either!
  20. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    There's all kinds of tricks and cures out on the main forum to help form good, firm, tough calluses. And sure enough, most of them work as long as you combine them with lots of practice time.

Me, I combined nothing special with my practice time and that worked, too. YMMV.
  21. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    +1 for working on fingernails and callouses. My callouses are so thick that I even occasionally trim them at the edge with fingernail clippers before using the emery board on them. That emery board keeps them smooth and sculpted. Kudos to Larry for mentioning this, because my callouses and fingernails need way more maintenance than any pick ever has. YMMV
  22. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    +1 practice time for thick calluses. Henry, I am in agreement, I just don't believe that lemon oil or salt water soaks make a quantitative difference.
  23. Liadan
    Liadan
    Hello mandolin friends! Apologies for my tardy reply. I've been up in Oregon for the past week visiting family. I stopped by the local music store and picked up an assortment of picks, but sadly they did not have the Primetone. I did get a couple of the Golden Gate triangles though, and I am digging those.

As for my calluses, I've gotten a lot of practice this week and they're looking pretty gnarly. Thanks again all for your advice!