The Blue-Eyed Rascal (hornpipe)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a traditional Irish hornpipe, which I have learned from Paul Hardy's session tunebook at:

https://pghardy.net/concertina/tuneb...n_tunebook.pdf

Played on mandolin and tenor guitar.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Martin, for this recording. I just tried to play through the dots. It isn`t easy because the tune consists almost only of triplets.

I’m glad you are going to build audible illustrations of the Paul Hardy's session tunebook (following your recordings of Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni’s arrangements).
  3. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely playing martin, likewise I had a quick go at it using the session .org, I found it near impossible to play , lots of those triplets end on a barred note and straight into another triplet, which is a real challenge for me. very impressive playing.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for those comments! The irregularity of the rhythm is what makes this one such a charming tune to play. As with all hornpipes, the trick is to play it with a 12/8 feel throughout so that the only difference between triplets and pairs of eighths is whether or not you play the middle note.

Martin
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice recording Martin, well done.
    And that’s one cluster of triplets!
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Martin, you always manage to dig out fine tunes, and the book by Paul Hardy is a great resource, so thanks for the link.

Here is my attempt at Blue-Eyed Rascal and I have paired it with the Redesdale Hornpipe, also from Paul's collection. I played the melodies on my octave and added in backing on acoustic guitar capoed at the 7th fret just to get a bit of variety into the backing.

7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Magnificent! These sound difficult enough to play on mandolin, let alone octave mandola. Great sound.
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I do agree with Dennis. What should I add...?
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John -- these tunes sound great on the octave. Have to try out the Redesdale Hornpipe. I have recorded another three tunes from the Paul Hardy book over the weekend. Uploads coming soon.

Martin
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oh, dear me, I finish one tune and then there’s more!
    Thanks John, inspirational.