Week #28 ~ Temperance Reel (The Teetotaler's)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's tune is Temperance Reel, also known as The Teetotaler's.

Here is ABC for one of the Teetotaler's from www.thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Teetotaler's, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Gmaj
    |:G2 GF GABc|dBeB dBAc|BEED EFGA |BGAF GFED|
    G2 GF GABc|dBeB dBAc|BEED EFGA |BGAF G4:|
    |:Beed e2ef| gfaf gfed| B^cde d2ef| gfaf gfed|
    Beed e2ef|gfaf gfed|BEED EFGA|BGAF G4:|

Here are the results from www.mandozine.com for Temperance Reel

I'm busy painting, with little time for the computer... so if other's would like to post more info, other TAB or ABC... please do!
  2. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    There is a Bluegrassy tab and recorded examples at: http://www.bluegrassbooksonline.com/freesamples.htm and a couple more here: http://www.alltabs.com/search.php?id...emperance+Reel
  3. jamann
    jamann
    OK, still sitting it Hamilton, ONT. and I have a little time so I'll kick this thing off. Here's my attempt at Temperance Reel. Again, not the best quality due to having to record with my netbook. Hope I did it some justice.

4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    You certainly did, great clean picking.
  5. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Hey, jamann, I liked that a lot. That slide up to the unison E and the D doublestop in the B part are especially nice touches. I'm stealing those ideas.
  6. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Here's my shot at it on the octave:

7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    nice work, Jamann and Shaun - I'll probably get a version recorded on Tuesday, still working on it.
    Kinda coveting your Flatiron OM, Shaun!
  8. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Here it is:

The arrangement is from Simon Mayer's "New Celtic Mandolin" book and CD. He does, however, play it well above 120bpm, approaching hummingbird wing speed.
  9. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Hey Shaun, nice job on the octave. I like those triplets in there.

Speaking of triplets--CD, you rule. Wow.
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I have to agree, that was really well played, CD.
  11. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's mine, just sort of bluegrassy. Trying to work in some improvisation, and ways to make the backup more interesting.

12. SteveJ
    SteveJ
    I have an old transcription I did when I was trying to understand this how this guys triplets worked.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ_TKV030k0

X:1
    T: Teetotaler's Rolls, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    Q:1/4=160
    K: Gmaj
    D2|:"G"(3EFG G2 GABc|d2ge dBAc|"Em"B2E2 (3EFG GA |"D"B2GB AGDE|
    "G"(3EFG G2 GABc|d2ge dBAc|"Em"B2E2 (3EFG GA |"D"BGAF "G"(3FGG G2:|
    |:"Em"Bde2 e2ef| g2ae gfed|"D" B^cd2 d2de| f2ae gfed|
    "Em"Bde2 e2ef|geae gfed|"G"B2E2 "Em"(3EFG GA|"D"BGAF "G"(3FGG G2:|
  13. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Some very nice versions by jamann, Shaun, CD and OT -- lots of ways to play this tune. I learned it a while ago and kind of let it slip into one of the many unused corners of my conscienceness I guess -- anyway this is what I dredged up last night -- I went through it three times trying to remember the B-part!

14. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Here's mine. I worked on it for a little this morning and thats it. Didn't like any of the B part that was written so I did some improv on the B part.

15. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Really good postings so far.
  16. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Great posts everybody. Keep 'em coming!
  17. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Here's Mine.

18. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Great job Dave. that sounded Awesome!!!
  19. jamann
    jamann
    Very nice everyone! I'm enjoying everyones videos. sgarrity, really dig the octave. Very cool! CelticDude, love the triplets and that celtic feel. OS, I am always impressed and again you delivered. Thanks! Bernie, as always I like. I want your right hand! Kyle, I'm really digging what you did with your B-Part. I enjoyed listening to it! And Chris, very clean picking. You always deliver and impress me. Keep it up kid! David, love the octar and your version. Very nice picking! This is why I really like this social group. It just doesn't get any better than this.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    This is indeed a thread full of awesome.
  21. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Very nice, David! You're getting a great sound out of that Weber, even on a youtube video, that last note with the low G just filled the whole room. This is the best weekly thread we've had in a while, I think - great contributions from everyone. I'm working on something I haven't tried before, hopefully it works out ok and I can share it in a few days.
  22. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    I'll second that this thread is "FULL OF AWESOME" and Jamman's comments! Man, I gotta post something soon!!! Gonna have to make the time...gonna have to make the time..
  23. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    I agree very nice thread -- good comments too!

Kyle ya done good! That was a fine B-section that you created loved it -- now lets hear that new Martin back packer!
    Sounding good Chirs and Dave. Chris do you have the extension scooped? Looks like you are picking right on it? Also is Vimeo a higher quality compression than YouTube. Dave you have inspired me to try this on my tenor guitar.
  24. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Bernie I sold the Backpacker to a friend. My guitarist friend came over to play guitar with me. And he ended up falling in love with the mandolin. And he doesn't have much money so I sold the backpacker to him last week. It also helped fund my new guitar!
  25. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Bernie, Yeah, It's scooped. As for Vimeo... I think it has better quality. There's a big discussion Here about why I use Vimeo.
  26. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Here's my version - been listening to a lot of John Carty lately and the triplets in this are inspired by his playing...

27. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    The thread just reached a new level of AWESOME. Jill, that's some exceptional playing right there. Love those triplets.
  28. jamann
    jamann
    Jill, I absolutely loved that! To repeat Don's quote, "that's some exceptional playing there." You put all of us guys to shame with that performance. My hats off to you! Very, very nice! It just keeps getting better!
  29. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lads, lads, you are too kind! This entire thread is full of awesome versions of this tune - I'm looking forward to hearing more of them!
  30. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Jill, there's a wonderful bouncy rhythm to your version that adds an element of humor. Mine (which I hope to post during the weekend) will be completely different, as usual.

What does it say on your fingers?
  31. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Fantastic work, Jill! It sounds like a completely different tune from the one I'm playing - much more authentic!
  32. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks lads! I was trying to get that bouncy feel to it - again the influence of listening to John Carty, whether he's playing the banjo or the fiddle he always is able to incorporate that feel in his playing - it just gets your foot tapping!

Bertram, the words on my hands are "ceol binn" - translation: "sweet music"
  33. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    "ceol binn" hits the point indeed.
    Reminded me of that sailor in the Master-and-Commander movie, whose fingers said "HOLD FAST"
  34. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jill... I can't play this tune as fast as you do, nor get those triplets in there, but, I do play it with the same sort of rhythm.... more of a hornpipe than a reel.... I much prefer the way these tunes sounds hornpipe-y, rather than straight eighth reels..... when I get back home to where my camera is, I'll try to catch back up on all these tunes I've missed! Great job to all!
  35. Susanne
    Susanne
    I can't even try to live up to the levels set in this group, but I played around with the tune and tried to record it. It's a fun tune to play!

36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice, Susi! Believe it or not, not everyone thinks that tunes have to be played lightning fast.... I liked that tempo you played it at, AND your playing was VERY clean and expressive!
  37. Susanne
    Susanne
    Thanks for your nice comment, Barbara! Clean playing is actually to me a better compliment than speed... I need to learn to play smoother, in my own opinion, but clean playing is good enough right now especially considering that I don't really actively do any practice (squeezeboxes rule my life!!).
  38. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    Susi,
    Sounds great. I'm impressed with the video production too. Nicely presented.
  39. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one, Susi, and I agree, clean playing should be put above speed - nothing like the feeling of getting thru a tune cleanly!
  40. Susanne
    Susanne
    Dave, the video production is all thanks to the superb software Apple iMovie. The new version rocks!!!
  41. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice Susi. And the whiskey pictures are a good touch!
  42. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    OK, since I can't do those tasteful triplets, I'll present my tasteless ornamentation. Had to do it in 2 takes--just can't handle the octave for two times through yet.

43. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff Don! I love the B parts in both versions. This is such a great thread!
  44. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Way to go, Don, I like the 5th/2nd double stops in the B part and how you let the open G boom along.
  45. Susanne
    Susanne
    Oh, the gorgeous sound of CBOMs. Love it!!
  46. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, but I stole that unison slide and doublestop in the B part from jamann's version early in this thread. Also borrowed a bit from Billy in the Low Ground on the second A which I heard in OS's version.
  47. Susanne
    Susanne
    I don't care about what you stole. All I care about is the wonderful sound of your OM (or whatever it is)
  48. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I love that slide / double stop too, and recognized that you'd gotten it from jamann (and maybe david hansen did too?).... just can't figure it out myself! Could you explain / describe how it's done?
  49. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Sounds great Don!!
  50. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Barbara, I start on the B (2nd fret A string) play a D (5th fret) then slide from the D into the unison E. Sometimes I skip the B and just play the D and slide into the unison E. Then it's the regular run on the E string and go to a D doublestop (2nd fret E string/5th fret D string) substituting that for the run on the A string. Does that make sense?

The pulloff ornament on the second B part is an old Dawg trick. You use the same constant DUDU picking pattern--don't vary that timing. You play the fretted note with a downstroke, do the pulloff to the open E string, then play the open E string with the upstroke. Your next downstroke will be a fretted note again, pulloff to open string, upstroke open string. As Frank Wakefield would say, "It sounds better than it really is."

Hope that helps.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast