Apache - The Shadows

1. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    The success of The Shadows, with electric and acoustic mandolin (without the famous introduction, it is better to hear the original version.).

the recording with the mandobird is giving me problems, I have to learn more to record ... sorry!
  2. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Cool. I'm not familiar with this. What's the tune's origin?
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Jairo, you have transported me back to my mid teen years around 1960, when I was in my first group with some pals at school. We played all of the Shadows tunes, learning them off the 45rpm single records or buying sheet music, which in those days was always a piano score! No internet, TAB or any of the things we take for granted now, and had we been able to make recordings it would have been out of this world! Apache was one of the great favourites. Thanks so much for posting this one.

Mike, Apache was written back in the 1950s by a guy called Jerry Lordan, and is associated with The Shadows, the instrumental group who backed Cliff Richard. Their lead guitarist was Hank B Marvin, and he was one of my boyhood heroes! He had one of the very first Fender Stratocaster guitars brought over to the UK from America, and we all lusted after Hank's famous Fiesta Red Strat. Lordan wrote several tunes for them. Apparently he was inspired by the Burt Lancaster film "Apache".
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Jairo, both recordings offer their own charm. Good stereo effect on the acoustic version.
  5. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Gracias muchachones! John, I'm very happy with your comment, I didn't know the story of the song. Apache, and other hits by The Shadows, was very famous in Latin America, and is still heard on the radio today. When I was in elementary school, I used to hear that song be played by the older boys' musical groups, and that was back in the 70s.
  6. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is very cool. I always enjoy something different and Jairo you have got the prize for the best yet.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Me gusta! Nice swing to the tremolo too.
    The song used to remind me of ‘Watch for me on the mountain’ by Forrest Cater and ‘All quiet on the western front’ by Erich Maria Remarque, that sort of thing.
    Now it’s just a nice song.
  8. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    The sad story is this: when I was a little boy, with a brother and friends we played indians and cowboys, the Indians being the bad guys. Watching American cowboy movies, we jumped for joy when the cavalry arrived ... when we got older, we understood who the bad guys were ... that's what Apache reminds me.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, that's a real blast from the past. We had a friend and neighbour who loved this song. It reminds me of him.

Your playing sounds good on both instruments. I couldn't pick a favourite!
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Hank Marvin beware, here come Jairo Ramos Parra!