Weel #143 ~ Kerfunken Jig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is an Irish Traditional (IT) jig, Kerfunken Jig.

Here is a link to the tune on thesession.org Be sure to read the comments tab, on ornamentation, and other keys. It's notated in D, but is said to be also played in G.

This is the ABC from thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Kerfunken, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Dmaj
    |:F3 FED|FGA Bcd|A2 B BAF|~E3 EDE|
    |~F3 FED|FGA Bcd|A2 B BAF|1 EFE D2 E:|2 EFE DFA|
    |:d3 def|B3 BAB|d3 def|fed efe|
    |d3 def|B3 BAB|A2 d dAF|1EFE DFA:|2 EFE D2 E|

Here is a link to notation and abc from Alf Warnack on abcnotation.com
  2. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    This tune was composed by Irish flute maker and player Hammy Hamilton with the tune name being The Kerfuntuen. You can read about the tune in this interview with Hammy here:

http://www.firescribble.net/flute/hamilton.html
  3. Toycona
    Toycona

It may not be the best, but this week it's the first...
  4. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Congratulations on being the first, Toycona! Sweet version! Thanks for the Hammy interview, David. I'll be recording mine here pretty soon. I'm very challenged in the video recording department.
  5. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thanks for the link David, i enjoyed the read, though i now hold you responsible for adding to my work load, i now feel obliged to learn both Hammy's jigs, being a fellow Belfast man in all
  6. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Nice playing Toycona. David, I always wondered why an Irish jig had such a German sounding title- now I am enlightened.Here it is in d on a Savannah.

7. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Great sound, Maudlin. Toycona, I can't help but always think to myself that your mandolin is quite a fine looking instrument! Here is my quick attempt for the week. I'd like to say that I will try to record a 'better' version later in the week but we all know how that goes! Looking forward to what everyone else puts together.
  8. Francis J
    Francis J
    Playing this jig on my Joe Foley Mandolin, using DUD DUD pick strokes, something I resisted for years, I was always a DUD UDU man, even for jigs, but here we go, no ornamentation, just the bones of the tune.(changing pick direction is a real head wrecker, but I will persist until I either get it, or go stark raving bonkers!

9. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Everyone sounds great. Very enjoyable and helpful. Francis - Thanks for the lesson and encouragement in DUD DUD. That's a difficult habit to overcome. On good days I can make it through the A part before I revert back to my old DUD UDU ways. Once it becomes a conscious thought the whole tune falls apart. I too will keep trying. Just one of my many first world problems. Cheers!
  10. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    the .TEF file for those who want the Std Notation and TABs.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...5&d=1327175224
  11. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice versions by all. Aaron yours has a very nice lilt.
    Francis your DUD's sound right on to me. Very nice.
    And what is that niffty little mic your using.
    Gary
  12. Francis J
    Francis J
    Thanks Gary, the mike is a Sony ecm ds7op stereo mike, from a minidisc player.
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Superb as ever, Mr Hansen. Here's my go. I'm not sure it's a jig the way I've done it, but it's completely kerfunken:

14. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    amazing
  15. Francis J
    Francis J
    OS, You surpassed your usual high standard with that version, awesome!
  16. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac

Ok, I have been using this forum to learn tunes for a few months so I thought I would avoid listening to other versions of my first assignment to see how my own flavours might differ from other versions. I have had real issues with the recording, having done many takes that I was happy with, but with freezing video and loss of audio sync. This version is no exception, but is just about acceptable, so apologies for the couple of video stutters along the way. If I get a chance I will try again tomorrow. At least I can listen to other versions and see how wrong/wide of the mark I am in my interpretation.
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Francis and Pierpaolo!

Well done, Peddyr, I enjoyed that a lot.
  18. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Very impressive work folks! All but OldSausage's versions are very "sessiony" ... really like the double stops in yours, Peddyr.

I really love your interpretation, OS ... it's very unique and very Kerfunken. It comes through with lots of emotion. Martin Hayes also does a slower version of this jig ... both different and unique, while keeping the Kerfunk. They say it's an easy jig .. maybe the tune, but not so easy for me to play ... yet.
  19. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic vids everyone, some great variations on show here. As Loretta mentioned, the Hayes/Cahill is the version I'm familiar with at the slower tempo and is the one I used.

20. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Very lively and solid, Peddrymac. I hope you continue to be a regular contributor. Tosh - It's good to see and hear again. Nicely played and at my tempo. Thank you all for sharing.
  21. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    Thanks for the positive feedback Mike, Loretta et al. I have dusted off my old digital camera that was pretty nifty at video and given this another whirl. Much better than the jerky video from my Android phone (and it sounds marginally better too). Now I have found my video tool there will be no stopping me!

22. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's my arrangement of The Kefunken Jig for guitar and mandolin. The guitar is a Bauer parlor guitar tuned DADGAD while the mandolin is my old Gibson F2. Finger picked guitar was recorded first and the mandolin was overdubbed later. The into is something that just sort of fell out of outer space I think...

23. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nice, I like the intro, and I love the guitar bends, I wouldn't have thought of that - before.
  24. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks, David. I've heard those kind of bends coming over from the other side of the pond before and thought it might be nice to try to work them into this song. Oh, and your Kerfunken was very inspiring –– as were all the others posted above. This is a great week to play mandolin....
  25. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Great versions! I've been on a bit of SAW hiatus so here's my first contribution in about 6 months - more to follow as I have a lot of catching up to do!
  26. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    Michael, that was excellent. The guitar work reminded me of led zeppelins black mountainside.
  27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's mine on my Weber Bridger A mandolin. I'm playing it in G, with variations. I got the abc from the comments section of this jig on the session.org. I didn't even attempt to upload it to You Tube... went straight to Vimeo.
  28. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Barbara, your Weber sounds just wonderful in your capable hands. Thanks!
  29. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    So many great versions this week, and so varied too;
    On listening back to mines the bouzouki is too loud, or maybe it just stands out more cos it's more out of time and out of tune than the mandolins! Still getting to grips with it, may repost a hopefully improved version if I get the time.
  30. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Neil, very nice and Irish sounding!
    Barbara, loved the triplets but had to wait too long for your trademark smile
  31. Toycona
    Toycona
    Welcome back, Chris and good job! For those of you scoring at home, Chris and I both have Manndolins made by Jonathan Mann of Tennessee. Maybe we'll get together and play a duet or something.
  32. laura809
    laura809
    Nice job everyone. Michael, that was a particularly nice version. I loved the open tuned guitar.
  33. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Haha! I was busy reading the music and trying to concentrate on the variations... no time to smile!

I was on Jonathan Mann's website, saw he was from Tennessee. Then I remembered my grandmother was a Mann from Tennessee... maybe we are related!
  34. Toycona
    Toycona
    That'd be something. Have you gotten a look at his new OM? If I were into OM's, I'd be all over that one, for sure.
  35. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great minds Barbara, we went for the same variation, my youtube is even more out of sync than usual,think its time to go down the vimeo route as well.

36. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    lovely version GnM. Great sounding instrument and lovely acoustic/reverb to the room you are in.
  37. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Great versions of such wonderful Jig; you all are hard acts to follow. Mine's somewhat slower than some, but I'm just impressed that I was able to record anything in the middle of tax season with my Byzantine recording setup. The Muddy just got home from the hospital ... lots of happy new upgrades.

38. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done Loretta, good to see you posting again.
  39. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Good playing there Loretta. Your Muddy looks similar to my Gremlin but sounds a lot better. What did you have done to it?
  40. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice work Loretta - good clean picking and nice tone!
  41. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Thanks, lads. Appreciate your kind words. I had a radiused fretboard put on and replaced the tail piece, maudlin. Switched to GHS Medium Lights, and am now using an arm rest. The mandolin has a spruce top and rosewood sides and back; she was the nicest sounding Muddy I tried out when I bought her.
  42. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Very nice, Loretta. Your mandolin sounds great. I put an arm rest on last year - it really does make a difference. A lot more comfortable. Good to see (and hear) you again.
  43. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Probably my personal record of being late to an official week.

44. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Better late than never – and just have to say one more time that your new recording setup for the audio is just terrific! Thanks.
  45. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Michael - this time I tried hard to have the mic in camera view, too, so that John can believe it...
  46. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Here is a nice jig that i always liked but i never learned.
    A few mistakes but that's enough for now.
    Played with an eastman 504 mandolin.

47. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice clean playing! I don't know this one yet, either.
  48. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a lovely jig and well played by you, Pierpaolo S.
    In what kind of room were you playing? Or did you use a reverb of your DAW?

I should check all the other submissions to a later moment.
  49. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Hi Frithjof,
    my room is a little soundproofed but I'm guilty , I used the reverb from Cakewalk Sonar.
    Thanks for listening.
  50. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Very clean playing, Pierpaolo, and a fine tone. I had to turn up the volume on my speakers quite a bit to hear this one!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast