Flickorna Svensson

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I've got good news and bad news, the good news is that I fixed my mandolin which hasn't been playable for quite a while now, the bad news is that my evil twin and I are still trying to get mandolin players to play Scandinavian tunes. My latest offering is called Flickorna Svensson which translates to The Svensson Girls in English. It is a popular tune in Swedish sessions and is distinctive for a measure in 3 in a tune in 2.

Here are the abc's:
    X:1
    T:Flickorna Svensson
    C:Pelle Svensson
    R:Gnglt
    Z:Patrik Mnsson, 2008-07-24
    O:Sverige
    M:2/4
    L:1/16
    Q:1/4=100
    K:G
    D2 | "G"G2G2 G2AG | "D7"G2FE D2EF | "G"G2AB "C"cBAG |[M:3/4] "D7"F2EF "G"G6 D2 |[M:2/4] "G"G2G2 G2AG |
    "D7"G2FE D2EF | "G"G2AB "C"cBAG |[M:3/4] "D7"F2EF "G"G6 Bc |:[M:2/4] "G"d2d2 d2ed | "D7"d2cB A2Bc | "G"d2d2 d2ed |
    "D7"d2cB A2D2 | "C"E2G2 "D7"FGAF | "G"G2B2 "C"ABcA | "G"B2AG "D7"F2EF |[1 "G"G6 Bc :|[2 "G"G8 ]|
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    What a happy tune. And clearly designed to expose dancers who are not familiar with it and make a conspicuously loud footstep in the silence of that 3rd quarter note, I suspect. It's an attention game, dispersing the inertia of groove.
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    A beautiful presentation as always David. Love these tunes you come up with...one suggestion...can you change (custom) your thumbnail - it is a picture of you looking grumpy. ??
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a very catchy tune, David, and once again very well delivered.
  5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Ginny, the problem is that I look grumpy even when I am having a good time and that makes me grumpy!!!
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ginny, I am with David concerning our grumpitational values - in my videos I can take any frame for a thumbnail and never show off that lighthearted friendly carefree soul of mine
    But seeing David play is a true delight. He shows us what it feels like to be a kid again.
  7. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Really cool tune and beautifully played as always, David.
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I love watching David getting into the groove of a song, it just takes over him. However, I stand by my thumbnail comment - there are ones you have done with that green and black wall-paper background - those are classy. You can make any thumbnail up now as custom - like a book cover - it doesn't even have to be in the video. (although i try and do a title and merge into the first shot.) But in the end the song is terrific anyway !!
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Another lovely tune, sensitively played David, thanks.
    But who’s Bill?
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The octave mandolin and the mandolin (helped by a concertina and an electric bass) harmonize well on this nice Swedish tune!
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great to see and hear you play mandolin again! What needed fixing?
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    It's kind of a long story but here goes. I used to play mandolin in a contra dance band and at the time I thought it would be better to get a pickup installed on my mandolin rather than mic it. When the pickup was installed, the saddle was cut down to make room for the pickup. A few years back I had the mandolin set up and the pickup removed. When the pickup was removed they put a shim under the saddle to get to the right height in the slot on the bridge. When I noticed that it was getting harder to play my mandolin I discovered that the original saddle was being pulled out of the slot due to the tension of the strings and due to the fact that it wasn't sitting all the way down in the slot due to the shim. To make a long story even longer I had to make a new saddle out of a piece of micarta. I do not have the skills of a luthier so it was a bit of challenge and it needs some modifications but it made it much easier to play.
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for this happy recording, David. It was fun to listen to it on my smartphone during my early breakfast two days ago. (5:00 am. Psssst! – the family is still asleep.) With the power of decent speakers, I could enjoy your bass playing and all the frequencies a lot more. Great.