The Mist Covered Mountain (jig)

1. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    This is a Junior Crehan jig that I've always liked. Here are the ABC's from thesession.org
    I didn't learn it from those ABC's though, can't remember where I learnt this one from!

X: 1
    T: Mist On The Mountain, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Ador
    G|EAA ABd|e2 A AGE|~G3 GAB|dBA GED|
    EAA ABd|e2A AGE|efg dBG|BAG A2:|
    a|age a2b|age edB|AGE G2A|BAB GED|
    age a2b|age edB|AGE G2A|BAG A3|
    age a2b|age edB|AGE G2A|BAB GED|
    EDE G2A|BAG ABd|efg dBG|BAG A2||

The session lists it as The Mist on the Mountain, with "Mist Covered Mountain" in brackets.

2. Eddie Sheehy
    That's mighty, Jill.
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thank you, kind sir!
  4. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Wow, very good playing, Jill.

mc
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm going to try this one, but you set the bar so high on those flawless triplets!!!!
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    So, as I'm learning this, it has just seemed so familiar. Then, as I've been playing it over and over, I realized it was very close to a tune I already knew... which is dangerous when you are learning a new tune, as sometimes you accidentally start playing the other one! Took me a while to remember what tune it is similar to, but it's come to me that its a tune i learned as Rakes Of Kildare. We play it in a medley with Brian Boru's March.

Here's Rakes from thesession

X: 1
    T: Rakes Of Kildare, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Ador
    |:EAA AGA| Bcd e2f| g2g efg| dBA G2D|EAA AGA|
    Bcd e2f|gfe dBG| ABA A3:|aea aea| aea b2a|
    g2g efg|dBA G3|1aea aea| aea b2a| gfe dBG|
    ABA A3:|2 EAA AGA| Bcd e2f|gfe dBG| ABA A3|
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Okay, this is for ya'll who like to learn by ear... here's what Jill's doing (pretty much) slowed WAY down! This is really an easy to learn tune, as it falls great under the fingers and has a real 'flow' to it! Good tune to work on your DUD DUD picking!

8. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Well, it doesn't seem as intimidating the way Barbara does it, but Jill is just Smokin' those frets, i didn't even realize she was hitting triplets till i read Barbara's post. one can only hope that some day...........

mc
  9. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Great playing. Thanks for posting that slow version - I will learn this one over the weekend.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Tenor banjo player Brian Kelly plays this MUCH faster on his "Plain of Jars" CD, so I thought I was playing it fairly slow in comparison! One of my favourite versions is the one tenor banjo player Brian McGrath does - it's not quite as fast as B. Kelly's, but faster than mine...
  11. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    I think your speed was up at around 120 ish. I can get a jig to that speed if I really work at it for a few weeks. It won't be near as clean as yours and it won't have the embellishments. But I cannot for the life of me get a reel up to those speeds. It is a goal. I have to get up in that range to play contra dances - certainly 110.

I should say Jill, you really have the ability to keep the musicality and rhythmic quality in these tunes when you get up to speed. It does not go unnoticed.
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks Rob! I too am still working on getting my reel playing up to speed but definitely end up having to ditch some ornamentation to do so!

I've noticed recently that when I go busking I'm able to play quite fast - I'm always a wee bit self-conscious when playing in that setting and tend to trim the ornaments out of tunes or stick to more straightforward ones and the knock on effect has been increased speed! I reckon as the muscle memory for that sets in then I'll start trying to sneak the ornaments back in.
  13. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Just fabulous, Jill, and you rock on those triplets. I'm afraid my fast twitch muscles won't twitch that fast.

Thanks for the learning version, Barbara, and for your great job maintaining the group. I've learned some really great tunes here.
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I have to agree that when Jill is playing, you feel like you are sitting in Ireland, at a great Session (or however it's spelled to be more Irish, haha!)....

Thank all of ya'll, for being such a great group~ I've said it before, I think that we all get SO MUCH from this group.... great new tunes, great technique, and most of all, great camaraderie! And, ya'll are pretty well behaved, so I don't have to 'maintain' much... just link to the new posts in the table of contents, put up a new poll every week... and try to learn these tunes~
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Haha, as I'm reading that, "All of ya'll" I realize my "Suthern Bay-ell" is sounding out loud and clear!!!
  16. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Barbara, while "ya'll" is widely know and universally understood, i'm pretty sure "ALL of ya'll" can only be uttered (or typed) whilst actually IN a State that was once part of the Confederacy. So when you're in Texas it's OK, but in Iowa, it's a NONO.
    Kidding aside, an old and dear friend from South Carolina uses that phrase all the time and, at first hearing, this old Yankee's ears found it a bit awkward but it actually makes perfect sense. It also reminds me of a more polite and genteel side of our society. Here in 'ChicagoLand' an old lady driving 45 in the fast lane of the Interstate would provoke obscenities, in the South you just smile and say "Bless Her Heart."

mc
  17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Here, here - a big tip of the hat to Barbara - this group rocks! It's fun, informative, great for learning and full of a lovely bunch of folks!
  18. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Lovely jig, but somewhat confusing to me: I know a completely different tune under that name, which while it is also in jig rhythm I've only ever heard played as a slow air. I may record it with the next batch...

X:323
    T:Mist Covered Mountains, The
    T:Chi Mi Na Morbheanna
    B:Scots Guards Standard Settings V.1
    N:Transposed from Bm for comparison
    Z:Nigel Gatherer
    L:1/8
    M:6/8
    K:Am
    A3 A3|e2 e e>dB|G3 G3|B>AB A>GA|
    c3 d3|e>fg B>AG|A>Be d>cB|A3 A3:|
    e3 e3|d>eg e>dB|G2 G d2 B|e2 e d>cB|
    A3 c3|e>fg B>AG|A>Be d>cB|A3 A3:|

Martin
  19. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    There are two tunes with the same name - I have a recording of the "other" Mist Covered Mountain recorded by tenor banjo player David McNevin - I too was surprised the first time I heard it and it didn't resemble the Junior Crehan tune that I knew so well.

Cheers,
    Jill
  20. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    just picked this one up yesterday after seeing Jills excellent video on youtube, smashing tune

21. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff Lawrence! Lovely bounce and drive to it all at the same time!