Week #481 ~ George Booker

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    The first two links posted by Barbara say that "George Booker" is the reel version of the Scottish strathspey "The Marquis Of Huntly", which I recorded a few years ago.

My recording is quartet of two mandolins and two tenor guitars, using an arrangement by Robin Garside. Unfortunately, Robin has deleted his website and I don't seem to have downloaded the PDF -- it's probably on a printout somewhere in my home.

Mid-Missouri M-0W (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar (x2)

Martin

[Edit: Just noted that there may be two separate "Marquis Of Huntly" strathspeys: one called "The Marquis Of Huntly's Farewell" and the other just "The Marquis Of Huntly". My recording may not be the tune also known as "George Booker" -- certainly it doesn't much sound like the two videos posted by Barbara.]
  3. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Martin wrote: "... Just noted that there may be two separate "Marquis Of Huntly" strathspeys: one called "The Marquis Of Huntly's Farewell" and the other just "The Marquis Of Huntly". My recording may not be the tune also known as "George Booker" -- certainly it doesn't much sound like the two videos posted by Barbara."

Yeah I think you're right, the 'farewell' version sounds to me like a different tune.

The non-farewell, regular Marquis of Huntly tune is also in a different Song-a-Week thread you started a couple of years ago, I thought it was a fun tune so I did my usual electric video version there.

(An aside, in that video I can sure tell the difference between my low-spec slow old laptop PC I had back then, vs the more capable computer I have now - the old one could not keep up with recording processes and always had pops and static which got into my recordings. Whereas, my current computer does not have those issues, mercifully... finally a decent PC, it's only the second really useful one I've had since the 1990s. My playing hasn't improved much the last couple of years, and I'm still using the same instruments, but at least now I can record stuff better! Lol)

Martin wrote: "... Unfortunately, Robin has deleted his website and I don't seem to have downloaded the PDF -- it's probably on a printout somewhere in my home. ..."

I still have that PDF, I'm looking at it right now in fact, but I assume that it's under some sort of arranger's copyright thing so I'm leery of trying to post it here or anywhere else for that matter (I'm trying to avoid being scolded for doing naughty things). I suppose I could try to contact the arranger and see if he would allow sharing the PDF. I don't see a way to post PDF's or even offline image files via private-message, so even to send you just one copy via PM I'd have to first publicly post the PDF somewhere so as to be able to link to it, thus my reluctance to do that without getting permission first. Let me know if you want me to try to email the arranger to get permission.

(Which reminds me, the next time I post one of my own written arrangements, I'm going to put a Creative Commons NonCommercial (or something) license on it so that people don't have to worry about these things if they just want to play some music.)
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Here it is on an Irin in the key of A.