Cavehill - traditional Irish jig

1. pluckinstrings
    pluckinstrings
    I searched high and low and did not see this one amongst the vast list of awesome tunes. So I hope you all enjoy it! I love the melody. I love the layers. This traditional Irish jig was so fun to learn.
  2. John W.
    John W.
    I enjoyed listening this tune, Jason…and I’m sure I’ll enjoy learning to play it at some point in the future.
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    It was a fun to listen to your three mandolins, Jason. Great video.
  4. pluckinstrings
    pluckinstrings
    Thank you very much!
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine playing, Jason, and an interesting use of the harmony parts in your version.
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I really enjoyed this Jason. I know you worked hard on this and the layers are audible and clear especially with headphones. Nice work.
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Fou instruments playing fine music, Jason.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Brilliant work! You play this really well and have produced a great video to showcase it.
  10. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely playing , great jig and surprisingly one i haven't heard before, i was actually walking on the Cavehill yesterday here in Belfast, my Mother lives at the foot of it.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Hey, Lawrence I thought this tune was really well known, years ago someone told me it was written in Scotland about some place over there but then became popular around Belfast because of the same place name.
    -Though I’m probably miss-remembering the story.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    What a sweet mediterranean ambience this arrangement creates, I can see it all in my head - palm trees, blue sea, white boats, olive oil...
    Wait - Irish?
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ha, ha True, I heard it down here, but it was played by an Irish fiddler...
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Simon, you mention hearing Cavehill identified as a Scottish jig. I am not sure about that but we have a great Scottish 4-part pipe jig called Cork Hill that is popular in sessions. Here is a link to one of our finest pipers, Pipe Major Stuart Liddell of the World Champions Inveraray and District Pipe Band, teaching the tune on YT. It is a long video but you get the tune played at a slow speed at the start and Stuart has a lot of great ideas about learning and memorising a tune which can be applied to our mandolins as well as to the bagpipes:

https://youtu.be/lo_KZMwHhc4

15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John.