Christmas Eve (reel)

1. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well I did a search of the archives and couldn't find this one - great Tommy Coen reel, fitting for the month that is in it. Played on my brand spanking new Girouard Concert model oval A (Port Orford cedar top with a one piece maple back):

T: Tommy Coen’s (Christmas Eve)
    S: Inishbofin Ceili Band - The Dear Little Isle
    R: reel
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Gmaj
    D2DE G2GA | B2dB ABGA | ABGE D2DE | GABG ABGE |
    D2DE G2GA | B2dB ABGA | BAGE DEGB |1 ABGE G2GE :|2 ABGE G2GA ||
    BGBd edeg | a2ge g2eg | a2ge g2ge | dedB ABGA |
    BGBd edeg | a2ge g2eg | a2ge d2BG | ABGE G2GA :|
    BG (3GGG DG(3GGG | eg (3ggg egdc | BG (3GGG DG(3GGG| EA (3AAA EAcA |
    BG (3GGG DG(3GGG | eggf g2ga| bg (3ggg egdB |1 ABGE G2GA :|2 ABGE G4 ||

2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That new mandolin looks great and produces an amazing sound under your hands, Jill. Congratulation to you and to the instrument makers! I like the images you offered in your thread “Joining the Girouard club - commissioned a build!” That’s a beautiful choice of wood.
    And I’ll try and learn this reel.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    If a tune can ever be called "optimistic", this is it. Belongs more in Christmas morning, when those three ghosts have left.
    This mandolin benefits incredibly from the cedar top which makes it sound almost like a bouzouki.
  4. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Wonderful! That is one beautiful and beautiful-sounding mandolin! Congratulations from Oklahoma
  5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I agree with Kay, that's a great sounding mandolin right out of the gate, I love your varitaions as well, very fluid.
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers everyone! I'm so chuffed with this mandolin - I sold the Collings months ago because I wanted to have a buffer of time in the event the market was a little slow, didn't want to wait til the last minute and then stress about having the rest of the cash for the Girouard. Was thinking I'd probably spend a few weeks shaking the cobwebs off my playing but the Girouard is such a joy to play, it feels effortless!
  7. Brian560
    Brian560
    That sounds awesome. Ill agree with David on the fluidity of your playing. There wasn't even a hint of struggle in the way you played that. Also a compliment on the head-stock dog, its a nice touch.
  8. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Merry Christmas ... Eve.

9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff Mike! I feel like I end up only playing this tune when the holidays roll round because of it's name, but it's such a great reel it deserves to be played more often!
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing Mike, nice one, this is another of my favourites but also another that I haven’t yet got under my fingers. Thanks for the motivation.
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Merry Christmas to you, too! Some good tone coming from your mandolin there.
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great picking, Mike.
    I was amazed by Jill's playing, gave the tune (very slow) try... And forgot about it.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes it was Jill’s version that got me to print this tune out, lovely playing, but I too found it a bit overwhelming at a technical level.
    I especially like that stuttering rhythm. May try it again soon.