Mandolin Compare. Weber Bridger, Weber Bighorn, Collings MTO

1. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    I heard this as "Traditional Tune From Trondelag". It seems the actual name was unknown so if you recognize it please let me know it's proper title. I posted a version a long time ago but have better recording equipment now.

This is a recording using my three mandolins to compare the sounds. Microphones and recordings were the same for all.

Here are the record times for each Mando:
    Weber Bridger = 0 to 56 sec
    Weber Bighorn = 56 to 1:50
    Collings MTO = 1:51 to 2:48

2. crisscross
    crisscross
    Interesting comparison, they all sound fine, but I have a slight preference for the Collings MTO, it has the most complex sound to my ears.
  3. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Nice tune and interesting comparison - I listened through both my stereo system speakers and also my headphones - (same conclusion both means) - all three sound good, but the Collings sounds much more . . . . mature? Not sure how to describe.

Thanks for the comparison.
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I really like the sound of the Bridger here actually. They've always intrigued me from way back when I first started playing mandolin, lovely stuff Robert!
  5. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    I have a hard time deciding too ....that's why I have all three. The Collings is the lowest price model in their line. It has Engleman spruce on the top and Just sounded warmer and more open than the other 5 or 6 that I played at the same time. The Bridger belonged to an employee of Weber. He had recieved it as a bonus one year and said it was the nicest sounding mando in the shop at the time. His daughter need a horse so the mando went up for sale. I have considered selling it once or twice but then I play it and can't quite pull that trigger. The Bighorn always draws me in.

It is interesting to hear others preferences.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I would accept the Bridger. You may to retain possession of the others.

To be honest it is hard to compare these fine instruments. It’s mainly a matter of taste. You get a good tone out of all these mandolins. Additional there is the look of the wood and how it feels to hold and play each mandolin, the stories around …
    It wouldn’t be easy to say good by.
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Lovely! I, too, have a Weber Bridger, that I bought used and thought it was going to be my forever mandolin (and I still have it), but I found myself in Fiddler's Green in Austin Texas a few years back, just killing some time, and came away with a brand new Collings MT2O that I just love!!!!
  8. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Yes, Fiddler's Green is a VERY dangerous place.