gander in the pratie field/ hare in the corn

1. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    been really enjoying playing with a thin pick lately, its great craic from behind the mandolin , not too sure about sitting in front of it, may just sound thin and noisey but here goes anyway

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    The pick sounds good to me, Lawrence, and you get a real drive into the two tunes. That mando has a big volume body, surely?
  3. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thanks John it has a large body alright and I think the f holes give it more volume but also its not build like any mandolin ive seen or owned, when you look inside where the sides meet the back there isn't the usual ladder type bracing , not sure if that's the right term but the sides just meet the back clean with nothing there, ive probably explained that all wrong but Ill send you pic if your interested.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Of course, every pick is involved in the process of building the tone. It’s our bow.
    And it gives us a physical feeling. I guess if that feeling is good for us, we play better. Sounds like you use the right pick for you at this moment. Who knows what you feel tomorrow…
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It does sound different from your recordings with the Blue Chip pick, but it sounds very good! The drive and confidence you put into your tunes is quite something. Always great to see your videos.

By the way, how thin are we talking?
  6. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thanks G, its a 50mm, great for double stops, terrible for triplets
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lawrence says "thanks John it has a large body alright and I think the f holes give it more volume but also its not build like any mandolin ive seen or owned, when you look inside where the sides meet the back there isn't the usual ladder type bracing , not sure if that's the right term but the sides just meet the back clean with nothing there".

Lawrence, it sounds like it might be a carved back on your instrument, since there is no visible bracing. How is the soundboard braced - is it braced or perhaps carved as well? It is quite a distinctive instrument among those which feature here regularly and has a great sound. I note in another posting Jill says it is a Forster creation.
    By the way, your answer to Dennis re pick thickness is a misprint, I am sure! should be 0.50mm?
  8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nicely played as always Lawrence! Must experiment with a light pick when I pick me mandolin up later, just for the craic like.
  9. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simon did a nice recording of The Hare in the Corn in a new discussion.
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great, driving rhythm there Gortnamona, nice!
  11. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    That's great celtic playing, you are delivering Lawrence.
  12. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Fine playing with great drive!