Week #338 Samolynn Waltz

1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    This week’s winner is Samolynn Waltz. It’s a beautiful tune by Mark Schatz.
    Here’s a really lovely version

And here’s a wonderful version from someone we all know.

Unfortunately, I’m not coming up with tab or notation for this one. Maybe someone here can help us out with that.
  2. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Here are the chords I used....I played the melody by ear so I can't help you with tabs

Intro
    I Dm I Dm I Dm I Dm I

Part 1
    I Dm I Dm I C I F I
    I Dm I Dm I Gm I A I
    IDm I Dm I Gm I Dm I
    IGm I Dm I A I Dm II

Part 2
    I C I Dm I C I F I
    I C I Dm I A I Dm II
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    First video coming up as not available, Marcy. Luurtie, lovely arrangement of a beautiful tune.
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's strange. I just tried it and it's working fine here.
    Thanks for the chords Hendrik.
  5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Based upon the above videos this is what I came up with:

X:1
    T:Samolynn Waltz
    R:Waltz
    C:© Mark Schatz
    M:3/4
    Q:1/4=120
    K:F
    AB|A3Ade|f2d2d2|c3dBc|A4AB|A3Ade|f2d2A2|GBe2d2|^c4 AB|
    A3Ade|f2d2d2|g3fed|A4A2|Bdg2f2|Adg2f2|e2a2gf|d4dc|
    cG ce gf|d4f2|ec eg c'g|a6|cG ce gf|dA df af|e2a2gf|d4dc|
    cG ce gf|d4f2|ec eg c'g|a6|cG ce gf|dA df af|e2a2gf|d4|
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks so much, David!
    If anyone wants to convert the ABC notation to mandolin tab or standard notation, you can do it here…
    http://mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php
  7. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Wow David, with that beautiful timing of you and that heavy drone in it, it even sounds more beautiful without tremolo!. I love it! Thanks for sharing..
  8. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    luurtie and David, both very beautiful playing, wonderfully expressive. I'm not going to try this one, but I sure enjoy listening to all the different interpretations.
  9. Tavy
    Tavy
    Very nice playing indeed from two masters there, a really nice tune as well!
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Lovely playing from David and Hendrik! The original Mark Schatz video doesn't seem to be available in the UK, but with the other two recordings and the transcription, I have a fairly good idea of the tune.

I've recorded it on my Mid-Mo, with tenor guitar arpeggios using Hendrik's chords, which fit fine. Very enjoyable tune!

No idea what the title refers to, but I've used photos of Lapland, from the similarity of the title to the Sami people.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  11. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Very nice version Martin! I love the bright round tone from the Mid-mo..
  12. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hendrik - very nicely done. Thanks for bringing this one around and for posting the chords.
    David - Thanks for posting the notation. I am pleased to say that I learned most of it by ear but your notation bailed me out on one spot and got me mostly on track with timing. Wonderful playing too...
    Martin - great rendition. The backing with the tenor guitar arpeggios worked perfectly. I really liked that.

Here's my go on mandolin, guitar, fiddle, and accordion.

13. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I almost mist this one Bob.. You did a great job, and I love the backing with the fiddle's. Did you play it all by yourself?
  14. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hi Hendrik - Thanks !! Yes, I played all the parts. Fun tune!
  15. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Thanks to David for the abc and to Marcelyn for the Mandolintab site wich is much better than Concertinanet as it will give you tab as well as notation and transpose to any key. Just for fun I got it to transpose to Emaj and here it is. Great job by Hendrick, David, Martin and Woodenfingers.
  16. crisscross
    crisscross
    Great versions of this Mark Schatz original. Thanks for the sheet music, David!
    I guess I recorded the backup track a little too fast, that's why I used less tremolo than I usually do.
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Criss, I like the warm tone of your mandolin. Your recording sounds great.
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I like the speed too, Criss.

Many thanks David and Hendrik (and Mark), I’ve combined your chords and the abc. And there’s a PDF.
    Enjoy!

X:1
    T:Samolynn Waltz
    R:Waltz
    C:© Mark Schatz
    M:3/4
    Q:1/4=120
    K:F
    AB|:"Dm"A3Ade|"Dm" f2d2d2|"C" c3dBc|"F" A4AB|"Dm" A3Ade|"Dm" f2d2A2|"Gm" GBe2d2|"A" ^c4 AB|
    "Dm" A3Ade|"Dm" f2d2d2|"Gm" g3fed|"Dm" A4A2|"Gm" Bdg2f2|"Dm" Adg2f2|"A" e2a2gf|"Dm" d4dc|
    "C" cG ce gf|"Dm" d4f2|"C" ec eg c'g|"F" a6|"C" cG ce gf|"Dm" dA df af|"A" e2a2gf|"Dm" d4dc|
    "C" cG ce gf|"Dm" d4f2|"C" ec eg c'g|"A" a6|"C" cG ce gf|"Dm" dA df af|"A" e2a2gf|"Dm" d4:|

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zggijg896i...Waltz.pdf?dl=0
  19. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for the service, atsunrise.
  20. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks atsunrise and Frithjof!
  21. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Really liking this one Christian. Lovely rhythm and tone.
  22. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That just sounds so professional and beautiful! Really nice recording.
  23. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Ginny and Gelsenbury!
  24. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely composition and really well played here, Christian.
  25. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    This is such a lovely Waltz. I liked it from the beginning. This feeling grew with every of the nice versions above. But I couldn’t watch the original video Macelyn provided. Only a few weeks ago I tried a search in YouTube – and surprise: I can watch it in Europe. And how beautiful Mark recorded his composition!

Like Martin I had no idea what the title refers to … until I checked the website of the composer were he described it with the following words:

From time to time I set out to write a tune for a particular occasion. This was the case with the Samolynn Waltz (recorded on Brand New Old Tyme Way), which I wrote for the wedding of Sam and Lynn Bush, good friends of mine who live in Nashville.
    (https://www.markschatz.net/composer)

Thanks again for sharing ABC and chords - Hendrik, David and atsunrise.
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    (another one well played Frithjof well done, you guys are so productive!)

Here’s the here-friendly version of the original!

27. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks John and very nice version Frithjof!
  28. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks atsunrise and Christian!
  29. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes, really nice with the guitar, Christian, well done.
    -and what’s the seriously nice mandolin at 0:26? A Sobell?
    I want one like that!
  30. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine version, Frithjof. It is very evocative tune.
  31. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, John.
  32. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice Frithjof. I seem to think this wants to be called the Salmonella Waltz, but I'm sure that's waltz blasphemy. I like the rhythm you have going on here.
  33. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks Ginny.
    Oh yes, that would be very bad waltz blasphemy.
  34. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    But pretty funny!
  35. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I like songs with funny names...can you imagine what I re-named the Kerfunken Jig? - yes, yes you can !
    Happy Thanksgiving to those that have it this weekend.
  36. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    I can...you would sure have to be careful introducing that tune if you were performing it somewhere...