Sarona

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is a beautiful slow air composed by James Scott Skinner (The Strathspey King) who lived from 1843 -1927 and was born in the parish on Banchory in Aberdeenshire. He was a prolific composer and performer and many of his tunes have become standards among musicians all over the world. Aberdeen University has an amazing on-line archive on Skinner, his life and works.

My arrangement features guitar, mandolin and octave with keyboard bass.

2. Brian560
    Brian560
    I like everything about your presentation. The tune, playing, arrangement, and visuals are absolutely perfect.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Scott Skinner is always an excellent choice and your rendition does it at least as much justice as any old SRS, John. That river very much reminds me of the Tay roaring past Grandtully in Perthshire, where we used to stay for a visit to Aberfeldy..
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff John, and how relaxing it is to listen to this while also watching that lovely flowing water!
  5. Bren
    Bren
    Very nice John!

I thought I had heard every JSS tune but this is new to me.
  6. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    What a lovely recording,
    A fine arrangement and playing.
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Beautiful tune John. Our MC energizer bunny. How do you get the water to move so slowly? It really adds to the mood of the tune.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, all. It is such a lovely tune, and really short, as you will have noticed!
    Bertram, the Tay at Grandtully eclipses my local River Echaig that features in my video, but after a wee spate it can look the part. The weir here features in many of my film clips, you may have noticed! It is always different at each visit.

Jill and Ginny, The water effect is done in my video editing software. I can stretch the clip to lengthen it and this slows down any motion. I reduced the clips here to around 40% of real time as I wanted a dreamy feeling.

Here is a link to the Scott Skinner collection at Aberdeen University; I forgot to put it in the posting above:https://www.abdn.ac.uk/scottskinner/
  9. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for these two and a half relaxed minutes!
    When ever I need to relax I can hit the play button of one of your videos. This kind of remedy will work immediately. Amazing!
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thank you kindly, Frithjof. Glad you enjoy the videos.
  11. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I must have overlooked this beautiful and vey well played tune. The flowing water adds to the relaxing effect, very nicely done John!
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Christian. I find that I also miss some of the postings at times as we have been a very active group recently.
  13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Active enough to make catching up after a couple of weeks' absence a fair challenge! As Jill and Frithjof said, this is very relaxing and beautiful. I find myself looking forward to the next set of moving images from your area, almost as much as to your playing.