Week #57 ~ Ash Grove

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Ash Grove.

Here's a page with notation, all sorts of lyrics, a little history of the tune.

Here's more from Wikipedia

Here is ABC from www.thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Ash Grove, The
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: waltz
    K: Dmaj
    |: "A"A2 | "D"d2f2ag | "D"f2d2d2 | "G"e2 gfed | "A"c2A2A2 |
    "D"d2fedc | "G"B2G2B2 | "D"A2d2"A7"c2 | "D"d4 :||: e/f/g |
    "D"a2fgab | "D"a2g2f2 | "A"g2efga | "A7"g2f2e2 | "D"f2defg |
    "Bm"f2e2d2 | "A"c2a2"E"^g2 | "A"a4 A2 | "D"d2f2ag | f2d2d2 |
    "G"e2gfed | "A"c2A2A2 | "D"d2fedc | "G"B2G2B2 | "D"A2d2"A"c2 | "D"d4 :||

Everyone, have a safe Memorial Day weekend (well, everyone in the US, at least!)
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    The Ash Grove .tef

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...2&d=1275054620

Please drive Gently out there this weekend, Friends.

monkeyhead
  3. Chuck Naill
    Here is my contribution, http://www.box.net/shared/gf3m98bpvx

I am using a prototype Charles Jean Horner A5, an Eastman fiddle, with a Martin classical guitar.
  4. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Wow, Chuck really great production, graceful playing.

michael
  5. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thanks for showing us how it is done Chuck! That's one of the lovliest versions I've ever heard.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Beautifully arranged and played, Chuck. Lovely blend of instruments. Off now to have a try too.
  7. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Very nice Chuck! I've never heard a nicer version of that tune.........yet.
  8. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    That was really great, Chuck! I'm glad Barbara wrangled you back into the group!!! Looking forward to more of your contributions!
  9. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Awesome Chuck....beautiful. I can only lower the tone a bit with my version which is Beauty In Tears from Deborah Greenblatt's O'Carolan For Two Mandolins. I needed oxygen for going so far up the neck! Well a cup of tea sufficed! O'Carolan purists get a bit upset by it being Ash Grove, but that is what the Welsh call it...... I'm English, it's a great tune either way!
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    Dearstone D1A and a Weber Tamarack #2 Mandocello - experimenting with a Zoom H4 as a microphone with a Microsoft LifeCam. Volume isn't great... I think I'll stick to the Sony Handcam.

11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    The Ash Grove played on my new Mandonator with some pre-recorded tenor guitar, guitar and bass as backup.

12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Awesome David, great arrangement and the craziest-looking but sweetest-sounding banjer I ever saw. Plus we get to see what's on this side of the room.
  13. Chuck Naill
    Thanks all, I really appreciate nice comments. I need to learn to do videos, listening to those good looking mandolins and the nice recordings is inspiring.
  14. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely versions one and all! I'm completely intrigued by the Mandonator by the way...
  15. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Nice smooth versions all, especially Eddie playing left landed for the first time that I have seen.

Love the Mandonator - thought initially it might be some cybernetic organism sent back in time to destroy Mandolins...
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    You'll occasionally notice that we, in the SAW Social Group, are ambidextrous in our playing abilities!
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A good tune really brings out the best in the performers! Great versions all round and I am offering this one here, done on mandolin, octave and guitar, again using Reaper. Only effect used is a touch of reverb on the master track.

Backing pix are ones I took recently on the Isle of Islay, another beautiful part of our beautiful county of Argyll. No relevance to the tune, but I wanted something to go on the video clip and they are prettier than I am!
  18. Chuck Naill
    Great recording and pictorial John. Thank you for sharing.
  19. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    That was the business there John! Really lovely.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, that's an excellent production John.
  21. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    This is a favorite tune of mine. For any who might want them, www.jaybuckey.com has tab, notation, and "karaoke" mp3s of this on his "what's new" page under the "Beauty in Tears" item, as well as on his free stuff page as "Ash Grove".
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well, now, this is what The Ash Grove would sound like if it was a bluegrass fiddle tune in 4/4. I call it "The Lonesome Ash Groove"

23. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Now that was different! Shades of "The Battle of New Orleans" (if that's the one called "8th of January" over the other side of the Atlantic?) in some of your phrases, OS. Very interesting and very listenable too.
    Loved the backing.
  24. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks John - yes, I'd say maybe Eighth of January, Forked Deer, Bill Cheatham, Monroe's Hornpipe and even a dash of Blackberry Blossom. Maybe I should have called it "The Mash Grove".
  25. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    David, you continue to amaze me with your inventiveness and creativity while managing to make it all musically appealing. Fantastic idea and execution.
  26. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks David, I really appreciate the compliment.
  27. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I have to say that is a really wonderful version OS, you make the Eastman talk! Wish I could play like that. Great stuff. John, beautiful version and I thought I was watching an episode of Monty Hall's Great Escapes!!!!! David, great as always, the Mandonator is a fascinating instrument but I couldn't afford the polish!!! Eddie, you are corrupting me with that Tamarak, I think Trevor's got one down in Brighton......hmmm......
  28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is mine on my Slingerland May Bell tenor banjo

29. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Nice Barbara. That sounds pretty cool on banjo.
  30. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    On my Morgan Monroe MMS-4. (The rest of the t-shirt says, "Who cares about the other 4%." Obviously I'm math-challenged.)

31. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great work by everyone above!

Here is my version from the 1896 Fletcher's Standard Mandolin Tutor as a mandolin duet with myself.
    I pre-recorded the Teacher's part, played it through my speakers and played and recorded the Pupil's part over it.

The Pupil is supposed to tremolo the quarter notes
    But I am still working on the version with the tremolo.

32. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Manfred, I loved it!
  33. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Great duet, Manfred.
  34. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Manfred, do you think you could put up a recording of just the 'teacher' part?
  35. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Barbara, if you PM me your email I can send you the audio file and the pdf if you want it.
  36. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Manfred, I really enjoyed that!

Eric
  37. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Martin, I don't know about the 4% but I'm rubbish in third position and you are fine.
    Manfred, excellent duet, and like Barbara asked, can you do the teacher part. And many thanks again for all the valuable help with the Zoom.....I'm much happier now.....
  38. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Barbara, Mike, Eric and Tosh, many thanks for all your praise.

Tosh, if you PM me your email, I can send you the audio track and also a pdf file.
  39. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Tosh, I didn't even know that was called "third postion." It was just "up higher on the fretboard" to me. How do I figure out all that position stuff anyway? I would have called that second position. Oh, wait, I see . . . first position starts on the two lower courses at the first fret, second position starts on the two upper courses at the first fret and third position is what I was doing. Got it. I guess.
  40. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Yeah I can't play by ear Martin, I need dots....however I am finding this book pretty useful for anyone in the same boat as me: http://www.scotlandsmusic.com/defaul...1525.pic-2.htm
  41. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thanks Tosh!
  42. Susanne
    Susanne
    I've had too little practice but here's my contribution. I'm sorry you see so little of the Gypsy but I have no good spot to record right now... had to move my little bar table when my parents came to visit.

43. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice, Susi! I'm glad you got an OM that you are really connecting with... sounds lovely!
  44. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Susi, I agree with Barbara, it's a lovely sound on your OM and nicely done. My ten string isn't far off now and I can't wait to try the low c......don't know what I'll do with it but I can't wait......
  45. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Susi, nice playing there and lovely sound. Good to see you posting more often again.

You guys should stop intriguing me with your octave mandolins.
    I am very susceptible to such temptations, but I am actually busy enough with learning the mandolin.
  46. Susanne
    Susanne
    Thanks lads. Yeah, it is such a GORGEOUS instrument!! Hehehehe, Manfred, actually an OM will actually help you to learn the mandolin because there are some stretches that are good for you There's always a reason to buy an octave mandolin, LOL!

Regarding posting, now when I have the OM I am tempted to start over from week 1 and record all the Irish tunes!!
  47. monkeytroy
    monkeytroy
    Im behind. Still wanted to post.

48. Susanne
    Susanne
    It's ok to be behind, always good to see people post. Nicely done, and I LOVE the looks of your mandolin.
  49. monkeytroy
    monkeytroy
    Thank you! I have enjoyed playing it and would definitely buy another Weber.
  50. Susanne
    Susanne
    So that's the famous Weber. On your other video I noticed it has a Celtic knot (or something that looks like one) on the head. Very nice!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast