Week #437 ~ Bransle de Chevaux/Horses' Brawl, 16th Century French

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Bransle de Chevaux/Horses' Brawl, which was submitted as a 16th Century French tune.

I found this on thesession.org. Be sure to read the comments, and see the other suggestions for notation.

This is from abctunesearch.

Here's another standard notation and mandolin tab

2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I have a question for those familiar with this tune. Most of the notations has it with 3 parts, each played just once, but one has it with 3 parts, each part played twice (with a repeat). Which is more common?
  3. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    I've always heard it played with each part played twice. In the videos you posted too, only the last chap plays it just once, so he's clearly in a minority!
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, here's mine, as usual, played slower than you would in performance! Twice through on my Collings MT2O mandolin.

5. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    That's fast. How did you manage to learn it that quick? Excellent playing too!
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I recorded this back in 2012. First time through solo on my Embergher bowlback, second and third time through in four-part harmony on second mandolin and tenor guitars. Harmony from Steve Hendricks:

http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/

Martin
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof

Dancers on a medieval market in Germany copied the movements of horses.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    lurrtie... thanks! For some reason, I can memorize these simple tunes rather quickly.... The hardest part for me, in this tune, is that, for me at least, I have to use 'economy' picking rather than adhering to the picking pattern I have ingrained in me.... down on the beat, and up in between.... so, it's not the actual notes to play, that is hard, it's the pick direction!
  9. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    Well played Barbara - it never occurred to me that the F might be played natural instead of sharp in the third section until hearing your version - I shall have to listen more carefully at my next session it's quite likely they do too, and have been too polite to correct me!
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely versions Barbara and Martin!
  11. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    A lot of interesting comments at thesession.org

"It’s very often played with a low F natural in the last part.Opinion is divided."

"this melody is a médiéval street music from the 13th century"
    - hmmm, do you think the origins might really be that old?

"'Horses' is given in Orchesographie as a mimed branle (danced with miming and gestures)" - sheds light on the video Frithjof offered
  12. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    I like the F natural, too. Frith, thanks to your description of the video I can understand the name of the tune; very interesting.

Martin, thanks so much to the link, that's a good resource. I always enjoy your 3- and 4-part harmonies.
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s my attempt. Work in progress, of course. Should become more fluent and get a more lively rhythm.

I had a lot of fun to try and play with my other instruments to accompany myself. But I couldn’t spare the time to make a multiple track recording.
    I decided to play it in the key of D. I tried all thinkable sharps and flats and naturals in the third part. Maybe my version isn’t right for scientists but it works for me.
  14. Brian560
    Brian560

Here is my try at the horses brawl
  15. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Well done Brian. Please tell us about the instrument you are playing there.
  16. Brian560
    Brian560
    Maudlin: My mandolin is a 1920's Martin BK (koa). It is one of the instruments a Martin employee was allowed to make for themselves after a certain number of years employment. Its body is a little deeper than standard, and its appointments vary from the standard B-model of the time period. I also tried a 3mm prime tone pick.
  17. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It took me a long time to do this! 2018 was not a good year for mandolin playing, but perhaps 2019 will be better.

I decided to turn this into a set together with a Danish tune I learnt from the amazing Basco's (http://www.bascoband.com) workshop on traditional Danish music at the 2017 Broadstairs Folk Week. I can't quite remember the name of the tune, but I think it was "If you could see inside my heart" or something like that.

Two fun tunes!

18. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Good job. I liked both tunes. I hope 2019 gives you more mandolin time and we get to hear more from you.
  19. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    In enjoyed your set... nicely played, thanks
  20. Brian560
    Brian560
    Nice playing on this one and a good job blending the tunes together. Horses Brawl was one of my favorite SAW tunes.
  21. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you for the friendly comments! I already have as many recordings in 2019 as I did in 2018, so it's a good start!

I wonder if there's a Dane in the group, who could help me remember the correct title for the Danish tune.
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Here is the connection to the same tune as Horse's Branle with an above not mentioned very fine arrangement of WillFly and a new one of Simon.
  23. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof here’s the clip I posted to the other thread:

https://youtu.be/lFhb1MmWI0U

(I did wonder about the apostrophe)
  24. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing there Dennis, I missed this back in April, what’s the name of the first tune?
  25. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That is super lovely Simon. I miss your shorts tho.