Got myself into a bit of trouble this week ...

1. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    ... out in the big forum.

First, I posted a link to a Jazz Fake Book I found in google search, and the next day my post was deleted by moderator. I was concerned about having broken rules, and I apologized to the moderator and had a discussion with him. I also studied a bit on the history of the "Fake Book" - which answered my question about what was the problem here.

Although the book I linked to had no info on who was the editor, and no copyright notice for the book itself (I had checked before posting), the great volume of musical pieces it contained were under copyright. The whole history of fake books was interesting, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_book

The moderator indicated that it is common to pass these around, but that they can't be posted in open forum, because of possibility that it could cause legal problems at any time now or in the distant future. Aids such as these fake books must be dealt with in PMs or emails if at all, though Scott has offered such in blog posts as well: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/e...p-jazz-players

They can't be posted in the main forum, which is indexed almost immediately by google.

An upside for me in this is that I went delving into the whole fake book thing and ended up with many hundreds - over a thousand - scores for personal use. I was astounded at the number of Fake Book PDFs available for immediate download just with a simple google search, "Fake Book PDF"

I know none of you are probably interested in having any of these fake books, but if you check out such a search, just click on the links to actual PDF downloads that are found i the search. Beware of the links to websites that may have clickbait stuff on their pages.
  2. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    The other trouble I got into was posting to a discussion about chords. It seems I have once again gotten too technical and shown a bit too much interest in being accurate and questioning terminology in discussing arcane facts about chord theory in a thread in the music theory forum. The main reason is that my mind is occupied with this stuff, due to the fact that I'm in the midst of writing a book of mandolin chords.

The book was coming along nicely until I came upon a chord I wish to include that spans 5 frets. My graphic only spanned four frets. So I altered it to have a five fret form to use. Then, the next batch of chords I dealt with contained a form that spans six frets!

Now I am at a temporary standstill, as I need to go back to square one on my neck-fret-chart graphic, and create a new set of graphics that will more easily allow me to cover these kinds of differences. What fun.

In all though, things are not so bad, in fact it's great to have things to do ...
  3. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    Hey I killed a thread this week. I just pointed out that discussing chinese tariffs could devolve into politics and that caused the thread to be locked and blamed on me. Moderator wouldn't even respond to my message.
  4. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Thanks for reminding me, I saw that Kevin!

"Newbie Troublemakers of the Forum"

Have a cuppa joe on me
  5. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Kevin, if it's any consolation, I've had a few posts run afoul of Scott Tichenor in the past, innocently so.

In my experience, Scott never responds to PMs about such things, either. I guess he considers it a waste of his time. My personal response is, "Well, it's his website, I like it here, forget about it."

IMO, there's no shame in being shut down by Scott. Can happen for any reason, and he is the Supreme Leader here, so 'why' doesn't matter much. Every grain of wheat can't always be separated from the chaff, and the miller's not going to waste time worrying whether he's inspected each grain carefully.

At least your post is visible, and folk can draw their own conclusions. Sometimes they'll delete your post and people have no idea what terrible thing you must have done to be censured so.
  6. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    I am always afraid that I will get blocked from the Cafe when they hear my playing . . . but, so far I have apparently managed to fly under the radar . . .
  7. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Now that was a funny bit of unwarranted, self-deprecating humor, Mike!
  8. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I once mentioned in a thread reply that a certain common mandolin-related word was a slang word in another language that should not be uttered in polite company. The post disappeared completely. No explanation, but I decided not to ask. Been a good boy ever since.
  9. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    What are we going to do with you boys?
  10. OneChordTrick
    OneChordTrick
    Hank now you’ve got me intrigued! Probably best not to ask though
  11. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    But - Louise . . . I thought women liked 'bad boys'!
  12. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Mike, I would respond, but I don't want to shut down the Newbies group. Lol

Mark, you caused quite a stir with that PayPal fees post.
  13. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Oh well.
  14. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    the whole diminished chord thread was super intriguing Mark, and you managed to get a response from one of my mandolin idols -- Don Stiernberg