Replacing Strings

1. Michael Kinch
    Michael Kinch
    I think I need to replace the strings on my mandolin. What do you suggest? Light, medium etc.
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    That depends ...
    Lights are good for: 1) some mandolins are very lightly built and might be damaged by the higher tensions of mediums or heavies - these might include older models like old Martins, bowlbacks, older models without trussrods; 2) lights might be easier on your fingers if you haven't developed a good set of calluses; 3) lights tend to have a reedier sound and if you like that, well, use them.

Heavies are good for: 1) primarily volume - higher string tension increases the sound; 2) impressing folks ("You use heavies? Wow, let me see your fingers."); 3) tendency to a darker sound.

Mediums are might be considered a compromise for when you like some attributes of lights and some attributes of heavies. But on a mondern mandolin mediums are good all around strings.

I would recommend using mediums. Many pros do and most non-pros do unless there is a compelling reason to use lights. I have never used any heavies, still quite happy with mediums. So far I am pretty happy with good old D'Addario EJ74 but I have used and liked several others.
  3. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    That's not an easy question!

What kind of mandolin do you have, and do you know what strings you have on it now? Bowlbacks usually want extra-light strings. An instrument without a truss rod may be happiest with lights. Is it new or old? Will this be your first string change?
  4. Michael Kinch
    Michael Kinch
    I have an Eastman MD305. It will be my first time changing strings. I bought it new so not sure what is on it. I am guessing medium.
  5. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    The Eastman MD305 ships with D'Addario EJ74 strings (medium).

When I had the 305, I once used some lighter Martin strings, but the mediums drove the top better on mine. Eventually, I tried the EXP74CM strings, and they did the best job for me, so I stuck with them. I use EXP74CM on my Washburn and Collings as well.

There is not a great lot of difference between EJ74 and EXP74CM strings. Both are medium gauge sets, the EXP74CM are coated strings, and the E pair is slightly heavier which is why "CM" - "custom medium" set due to a slightly heavier E string. These are a bit more expensive than the uncoated EJ74. Either set would be fine for you.

My experience with MD305 is that it is a bit overbuilt (a bit heavy, thicker top, back and neck) than the Collings. I think you'd need at least medium gauge strings of whatever brand to drive the top well. That's just my personal opinion.

Like Henry, I've yet to try heavy gauge strings.