September 2018 Tune Project

1. Sleet
    Sleet
    September's tune is Kitchen Girl. There is a lesson and play along tracks at Mandolessons http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/...s/kitchen-girl and lots for videos on youtube.

This is one of the first tunes I wanted to learn, so hopefully I'll get it on video this month and Henry won't be keeping the monthly tune project going all by himself. All others welcome!
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Well, I am hoping that some of the new Newbies will join in and some of the old Newbies get back in the groove after their summer vacation.

Kitchen Girl is a new tune for me. I like it, so I am in. There are several arrangements on mandozine.com and at thesession.org.
  3. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I like those tunes that change keys, or go from major to minor in the B part. Great little tune there!
  4. mreidsma
    mreidsma
    For those who use back up tracks, Baron's "Guitar Only" tracks on that lesson are actually mandolin and guitar together. You can find 2 speeds of guitar only at the Old Time Jame Machine, though: https://www.oldtimejam.com/
  5. bbcee
    bbcee
    Actually, the mandolin fades out after a few bars. That's Baron's way of "orienting" the player.
  6. Bluegrasscal_87
    Bluegrasscal_87
    This was a fun little diddy, haha

FYI: In case your wondering where the name came from, Delmar is my grandfather who encouraged me to pick up the guitar and learn to “pick the thang”, which has developed into a lifelong love of all things bluegrass, haha. I though it only appropriate to honor him by naming my little musical projects pseudonym after him.

7. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    In case I am not the only one having trouble with Justin's video, here is what I found on YouTube based on the underlying page coding for this thread:

And it is a good one, too.

I am having a lot of trouble getting that run up to B and back down on the E-string. I have been driving the wife and the cats crazy. I don't know why it is so hard to do cleanly. Right now I am ok about one time in four.

Justin, good job. I like the hat, too.

Played at jam speed, too. I clock it at about 115 (230) bpm. Whew!
  8. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Thanks for revealing that video, Henry.

Justin, beautifully played and a great cover photo. Thanks for explaining the name to us. I like what you're doing, I think you have a talent for bluegrass.
  9. Bluegrasscal_87
    Bluegrasscal_87
    Thanks for doing that, HH. Sorry for the issues with my original video. I'm having some issues with that run as well. I keep landing on the Bb; you can here it in the recording.

Thanks, Mark. That means a lot. I really appreciate that!
  10. bbcee
    bbcee
    Yea man! That's a great tempo. Seems like that climb's got us all wishing for more flexible pinkies

Great first post on this fun tune - well played!
  11. bbcee
    bbcee
    Alright, here's my shot at it, quite different than Justin's - I've gone more down the old-time road. Most of the ideas were taken from the "Old-Time Festival Tunes for Fiddle & Mandolin" book & CD, with others taken from here & there. Sir Baron Mandolessons provides the backing track.

12. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Nice, bbcee. Was that your waldola in the second run-through? Or maybe an octave mandolin? It really adds a haunting flavor (flavour?) --- taste. That is a different kind of A part to the tune, too.

I gotta get on the ball with this. Been busy this month experiencing life outside of mando-mundo. But I'll have something.
  13. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks HH - yes indeed, my mandola second time around. I like that in addition to the sound contrast, the double stops sound so nice on mandola, you just want to throw them in wherever possible. I think it really adds to that haunting sound.
  14. Bluegrasscal_87
    Bluegrasscal_87
    That sounds beautiful, bbcee! I love it. You're notation is so smooth and nicely recorded. What did you use to record the mandolin?

Thanks for sharing!!
  15. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Very nicely done, Bruce. I enjoyed listening; I love the different tones you get there. Great contrasts.
  16. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Nice work, gentlemen. Those versions are as different as can be, and both work well.
  17. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Outstanding to both of you
  18. Sleet
    Sleet
    Two excellent submissions. You are hard acts to follow, and yet:
  19. bbcee
    bbcee
    Hm, I'm getting "Video is unavailable". I'm out of the U.S., so not sure if it's that or not.
  20. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Same here. Tried to fix it but I haven't been able finagle the page code link and get it to work. FWIW, here is the link from the served up page source:
    https://www.youtube.com/v/AgYgiK3FEK...fs=1&rel=0

I think the problem is in the ID string "AgYgiK3FEK4" . Maybe a typo?
  21. Sleet
    Sleet
    Thanks for the tech fix attempt. It was showing up in preview. I re-published it and that might have fixed it.
  22. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Well worth the wait, Sleet! I like those triplets in there. That plus the bit of swing you put into it make it sound a little bit hornpipey.

I got a almost pretty good video two days ago and have been frustrated trying to get a real pretty good one. So I am headed into my production studio and will be posting in an hour or so.
  23. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    OK. Here it is.

24. Sleet
    Sleet
    Hank, so nice that I listened twice. Love the double stops and slides and confident pinky strikes. Great job.
  25. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Those are excellent offerings. Sleet, the double stops really added a lot to that A part. Well done.

Henry, oh my, that mandolin has a great tone and you are bringing it out. Great job playing with backing track, you are doing a good job playing in time with that track and sounding great. You're using a lot of technique in your playing and pulling it off well. On your way to recording contract! Great vibe.
  26. bbcee
    bbcee
    Great arrangement as always, Sleet. I also like those triplets you're throwing in.

Henry, that metronome work is really paying off - you nailed this! Love that slide at the end of the second A sections. Have we made a friend for life in that Weber? It sounds like you two were made for each other.
  27. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Thanks, folks. It's a fun tune and I enjoyed working on it. The adjustable tempo "backing track" by way of TablEdit's midi playback is my metronome and not only is it a lot more fun than the old tick tock pyramid, I think it has provided an extra benefit: it seems to be helping me recover from mess-ups and keep going with the tune. Plus I have measurably increased my comfortable playing tempo since I have been using it.
  28. Bluegrasscal_87
    Bluegrasscal_87
    Great job Sleet and Hank! I enjoyed listening to both of those. I love how we can all have a different “interpretation” of the tune. That’s what I love about this group and this music.
  29. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Sleet, outstanding submission. Really enjoyed it
  30. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Hank, I really enjoyed listening to your submission as well. I love your slides and how you made this tune your own