Week #134 ~ Off She Goes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Off She Goes, which was submitted as an Old Time tune.

Here's some abc from thesession.org. Be sure to read the comments page for lots of discussion about this tune!

X: 1
    T: Off She Goes
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Dmaj
    |:F2A G2B|ABc d2A|F2A G2B|AFD E3|
    F2A G2B|ABc d2e|f2d g2f|edc d3:|
    |:faf d2f|gbg e2g|faf d2f|ecA A2g|
    faf d2f|gbg e2g|f2d g2f|edc d3:||

If you do a Google search on the tune Off She Goes, you can find several similar abc's out there.

This tune is what is called a single jig. Most of the jigs that we've covered so far have been double jigs.

Here is one definition of single jigs (from wikipedia)

Musically, the Single Jig tends to follow the pattern of a quarter note followed by an eighth note (twice per 6/8 bar), whereas the Double Jig follows the pattern of having three eighth notes.(twice per 6/8 bar).
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Here is the .TEF for Std Notation and TABs.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...0&d=1321643461
  3. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    No mandolin content but this is what it sounds like.
  4. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    A splash of Irish whiskey and a jig to warm up for a gig ... what better way to start the weekend? Even if the B part of this tune is out to get me!

5. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Okay, thanks for showing us how it's done Mike!
  6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nice playing Mike, I know what you mean about the B part. You pulled it off better than I did. Here's my version on octave mandolin, mandolin, baritone guitar and concertina.

7. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Super David! Balance was just right. Unhurried and clean.
  8. Toycona
    Toycona
    David, you're in the middle of a great run of recordings. Well done!
  9. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    That Sobell is one of the sweetest sounding mandolins on the planet, David.
  10. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    That Sobell is one of the sweetest sounding mandolins on the planet, David. That a KSM32?
  11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks Mike, I don't know what a KSM32 is. Sobells have no model or serial numbers just the month and year they were finished. Mine was finished in June of 1995.
  12. Eddie Sheehy
    Very nice fellas. The words of Humpty Dumpty go great with the A part and gets a laugh at a session...
  13. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Mike, very spirited after that splash, great job.

David, another well-sounding production. Bravo.

Here is my first try (after about 20 takes):

14. Eddie Sheehy
    Off we go in a single take... on a Gibson A5 L

15. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Sounding good, boyos!
  16. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    A jolly little tune and well played by all. Here it is on a Gremlin.

[/YOUTUBE]TJoSFwOFWEc[/YOUTUBE]
  17. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    The Youtube icon does not seem to work anymore. Can anyone tell me what Im doing wrong?
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    lets try this

That seems to work. What you do is start at reply (not quick reply). Type your message. From your youtube video, copy the code in the URL after the "=". Then, in this message, click the 'tube' icon, and paste the code in the box. hit OK, then try 'preview message'. Looking at what you posted, it looks like you did something differently, as there is a "/" in front of the first YOUTUBE, and there shouldn't be!
  19. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Thanks for your help Barbara. When I click on the Tube icon instead of the box which used to come up where you pasted the Youtube code this now appears:

[YOUTUBE[/YOUTUBE]

I tried pasting the code in the middle but it did not work.
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    That's weird. It worked on mine... When I clicked on the icon, I got the box to paste the code in. Looking at what you have, if that is what you continue to get when you click the youtube icon, paste the code including the "=" into the first [YOUTUBE] so that it reads [YOUTUBE]TJoSFwOFWEc]. Note that in your first post, where it didn't work, you had a "/" in that first code, and that symbol is supposed to be in the second group. What you paste goes into the first [YOUTUBE], not between the two.
  21. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Not much time this week, but I didn't plan to quit after just one week, so here's my posting.
    I't a little different and not that perfect after playing it 5 times, but I hope you like my interpretation.

22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Luurtie, very interesting variation!!!

Not sure what is going on with you tube, or the internet. I've made a video of this tune, which plays great in my iMovie, but I've uploaded it 3 times (and deleted all 3) to youtube, and they all are jerky and distorted!
  23. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I have been having the same trouble with the YouTube icon that Maudlin had. It's been going on for weeks. I've had to go back to previous posts and copy, paste and edit the HTML to make my last three or four posts. I thought it was just me.
  24. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Finally, this time the video uploaded to You Tube with no issues!

25. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    Oh very good Barbara. Very smooth and clean. I am trying to emulate your technique and rid myself of bad postural and fingering habits.
  26. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Really fine technique there, Barbara. Both hands excellent and that pinkie really gets a clean note each time. Very good instructional video this would be!
  27. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Some fantastic renditions this week, and it's a great tune. Here's my effort taken from the Fiddlers Fakebook, a bit of a case of pinky lazyitis but I'm glad I managed to get through it......

28. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice Tosh. Very clean and you get great tone from your mandolin.
    I'm envious of your closed hand picking technique. I've been working on
    that lately. I think it drives the pick and pulls more sound from the instrument.
    For me it's still a work in progress.
    Gary
  29. laura809
    laura809
    Off She Goes would make a great medley with last week's tune, Tripping up the Stairs. I saw a version on youtube that combined them. As usual, I really enjoyed watching all the previous posts.

My kids are all home for Thanksgiving break. You will see why I usually try to record when they are at school.
  30. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Too funny, Laura. I totally identify. In my pre-kid days Jeff and I used to go to jams all the time, Everyone else in attendance was retired and had played for years. I was always wondering about the low percentage of female participation. It made sense pretty quick though after the kids came. Looks like you're overcoming the distractions and time hurtles though, and you sound awesome.
  31. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Laura... that was awesome! Are they all your kids? And such a well mannered dog!
  32. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Laura - Your ability to concentrate is far superior than most. The tune sounded great (as usual) and it looks like your kids had a enjoyable moment with mom as well. Thanks for your weekly contributions and have a Happy Thanksgiving.
  33. laura809
    laura809
    Marcelyn, I've enjoyed seeing home movies pop up in some of your videos. An old Christmas song thread just resurfaced with some nice videos.
    Barbara, I've got 4 kids and they all had friends over when I was trying to record the song of the week. My son was the only one of my kids that did not show up in the video, though I'm sure he contributed to the background noise.
    Mike, thanks for your comment, and Happy Thanksgiving to all!
  34. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Whew! Finally. I didn't think I'd ever get through this twice. As it is, the finale is a little weak.

35. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Nice playing Martin. You have your own style. It's nice to see all different styles of playing. B.t.w. Martin have you ever tried a fat pick, I think your mandolin will sound warmer when you use a fat pick with a round edge. I use Dawg Picks, but I think Golden Gate's or Dunlop Jazztone 207 are good choice.
  36. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Luurtie, I think you meant me, altho you wrote Bertram. Thanks for the suggestion. I use a a Golden Gate, but it would probably help a lot if I would change my strings. They are long overdue.
  37. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Sorry Martin, I meant you (already changed it). New strings should also help. I just wondered Which strings do you use?
  38. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    What an infectious little tune! Great versions everyone... Laura if you can maintain concentration through all of those distractions, then you're ready to play anywhere!
  39. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Hahaha! It's been so long since I put strings on I don't remember what I used! I'm going to do it today though. I'll let you know once I dig them out.
  40. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Oops, you have to dig them out. It's for sure your plectrum is fine. Make sure you change your strings every 10 years.
  41. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall... It's played here on a Kentucky KM600 mandolin backed up on a guitar tuned DADGAD. Off She Goes...

42. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Another fine recording Micheal! You gave it a nice warm sound. Lovely.

I did put new strings on today luurtie and it makes a big difference. GHS Professional bright bronze 38, 28?, 16, 11.
  43. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hi Martin, did you do that for me?Wow. I also use GHS PF270 40-26-16-11. Good strings I think.
    My compliment Michael, very nice composition. You can put it all on your cd
  44. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Hope there's room for a VERY late entry.
    Another one on the Spira zouk.
    Cheers!

45. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    So, I'm really late to the party. I can see I play it too slow. I usually play too fast though. . .

Very nice (much) earlier versions for sure! I'd take any advice for external microphone and how to add a guitar track. I got a macbook and use iMovie with built-in mic.

f-d
  46. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    This tune poses a number of questions. Who is "She"? Going off how? Off why? Off where?

47. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I could imagine some stupid answers but who cares?!
    Your playing is great – that matters!
  48. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ha, ha, Frithjof not fair, you often write what I’m thinking, and then I find it difficult to think of something to write!
    Yes... see!?
    -nice articulation Mike, and sparkling mandolin there. And thanks for the reminder to record this sweet English classic.
    Sorry I cant think of anything else to write because Frithjof has already said it.
  49. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Would the tune sound differently if it were named "She Goes Off"?
  50. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thought I’d join in the fun.
    Apologies though, something happened to the audio file...
    Any ideas of why this sounds a bit odd?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast