Week #494 ~ Maddie’s Pride

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week’s winner is Maddie’s Pride, an original tune written by David Hansen. I am posting this from my phone, so I would appreciate someone (David??) if someone could post video, notation, etc!!
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Barbara, this has already been featured here in December 2011. David posted it and there is music notation, etc all online in the thread. Several of us submitted versions at the time, and the thread was being responded to as recently as 19th March.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    what John said. As if for your convenience, that other discussion is on the first page of discussions, a few lines below this one, at the time I am writing this
  4. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    X:1
    T:Maddie’s Pride
    C:David Hansen
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    K:A
    AB|"A"c2e2c2|"E"B6|"A"AB cB AE|"D"F4AB|"A"c2e2c2|"E"B4A2|"D"(F6|F4)AB|"A"c2e2 c 2|"E"B6|"A"AB cB AE|"D"F6|"A"AB ce fe|"D"
    dc BA FB|"A"A3 "E"aec|"A"A4ag|"D"f4fg|f2e2AB|"A"c2e2c2|"E"B4a g|"D "f4fg|f2e2A2|"E"B4(B2 |"A"c4)ag|"D"
    f4fg|f2e2AB|"A"c2e2c2|"E"B6|"A"AB ce fe|"D"dc BA FB|"A"A3 "E"aec|"A"A6|

http://mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRXR9RGcfU

Although Maddie's Pride has been featured I think it is a nice honor to have it listed as an official SAW. Having it as week #494 definitely renewed my interest in it. I've tried my best to paste the ABCs and an ABC converter. Looks like my link to David's youtube performance is only a link and not the embedded video. Although I've embedded before, years ago, I cannot remember how to do it properly; don't know why my poor wee brain cells are so stubborn.

Thanks for giving us such a beautiful waltz, David Hansen!
  5. JL277z
    JL277z
    John wrote: "featured here in December 2011"

Bertram wrote: "that other discussion is on the first page of discussions, a few lines below this one, at the time I am writing this"

For future-proofing (since the order of threads may change if new posts are made), here are clickies to the other thread:
    Page 1, and
    Page 2.

Thanks Kay for the abc's and converter link.

Kay wrote: "Looks like my link to David's youtube performance is only a link and not the embedded video."

Maybe this will work...

Kay wrote: "Although I've embedded before, years ago, I cannot remember how to do it properly"

Well, FWIW, a quick screen-grab mini-video showing what I clicked:

(or direct link)

(For some reason, I can never get the alternate film-strip-icon method to work here at Song-a-Week, so I use the red icon method as shown above. YMMV.)
  6. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Thanks, JL... I took a screen shot so maybe I can do it next time. And thanks for the links to the other discussion... I completely forgot to do that.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Re-posting my old recording of this (almost 8 years ago! man, we are a historical society of our own making).

8. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Bertram, I like your double notes on the OM. I haven't been able to play double notes unless they are no more than on the next fret, but I'll keep working on it. They are much easier on the regular mandolin, of course, but I still don't do much of it.

(For anyone reading) Are double notes always called double stops, or is the term double stops referencing a run of double notes or something?
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hi Kay, as far as I am aware, double stops are any two note played together, and can be single examples or a run of notes. I believe it maybe comes from fiddle players, but I'm sure others will add to this information.
    (By the way, I sent you a PM re tunes you were asking about).
  10. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Thanks, John. The fiddle reference makes sense... we have a "Double Stop Fiddle Shop" around these parts. Well, we did have; it is the one that recently burned to the ground.
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I forgot that I recorded this fine tune! Gonna have to work it up again...

12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great version of a beautiful waltz, Michael. You use so versatile playing technique – I like all these ornamentations as well as the hybrid technique.
  13. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks Frithjof! I only wish I had kept this tune in my musical memory. Since I rarely tab anything, it's good to have a visual YouTube reminder that I'd even played the tune!
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great version, Michael. So good to have you back here again in the SAW group. Interesting hybrid picking going on there too!
  15. crisscross
    crisscross
    Today, I found the time, to also record this beautiful tune.
    Thanks David for this nice waltz!
  16. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nice sounding mandolin with some lovely tremolo work. I think the older, broken in instruments sound the best! Over time they seem to "learn" how to respond to what the musician is trying to bring out in the music!
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    What did I miss out on - Michael's back (good to see you again) with a grassy version and Criss with a Classical one. Just when I thought nothing was happening here any more...
  18. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Hey there Bertram. Thanks for the warm welcome... and thanks for the kind words from John Kelly too. By the way, the hybrid picking technique comes from playing my telecaster. I don't use it as much as I should.

About double stops. All the fiddlers I've played with have said that it's the bowing of two notes at the same time. It can be as simple as the melody notes played with an adjacent open string or as complicated as two fingered notes at the same time. The mandolin uses double stops as well, in a way that mirrors the fingering of a fiddle. However, they sound differently because of the difference between a pick and a bow.
  19. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Michael and Bertram!
    BTW: back in my Telecaster days, I also played some hybrid picking, but I never tried it on my mandolin.
    Here, I'm more a classical picker using a Wolle pick.