Good Advice

1. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I was reading the thread about asking questions of the Punch Brothers, and was interested in the report ... thought I'd share this part to the Newbies Group in case you haven't seen the thread.

QUOTING ...
    I personally asked what advice they would give to someone learning their instrument. Noam commented that it is important to remember that this is a choice you are making, so if you keep coming back to it, hold in your mind that it is because it is something you love, not a chore or a job. He also said that you should split your time practicing between things you love and things you are actively working on because they stretch your playing. Gabe added that you should always play with a metronome, and seek out players who are better than you, they will elevate you to their level just by playing with them.

Thile said that you should always hold in mind an aural vision of what you want to sound like, and always hold that in your mind and try to remain objective as you think about the way you sound now, and think carefully about how to get from where you are to where you want to be. Eldridge tagged on that since most of us have smartphones at this point, we have the capacity to record ourselves practicing very easily, and that the objectivity of the microphone can help keep us grounded while we work (Thile tagged back in and said that "you might think you sound really kick ass while you're rocking out, but the recording reveals something....different..."). Paul wrapped up by just adding that you should always make sure you are working on something that is actually fun, and brings you joy.
    END QUOTE

The actual thread is located https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...s-one-question

As an aside, just coincidentally, Chris Thile, in that interview, mentioned the set of strings I mentioned this morning in another topic here. So history lesson in order I guess on those strings. The custom medium set, EXP74CM from D'Addario, was developed with suggestions from Chris Thile. He preferred D'Addario medium, coated strings on his mandolins, but wanted the E strings a bit beefier. I'm not sure why, whether for the tone he wanted or just to solve a breakage issue he was having, I don't know.

As for myself, when I began playing mandolin, I felt that the high strings always sounded just a bit harsh but thin, and I tried the EXP74CM at some point to see if it made a difference for me, and I felt it did. That's why I shell out a little more money for the custom coated set. As with everything, there are some who love that set and some who hate it and some who feel it's just not right for them.

Probably the best way to find what you like best with strings is to try a lot of different brands and materials, experiment with buying singles and build your own perfect set. I just don't have time for that at this point in my life.
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Interesting set of answers. I feel reassured and encouraged by the sound, practical advice by all except CT. His answer seems to be more appropriate to those who are already good, sound, steady workaday mandolinists and who aspire to greatness. I'd really be ecstatic to reach good, sound, workaday skill level; I'd be all grinny at considerably less. Heck, I'm having fun right where I am, trying to push that metronome up one more notch on the TOM.
  3. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    You're too modest Henry, I think you're already a good, sound, workaday mandolinist. I think if you were playing regularly with others you'd fit right in and develop faster than you'd imagine, if that were what you wanted to do, but you're doing just fine and having plenty of fun right where you are.
  4. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I kind of like the way Noam Pikelny uses "natural gut strings made from his childhood cat Wriggles" - he must be a very sentimental sort of chap.

5. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Makes me wonder if he actually had a childhood cat. Full disclosure: my childhood cat was named Feathers and I shudder to think about catgut strings, much less Feathersgut strings. Sheesh. And people call ME strange. Maybe that's why I never made it to banjo stardom.

edit: I guess I should add some emojis: and and
  6. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Thanks for posting that, Mark. Good information.