Week #499 ~ Rock the Cradle Joe

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week’s winner is Rock the Cradle Joe, which is an old time tune.

Here’s some notation.
    https://tunearch.org/wiki/Annotation...Cradle_Joe_(1)

And another.
    http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=ww...nes/reels/0036
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's a really driving banjo/fiddle duo.

3. crisscross
    crisscross
    I must confess, I don't know much about Old-Time-Music.
    Those clawhammer/fiddle duos certainly sound impressive, but this kind of music just ain't my cup of tea.
    But today, I felt like playing something different than my usual waltzes and this Old-Time tune seemed like a good choice.
    I downloaded the sheet music from traditionalmusic.co.uk and had a go.
    http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/am...cradle_joe.htm
    Not being technically as proficient as those fiddle virtuosos, I tried to give the eights notes at least a little swing feeling to suggest some motion...
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Well done, CC. It is good to go out of your comfort zone at times just to give yourself a wee push, and you have done it well here!
  5. Njugglebreck
    Njugglebreck
    Here's my attempt. Hope it's as good as the one above!

Jim
  6. atsunrise
    atsunrise
    CC and Njugglebreck, both great. I really like the different styles, you make the tune sound personal. Good job.
  7. bbcee
    bbcee
    Well, I was going to knock this one out practically before it was announced, it seemed so easy. We all know how that goes. I had a hard time capturing the flavor of it, but hopefully got there somewhat. I follow it with a tune I've loved since starting the mandolin, which I first heard from Butch Baldassari (and have been working on ever since).

8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Well done, all three.
    I like the interspersed chords throughout the tune, bbcee.
  9. Njugglebreck
    Njugglebreck
    Yes...It does sound good!

How are you doing that? I do like the multi- instrument sounds, but I think I'd have a hard job playing in time with myself.......
  10. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks for the nice comments.

@Njugglebreck, the interspersed "chords" I think we're talking about are me hitting the drone notes to fill out the sound. In the second tune, I'm using the open D a lot and then choke it off. I've used Little Rabbit as a string control exercise for a long while, it's a good one for that.

It's easier to doubletrack yourself than you think. You know your rhythm better than anyone. It falls into place pretty quickly once you get used to multitrack recording.
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks to all of you who made the fine versions of this great old time song. I'm liking the extra time to work of this one as I didn't know it at all. I worked out the mandolin and guitar breaks and also found some time to research some lyrics for the tune. The mandolin is my 1980s Kentucky. The guitar is my small bodied Martin. I added the clapping and the lead singing on one track and then the harmony singing on another.

12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I like the instruments, but I love the harmony singing! We don't get much of that around here.
  13. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice solo mandolin version bbcee!
    Fantastic playing, singing and multi track recording, Michael!
  14. bbcee
    bbcee
    Super fine, Michael, that's a master class in & of itself. I love the second verse lyrics. No hamburger icon to add, unfortunately ...

Apologies to @crisscross & @Njugglebreck - two excellent versions as well!
  15. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Well done Michael. I really enjoyed that.
  16. atsunrise
    atsunrise
    Really nice Michael, your Pretty Boy Floyd vid too, thanks.
  17. JL277z
    JL277z
    All good versions. And Michael, I especially like your choice of notes on the guitar, the bass-lines you're using.
  18. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    bbcee, I liked the verse about MacDonalds when I read about it. Old time music should be fun.

JL277z, one of my favorite things is to play backup guitar for banjos, or mandolins and especially fiddles. Sine there was no bass, I was free to let the guitar take that role as well. It's something that should be held in check if there is a bass player however! Thanks !