the spotted dog jig

1. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    just picked this one up yesterday, so not quite memorized yet, hope i not double posting but i couldnt see it on any of the lists

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Catchy tune and a great sound you have there!
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Lawrence! That's your Forster mandolin, right? Another tune for my summer time "to learn" list!
  4. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thanks John and Jill, it is a catchy one alright. yes Jill thats the Forster, was a little heavy handed with it there but it didnt seem to mind
  5. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Very nice tune, and well played, as always. What weight of pick do you use?
  6. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thanks Colin, i'm using a blue chip tp 40 there, think thats 1mm, though not 100% on that. been trying lighter pics lately but always come back to the blue chips , they do triplets all by themselves !
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Excellent, and nothing heavy-handed that I could recognise.
  8. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Well, it seemed like time to revive this one. I have really been enjoying it lately so here is my go at it.

Composed by fiddler John McEvoy

Named after a pub in Birmingham, UK.

Mandolin - Weber Bighorn
    Lead Guitar - Martin 0028
    Rhythm Guitar - Gibson J45 Studio
    Bodhran - McNeela 16" Deep-Rim Rosewood

9. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Robert, your multi-instrument recording is excellent.
    I also enjoyed the pure mandolin played by Lawrence.
  10. crisscross
    crisscross
    Both versions sound very impressive!
  11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very good Robert ! Excellent triplets, very smooth.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely bit of multi-tracking, Robert. Fine balance and interplay with the instruments.
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I love this tune so I thought I'd record it using instruments I seldom play and almost never play together. The tenor banjo is new, an Ome Celtic model and it is to die for, great sound, effortless to play and nicely appointed. I'm not very good at playing electric guitar but the Telecaster makes it easier. I've played fretless bass for decades but mostly I use the standup and the tambourine I play like a hand drum. I hope you like my experiment.

oh and I know that "The Spotted Dog" is a pub, but pictures of dogs are cuter.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice one David, that’ll get ‘em up and dancing!
  15. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very nice rendition David! I really enjoyed it.
  16. crisscross
    crisscross
    I also enjoyed it, nice arrangement!
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    It sounds and looks like you had a lot of fun, David.
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really enjoyed your vid Robert, it sounds like dogs... on one of the first warm days in spring when you see them in the park, literally galloping around in the sunshine. Joyful music, thanks.
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s a vid with the picking direction in slow time.
    Not sure if this sounds very Irish when speeded up -too smooth, or not enough lilt?

The Spotted Dog (on the leash)

https://youtu.be/4BsH-UBpGoo
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    How could I miss out on all these inspiring new versions?

Robert's background information suggests that it might be possible to name a pub after each tune from, say, the O'Neill's Collection. My favourite would be getting drunk in "The Teetotaller"...

David's cameo appearance of backbench instruments, all breaking out of their prison cases for a happy outing is just gorgeous.

Sunrise's anti-timelapse version is definitely something I never could do - I'd forget where I was after the first bar and be lost. Hats off, gents!
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Getting there. Still some ‘errors’ but, well...

-thanks again to you kind people for the motivation.

https://youtu.be/EphLrBoHxQE
  22. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very nice atsunrise. It sounds good on that OM.
  23. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I left a comment on YT Mr. Sunrise..Nicely done.
  24. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Robert and Ginny -and I forgot to tune it beforehand, the E course was out. I think the triplets are a bit ‘wide’ too, if that makes sense.
    Maybe not. It’s strange, I find it difficult to assess my own tunes until a couple of days later.
    Like cooking apple pies with orange zest and fresh custard.
    (I’ll re-do the one on YouTube that was ruined by the crow!)
  25. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Nothing wrong with the E course, Sunrise. Those "wide" triplets are something that I tended to do back when I was still doing triplets at all - I find these cool and laid-back as long as they don't derail the timing afterwards, so it's all good.
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Bertram, I just tried the tune without triplets and it’s quite a lot faster and smoother... and definitely more fun to play.
    It’s like I have more time to think of the other things, rather than getting over focused on triplets.
  27. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yay. Another whole pack of puppies! Gortnamona, Robert and Simon.

Only on SAW can you hear these star canine performances!