Invitation

1. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I would like to invite all the Newbies, Newbie lurkers, and the Newbies at heart, to check out my new website / blog, "Honkety Hank's Cave" at honketyhank.com . I have been posting to an on-line journal on an irregular but more or less monthly basis, but I wanted to move away from that venue and toward something totally of my own design. I have been working on it for several months, off and on, but I think it is ready enough. I'll still be fixing bugs but I think the major problems have been ironed out.

The site consists of three major parts plus various supporting resources. The first part is my blog, the continuation of the journal I have been posting to for the last four years. I have cut-and-pasted all my old journal entries into this section, so it should be a relatively seamless transition for any who might have been following that journal.

The second is technically another blog, but it is primarily devoted to my other hobby of the moment, whittling. It is more like a portfolio than a blog. I have invited folks from the Wood Carving International forum to join also; I think they will probably be more interested in that part of the site.

The third major part is also technically a blog, but it is basically a selection of the videos I have made, almost all of which are mandolin related. Most of them are Tunes of the Month videos. I actually have some non-mandolinner fans out there who claim they enjoy listening to the way I murder various familiar old tunes.

Perhaps of more interest to this group are some of the resource pages and links. I have a page with a few TablEdit tricks and tips and I am thinking that maybe I could develop that into a major effort. There is a page with lots of links to sites where I find material for tunes. And, if you register at my site instead of just lurking, you will be able to access my TablEdit library of tunes and download whatever you want.

My major efforts in the last couple of months have been not in website design but in website security -- to that end, one aspect of my defenses is that lurkers cannot participate in any discussions. To participate, one must "join". If I don't recognize the person registering, their registration is rejected. I would love it if you were to register and "join" at the site. If you do register, be sure to let me know you are from the Newbies group in case I don't recognize your name. To find the registration page, click on the "LogIn" menu.

This is purely a non-commercial venture. I do this out of vanity as much as anything. Come check it out. Join if you feel like it. And I'll be really tickled to find some mandolinners' comments in the Doodads section. Maybe I can get a few Newbie whittlers started.

See you at the cave,
    Henry Stevens
    honketyhank
  2. bbcee
    bbcee
    I'm heading over to register, with pleasure!
  3. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    Excellent job Hank - keep up the good work!
  4. FredK
    FredK
    On my way over there now!
  5. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Hooray!

6. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    I tried to register a couple of times and received "Invalid Nonce"
  7. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Kay, I will look into that. I thought I had squished that bug two weeks ago, but obviously it has outsmarted me. (not difficult, even for a insect). In the mean time feel free to lurk.

ps: anybody know what a "nonce" is?
  8. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I did some digging out on the internet and found that we are not the only ones this happens to, but there is a suggested solution. I implemented that solution on the server and it appears to be working OK now when I register a new user. So go ahead and give it a try and let me know if it is working on your end, too.

Thanks for the heads up!
  9. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Nice work on the site, Henry! I just spent some time looking around.

Tried to register, but I was told my user name has "invalid characters." I'm too tired right now to figure out which of the eight letters of the alphabet I used is no longer acceptable. Is "s" too sketchy? "L" a loser? Maybe an "i" is incompatible with today's world.
  10. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Louise, I think that the username has to be composed of letters (upper or lower case) and digits 0-9. No accents or other things like umlauts and cedillas. No special characters except (maybe) an underscore character. No spaces or punctuation. Not sure about this as the only reference I could find was dated 2009 (!). And this seems to be a really restrictive rule. Not sure why it is necessary. Maybe there is a setting on the server software. I'll dig into it tomorrow.

So if you try again tomorrow and it doesnt work, let me know. PM me with the problematic username and I'll see what I can find.
  11. OneChordTrick
    OneChordTrick
    "ps: anybody know what a "nonce" is?"

In British slang it's a term for a sex offender, don't know if you can change the message?

Apologies if any offence caused
  12. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    That's pretty funny OneChordTrick, certainly no offense could be taken. Since I'm not a 'nonce', then I guess I am indeed an 'Invalid Nonce.'

Thanks Henry, it worked and I've lurked. Thanks for the site.
  13. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Re: Louise NM - That software doesn't allow a space. Perhaps you entered a space? Mark Gunter was not acceptable, so I made myself MarkeyG over there.
  14. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Good catch, MarkeyG—there was indeed a space. Now I'm registered as LouiseNM, and it seems to have worked. IF Mr. Henry approves me, that is.
  15. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Welcome to the cave! I did do some testing on registering new users and I have determined the following legal characters for a username:
    a-z A-Z 0-9 period (.) dash (-) underscore (_)

If there are any other valid characters I didn't find them. As noted a space character is not valid.

And I put a blurb on the registration form to indicate valid characters in the username. Note that these restrictions do not appy to other fields in that form.
  16. BJ O'Day
    BJ O'Day
    Nice site Hank. Outside of being a golfer, you seem to have it together.
    BJ