Connaughtmans Ramble

1. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Decided to have a go at fingerpicking and found (to my surprise) that I can fingerpick just about as well as I can flatpick. So here is one of my favourite jigs -fingerpicked.

2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Impressive! I like that tune, too!
  3. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    I was sure this tune had been a SOTW but I'm glad someone else has recorded it anyway:

My main reason for recording is that I'm selling this instrument, I hope that is allowed here? I wanted to post a video showing that the instrument, although very old, is quite playable. The sound quality of my laptop's internal mic is a bit tinny, but hopefully gives some idea of the sound.

The instrument is on ebay at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230788471550

Cheers
  4. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    I can only aspire to meet Maudlin's speed and accuracy at this point. That was awesome! I'm really impressed with MM's finger picking. My Daughter wants to fingerpick the mandolin, and you demonstrated that it can be done.

Anyway, I'm just going to get over myself and post this even tho' I buggered up the end here. My "countess" workload never seems to lighten, so I'm just going to do my best playing and posting music and having a good time .... boo boos and all!

5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Every tune leads to another. After the Lark-in-the-Morning thread, I looked for something to connect it with and found Saddle the Pony (which was an almost polls winner once); then, I found that Connaughtman's Rambles goes well in front of that, and that there was this thread for it already. It all fell into place.

6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played Loretta. I enjoyed that very much.

Bertram, well played as always!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Wow! A lot of activity on SAW at the moment, I have been watching but not commenting, apologies, will try to catch up this weekend, hope you’re all having a great day!
    I thought some of you guys might appreciate a tune played fast, with fingers flying freely, and outrageously capo-less!

8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ha, Simon - you fell in with bad company, they are teaching you all the wrong and illegal things
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That is nice Simon, good triplets. I envy long-fingered people who can reach a 7 on an octave with a pinkie. For us with dwarf fingers, we are jealous.
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Bertram and Ginny. I envy regular-fingered people who can reach a 7 on an mandolin with a pinkie. For us with dinosaur fingers, we are jealous.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine picking, Simon.
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice playing, Simon. I didn’t miss the capo.