Week #32 ~ Rakes of Kildare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Wow, second week in a row I forgot it was Friday!

This weeks winner is Rakes of Kildare.

Here is the ABC from www.thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Rakes Of Kildare, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Ador
    |:EAA AGA| Bcd e2f| g2g efg| dBA G2D|EAA AGA|
    Bcd e2f|gfe dBG| ABA A3:|aea aea| aea b2a|
    g2g efg|dBA G3|1aea aea| aea b2a| gfe dBG|
    ABA A3:|2 EAA AGA| Bcd e2f|gfe dBG| ABA A3|
  2. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Looks Like I'll be the first to post on this one! Here you go, Enjoy...

Here's the tab from Mandozine.com
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Excellent playing, Chris. You have good hands. Good Irish feel to it and a good lift.
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Chris, well done!
  5. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new to this group. Here is my first contribution.
    I don't know how you guys do this? But I can play a tune 20 times without problems and as soon as I press the RECORD button I mess up.
    As I am very much a solitary picker I will enjoy sharing tunes and experiences with you.
    Now I hope my first YOUTUBE recording ever will work out.
    Mandolinistically,
    Manfred
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Manfred, welcome to the group! We love having new members, especially those who submit videos! That was very nice! Tell us about yourself & your mando! We ALL experience that 'RECORD' syndrome....

This is a tune I already know, and play on my mando, so I got out one of my citterns, in a cross tuning, and am working on a cittern rendition.. about ready to start the video process!
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great first post Manfred - welcome to the group!
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'll try to get around to videoing me playing this tune on my mando, as I already know it and usually play it on the mando.

But, I thought I'd channel some of our groups CBOM players. I got out this cittern I have made by Nikos Apollonio of Rockport Maine. It's a longer scaled instrument than my Petersen cittern. It's also tuned (right now) DGDAD, a tuning I've never really learned, either!

So, here's my early rendition of this tune, played on this cittern in this tuning!

9. billkilpatrick
    my wife is from kildare - i've GOT! to learn this tune! ...
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Here's my version - keep your eyes peeled for the "special guest appearance" by my mandolin loving dog, Nugget, down in the lower right hand corner of the screen.

11. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Way to go Jill. That sounds great!! Of course Dave really makes that Octar sing too!
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks Shaun!

Dave & Barb - sounds lovely in the lower registers. I'm seriously thinking of ordering a Fletcher Tenortone as a Christmas present to myself, so I can get in on this lower register fun!

Bill K - there's a hammered dulcimer version of this on youtube and I can so visualize a
    Bill K/hammered dulcimer cyber duet of this!
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Excellent, Jill. I only wish I was as consistent with my tempo as you are.
  14. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Jill, those triplets simply amaze me. The rest of your playing, too, for that matter. Wow!
  15. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Dave and Don, thank you - you are too kind!
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Very fine playing and tempo, Jill!
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Jill, once again you are the queen of microtriplets, skipping over the melody like a stone over ripples on Lough Erne,
    David, as usual, is cruising along with the most cool and relaxed attitude possible,

BUT...
    I think Barb inspired me most with her resoundingly sinister, medieval monastery rendition (Illuminati on a night out for a pint). That cittern drone is a crowd stopper. As soon as I'm done practising, I'll post a more violent follow-up (flogging of the heretics, like)

Oh, and Manfred: welcome and a very good job done for a first timer! That camera fever you mentioned will go away after a while.
  18. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and the friendly comments on my performance! Great incentive to practice even harder and do better next time.
    Barbara, thanks so much for managing this group.

Jill, do you use a thin pick to achieve the super fast triplets? (I know, of course, that the pick alone doesn't do this )
  19. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Here's my attempt. Tom

20. Susanne
    Susanne
    Nice, Tom! it's about time I start working on this tune. Had a visit from two ladies who play Irish music on mandolin and banjo today. Got some inspiration
  21. chrisblack
    chrisblack
    Here's my "tripleted" contribution.

Chris

22. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    There's almost more inspiration here than a mind can stand. Best to all.
  23. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Chris!

Manfred: I don't use very thin picks for mandolin as I find that the tone and volume suffers too much - plus for triplets I find that thin picks tend to "lag" a bit and I can't get the snappy sound I want. I prefer picks in the .88mm - 1.mm range, and my favourite pick right now is a Blue Chip TD35, which is .89mm thick. It's a teardrop shaped pick but I use the rounded shoulder ends of it to play.
  24. chrisblack
    chrisblack
    Jill - I meant to say - I love the second part, there's a few extra notes thrown in there that add to it... have you the abc's for your version?

Chris
  25. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    This tune seems to be inspiring some fine picking this week. Here's mine, I can't do them triplets, and I don't suppose this is how it's meant to sound, but this is how it comes out when my "band" plays it.

26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS, cool, as always. The green neck scarf lends a very Irish tilt!
  27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I really plan to submit a video of me on the mando... still plugging along in Mac kindergarten, so I sure haven't gotten to the videoing part!
  28. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Come on Barb, everyone says it's easy on a Mac, I'm expecting a major production.
    I knew that scarf would win me some fans.
  29. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    OS - Three cheers for the scarf!! Nicely played as always, sir!

Chris - I don't have ABC's for the second part, I heard a version of it with that slightly different second part and learned it that way.
  30. chrisblack
    chrisblack
    Thanks Jill, I've almost picked it up from your vid.

Chris
  31. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    OS, you look quite rakish in that scarf. Nice picking, everyone.

Too much snow here in NM to do anything. Get ready, all of you in the midwest.
  32. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Following Barb's incentive, here's mine:

Dang, I just noticed I forgot to put on one of my scarves! On the other hand, they would not have featured very much with that video quality: they are all black...
  33. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A bit late but here is my try at Rakes of Kildare. I heard it on here and really liked it,so found the music on session.org and learned it over a few days then recorded it on mandolin, octave and guitar using Reaper into my laptop (Windows XP).
    Still finding it a whole new thing trying to link video with the sound files using Movie Maker. I import the audio as an mp3 using Reaper then play about with the video clips to try to sync the sound and vision - not yet very successfully!

Comments, etc gratefully accepted on playing, filming or anything else. We are all in the learning game and I am enjoying this a lot.
  34. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    John Very nice! What are the instruments you're playing?
  35. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one John!
  36. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks for input, CelticDude and Jill. The instruments are two of my own, the mandolin being a spruce top with maple back and sides and the octave is spruce topped with rosewood back and sides.
    You can see more pictures if you have a look at my website http://www.luthierjohn.co.uk where the Instruments tab (and Instruments 2) will take you to some more info.
    Thanks again.
  37. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Lots of good playing here. Jill, I like your version especially the second part. Barbara, I like your arrangement and the sound of the Apollonio cittern a lot.
  38. Eddie Sheehy
    Getting caught up is my New Year's Resolution...

39. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff there Eddie! Such a lovely tone out of that Dean 2-point!
  40. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Lovely, Eddie! But I can tell from your face that you know that...
  41. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Okay, this might be a record for a late response. Still, I'm hoping better late than never...

The first tune is "Mug of Brown Ale", followed by Rakes. This video is mainly a test of new video software that I'm testing (20-day trial). It's Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11, and seems pretty good, except for the documentation.
  42. Kristibob
    Kristibob
    That is wonderful!!
  43. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice C.D.
  44. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely and lively playing, CD. I too use Vegas for my clips and have found it does what I want - not a lot and I have not yet tried your split screen technique, so there's one to add to my to-do wishes. Mine is Movie Studio V9. I find the editing screen can be cluttered and it takes a bit of getting used to, but there is so much in it that I have never tried out yet, including the blue-screen chroma for adding backgrounds.
  45. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Dude, that is Celtic!
  46. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Thanks everyone. John - I'm also testing out PowerDirector 11 (another trial version), with this tune. I want to see if it's any easier to use. The features seem pretty equivalent, and both have lots that I just won't use. The Sony product is a little cheaper, and that may end up being the deciding factor.
  47. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great stuff CD, enjoyed your performance so much , i had to have a crack at it myself

48. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Glad I stopped by this thread to hear some seriously great tunes. Good on you both: Celtic Dude and gortnamona!
  49. WillFly
    WillFly
    Nice to see this tune surface. Some great-great-grandparents of mine came to England from Kildare at the time of the Irish potato famine, so this tune has some sentimental significance for me. Here's my version, from a video I made in 2010...

50. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two cracking versions, G and Will!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast