Mr and Mrs MacLean of Snaigow

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is an example of yet more distant co-operation, this time between two Scottish places, Dunblane near Stirling and Ardnadam, here in Argyll.
    Alison Diamond, with whom I play in a duo, sent me an mp3 of her playing this lovely tune that we last played together live at Inveraray Accordion and Fiddle Club just before the lockdown, and I then added the guitar backing, then while out for my walking exercise yesterday I got some pictures in my nearby woodland and put this wee video together. Great place to walk and be alone, as you can see!

The composer, Dougie MacLean, is maybe best known for his great modern folk song Caledonia; this waltz was written in honour of his parents.

No mandolins were abused in the making of this video!

2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a lovely tune, John. I learnt it from a fiddler friend recently. It's quite touching to hear and play a tune written for the composer's parents. Your rendition treats it with the appropriate respect and virtuosity.
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Such a pretty tune John and Alison. When our snow is gone my walks may look like this too.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    a wonderful duo, and I can only guess how you sync-squeezed that little prelude in before the start.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, all. Bertram, I recorded the intro separately on the guitar track, having got the timing from Alison's playing. I then added the guitar backing track to the fiddle track and moved the two tracks along from the start then dropped in the intro onto the guitar track and synced them by moving it to meet the other two. All smoke and mirrors, my friend!
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    John, that's exactly how I would have done it
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    If only we can get back to playing live, Bertram. Always easier to sync with fellow players when we are face to face and working together to create the tune.
  8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Amen to that John. Playing live is a lot of fun, but not recommended for the foreseeable future. Recording long distance is a different beast with its own unique challenges. And well worth the effort! You and Allison did a great job on this one.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing John, thanks. I did have one of Dougie MacLean’s CDs at one time, in California, played it every day for ages.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Many thanks to Simon for finding this posting for me. I searched, using the Advanced button, but although the button might be advanced I clearly am not!

Here is the updated version featuring my playing buddy and great friend Janine Ashall on Low D whistle. Probably better to have the two in the same thread.

11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Two fine versions of a beautiful tune. Your abilities of supporting a melody instrument with your backing are masterful, John.
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I agree with Frithjof: The backup is really nice and allows the whistle to create something magical.
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Frithjof and Dennis. Accompanying a good melody player is just so much fun and even more when we can play live, though I did add the mandolin and cello tracks after we had recorded the whistle and guitar.
  14. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Very beautiful pipe melody, supported by John's fine backup!
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    This is even better than the other version with the same title that you posted to the other thread John.