Cold Winds From Ben Wyvis

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I have searched for this tune and can find no reference to it other than some mentions back in 2014 when someone was asking for suggestions for Scottish tunes. It is also known as The Highlander's Jig, plus a few other titles.

The version posted here is the result of an internet collaboration between Ginny Aitchison in Ontario and myself in Scotland, something I last did on the Cafe with Michael Pastucha a few years back. Ginny recorded herself playing the melody on mandolin then mailed the file to me and I added guitar and octave; the pictures were taken during the heavy snow at the start of March, just ten minutes walk from my home. We both had a lot of fun producing this version of the tune, and my thanks to Ginny for suggesting this one.

2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thanks to John Kelly for all his help - this is my 'YouTube' and 'Mandolin Café' debut...I hope you like it ! Recording is a lot harder than I thought and I had to go through a few recording sessions before the sound was right. John is the engineering wiz, thank you John. It was fun !!
  3. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice tune and recording folks. Thanks for sharing.
  4. sportsnapper
    sportsnapper
    So what did we do before the Internet....? Great tune John and Ginny
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    So what did we do before the Internet

We crossed the Atlantic in a schooner, facing The Beast from the East, fought our way through the snow and had a session

A lovely collaboration project there, Ginny & John. Makes the weather look less chilly.
  6. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    That's a great collaboration, for sure!
  7. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Great job, John and Ginny!

sportsnapper wrote: "So what did we do before the Internet....?"

Well... what some of my musical cohorts and I used to do, was to occasionally mail cassette tapes back and forth. Sometimes including hand-written dots on staff paper (in varying degrees of legibility), and/or tab (depending on what the other persons preferred). Seemed pretty high-tech at the time.
  8. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Great collaboration.
    This is another tune we used to play. Here it is with The Shepherd's Wife.