Scan Tester's No. 1 & No. 2 Polkas

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    These are two polkas written by English concertina player Scan Tester (1887-1972). They are usually played as a set these days, either in this order or the other way around.

This version from Paul Hardy's Session Tunebook (who for some reason says "reels" on the score rather than "polkas"):

https://pghardy.net/tunebooks/pgh_session_tunebook.pdf

1920s/30s "Majestic" mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/ANdOg6PT6sc

Martin
  2. John W.
    John W.
    A set of polkas just right for listening to first thing Sunday morning…nice tunes, nice pace, just the two instruments, well played.
  3. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Very nice, Martin. Reminiscent of our friend Fred Pidgeon. But what sort of name is that? Our Fred sounds like he would belong in a rural village hall, but Scan Tester is more like a piece of office equipment.

And thanks for the tunebook, which looks like a treasure trove.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Sounds fine nice in the afternoon, too.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John, Richard and Frithjof!

Scan Tester was a village musician from Sussex. According to his Wikipedia page (yes, he has one), his real name was "Lewis". His nickname was short for "Scantelope", but that hardly makes it any clearer. We already had a few Scan Tester tunes in SAW: "The Man In The Moon" and "No. 1 Stepdance".

Paul Hardy's tunebook is great, I have used it for a lot of tunes in the past!

Martin
  6. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Where the deer and the scantelope play?
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Since Scan Tester was a concertina player, I wanted to include the English concertina in my video. Therefore, I decided for octave mandolin as main instrument and added nylon string guitar for accompaniment.

The scale length of my octave is 26 inches. A good reason to tune it down and put a capo on the second fret.

I had a day off today and used the pleasant weather for playing my instruments out in nature.

https://youtu.be/_xfyQLCROzA
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Frithjof, that's a very accomplished and uplifting performance on both instruments! The nature setting and birdsong always go well with folk tunes. A joy to watch.
  9. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    I agree with Dennis, Frithjof. There was something very uplifting about this - extremely well played and very warming. You look like you are having a great time out there. And, as we have discussed elsewhere, the birds really add something. I shall play it again now.
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Enchanting! Very happy to see you posting beautiful music Frithjof, I especially enjoyed the concertina and the bass runs on the guitar.
    What sort fish are there? Dace? -my favourite!
  11. John W.
    John W.
    Looks like a great day off, Frithjof. Lovely playing, accomplished and well coordinated. Great setting, inc. photogenic tree (and your handsome self, of course). An all round musical and visual package
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks all.

Simon - No dace! The slow running, muddy streams of our Auenwald are just not the right habitat for a dace.
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Frithjof, I missed this one till just now. A fine delivery on all your instruments and a picture of a man at peace with himself and the world.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Is Auenwald the town near Stuttgart?
    It may be something to do with the water? Is it a mining area?
    Dace did very well when they were released in Ireland.
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Oh, no, Simon. I’m living in Saxony. In my case “Auenwald” refers to the local riparian forest:

Leipzig Riverside Forest (German: Leipziger Auenwald) is one of the largest lowland Riparian forests in Central Europe, lying mostly within the city limits of Leipzig city in Germany. (Wikipedia)

To get an impression of Leipziger Auenwald you may remember my video of Fred Pidgeon’s No. 3 some weeks ago, where the ground of the forest on both sides of a little stream is covered with wild garlic.

Road to Lisdoonvarna is another good example - and The Ash Grove.

And you are right about the context of water quality and mining. In the region around Leipzig it used to be surface mining of brown coal.
  16. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Like John K. I somehow missed this thread. I really enjoyed your perfomance, Frithjof, the concertina adds some new coulour.
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Christian.