Laird o' Cockpen

1. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    This comes from suggestions by John and Simon on another thread. Background here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Laird_o%27_Cockpen. I recorded this at what I thought was a song-like tempo, then discovered that it is usually played as a jig, whereas this sounds a bit funereal. Oh well. Music facsimiles are from the Glen Collection, National Library of Scotland. Tab at the end.

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Richard, fine playing and really balanced between the instruments.
    Thanks too for the alternate name, I used it to find the tune here:
    https://thesession.org/tunes/3711
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good to see one of Carolina Oliphant's (Lady Nairne) fine compositions being aired here, Richard, and a fine job you make of it too. Her work deserves more general recognition as being hers rather than being attributed to others, though she indeed kept her authorship a secret even from her own family members. Even here in Scotland many of our best known traditional songs were penned by her yet often attributed to Robert Burns.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I know this as a song since the 80s, in several versions, all of them twisted in their own ways:
    Mary O'Hara
    Tannahill Weavers
    Seems to be a story of - as the Weavers called it - the worst case of attempted courtship in history.

Richard's rendition is genially ethereal and dreamy (and thus maybe a more subtle satire than all of the above)
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I like it at this speed. It's a lovely melody, which I hadn't heard before. Nice playing and arrangement!
  6. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you all. I was surprised at how much she had written, John. Sexism among the literary historians presumably.

Bertram, I will accept your imputation of subtle satire, though the truth is that I just treated it as a tune and didn't really try to interpret the song.
  7. William Young
    William Young
    I have found literary historians to be a despicable lot, generally.

I really enjoyed this, Richard. Have listened to it several times. Also appreciate the tab at the end. When I muster up a bit of courage, I might give it a try myself....
  8. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    I wondered if you would rise to the bait, William. I am/was a sort of international lawyer (partly) and there is no discipline that invites greater ridicule.

Do have a go at it.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I love you too, Dennis.
    Do you have the TAB for that?
  10. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Great picking and recording Richard!
  11. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, again, Frank.
  12. John W.
    John W.
    Very sweeeeettt playing, Richard
  13. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, John. It's a great tune, isn't it?
  14. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It's such a great tune that we need more recordings of it! Unfortunately, since nobody else has taken on this job to give me an opportunity to listen rather than play mandolin myself, this means that I had to go next.

The history of this tune seems to involve turning into a song at one point (or from a song into an instrumental?) and several different names. A Cat in the Hopper (https://youtu.be/b_ife6vYin0) is an interesting concept, but the closest match to Richard's inspiring recording seemed to be The Boy in the Gap (https://thesession.org/tunes/3711). Confusingly, this is also the name of an unrelated reel. But the reference to a boy gave me the idea to include some creations of my favourite boy!

I transposed the tune to Em, which I think is also the key that Richard played.

15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Taking the internet to the next level - telepathic transmission. How did it feel, Dennis, to have all of us digitally staring at you, because it was your turn to fill the void (and boy was it a gap)?
    Very inventive, too, with a marching snare-drum-like stride to the backing. And watch that boy: he'll make it big when Elon Musk is slurping from a feeding cup in a nursing home.
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Dennis, you make this tune very much your own in this arrangement. Fine playing and great sound from your mandolin and as Bertram says, promising future for that wee engineer!
  17. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    I think this is a great tune, and I'm glad you picked it up, Dennis. It's a really sensitive rendition and I loved what you have done with the backing. And an utterly charming video.
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Bravo Dennis, a stunning performance!
    Attention to detail truly enhancing the tune with an endearing and powerful emotional impact!
    (I enjoyed it)
  19. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Playing with a good tone, Dennis. Watching your video made me happy.
  20. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you, that's very kind! Now I look forward to your versions.