Miss Murphy

1. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Simple (and lesser known) O'Carolan tune, played on mandolin and guitar.

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Welcome Richard and nice precise playing.
    I like the tune, sounds like there are four parts with no repeats, that’s what thesession seems to say.
    Just checked, there are some transcriptions that have an A and B part, both repeated.
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Hi Richard! This is indeed an O'Carolan tune that I didn't know. It's a typically lovely melody, and you play it very well. Your mandolin looks really nice, too.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I really like this tune with it’s rambling nature and without the standard AABB structure. Thanks again!!
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Welcome Richard! You produce a nice sound with both your instruments. I especially like the classic guitar for accompaniment.

Very beautiful recordings on your Soundcloud page (listening to Soloveyko (The Nightingale) at the moment.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    An offering to be proud of, Richard. This one demonstrates how well O'Carolan tunes can be transferred to the mandolin. A tasty backing too and fine tone from the instruments.
  7. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you all for your welcoming comments.

Simon, I originally learned this as a guitar piece with an AABB structure. When I went to find a mandolin version on thesession.org, I found this one without repeats. I agree with you that this is better - and with O'Carolan, even in a simple tune like this there are always occasional surprises.

Dennis, the mandolin is by Howard Morris in Oregon. I started with an entry level instrument and then found this (on this website) when I was sure that I was sticking with it. I love the tone and it feels great under my fingers.

Frithjof, the guitar is a Ramirez that I bought in Oxford many years ago, cut price because it was slightly shop-damaged, otherwise it would have been beyond my reach. Like the Howard Morris I just love the tone and the feel. I owe Soloveyko to Simon. He has a lovely recording on his YouTube channel, and has posted the abc too. I have a video to go with that recording - I'll post it here.

John, I think the mandolin/guitar combo works in echoing the original harp settings of O'Carolan. Of course, pretty much all my recordings are mandolin and guitar, no matter what!
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great tune. Thought I’d record this one too.

https://youtu.be/wa48MAvYMQ8

Here’s the other Miss Murphy thread: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...140&do=discuss
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice version, Simon.
  10. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    You get a lovely rich tone, Simon, and with the chords and double stops it works very well as a solo.
  11. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Richard, you got that Morris singing and the guitar work is stellar, great job. Love the tone and performance Simon! Solo!
  12. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, Frank.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frank, I did drop a couple of notes on that one but I’m so busy with other tunes from Peghead at the moment, I’ll come back to it another time.
    And thanks Richard for the motivation to learn this lovely tune.
  14. John W.
    John W.
    Lovely bit of O’Carolaning on the mandolins Richard & Simon…
  15. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, John. He does transfer well to the mandolin.