Fly Me To The Moon

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Bart Howard: Fly Me To The Moon

This is an instrumental version of this 1950s pop standard, recorded in the original waltz time (before Quincy Jones changed it to 4/4 for Sinatra's recording). It also includes the verse, omitted by Sinatra.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I've always liked this as a waltz, Martin, and the addition of the verse really enhances the tune. Your arrangement and playing of the tune are first-rate as usual.
  3. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Very nice Martin. Well done! My fingers occasionally find this tune when I am noodling around but I don't recall enough of it to get more than the signature phrases. Can you post the notation? Might be something for my fiddle to chew on...
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John and Bob. The tune is pretty easy on mandolin -- just go with the groove. I've uploaded the lead sheet:

Link

Martin
  5. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Thanks Martin.
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here's an update on my 2015 recording of this old standard, this time with a mandocello lead, mandolin doubling an octave higher on the chorus.

Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I like the moment the mandolin comes in with tremolo. Nice contrast with the deep sound of your mandocello.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting comparison with your offering of nearly 7 years ago, Martin and I cannot decide between them. Listening to your current version I swapped over to headphones to get the full tones of the mandocello - on the laptop speakers the sound was just not doing the instrument justice but the phones gave me a much better experience of those low notes.

I am surprised that no one else has offered a version in all those years. Have you thought of trying a Bossa Nova version?
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    VERY nice with this instrument Martin, great playing too.
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frithjof, John and Simon. Yes, the mandocello doesn't really work on laptop speakers. I'm a bit in two minds about the intro verse -- it's part of the tune and a nice build up, but it's quite long before we get to the familiar hummable melody of the chorus. I can see why most covers don't bother with it.

I would love a bossa nova version, but I'm not sure I can play bossa rhythms. Maybe need to get into the realm of computer-generated backing tracks.

Martin
  11. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Like Martin, who played an enjoyable waltz rendition, I'm a complete newbee at Bossa Nova, so I searched a YT tutorial for a 2bar-Bossa-pattern, that I could apply to the chord changes found in an Ukulele song book. Then I played the melody on my bowlback, syncopated rather by feeling than by counting out. I hope, the tune doesn't fall too much apart...
  12. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    You took up the challenge, Christian! This is really interesting. The bossa nova rhythm sounds really authentic to me (though I know nothing about this either). I would actually have liked the guitar a bit more prominent to really bring out that rhythm. But it works.
  13. John W.
    John W.
    As Richard says, you took up the challenge, Christian…and a fine job you made of the tune.