Hangin' Dog

1. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Searching for mandolintunes I stumbled across this beautiful tune played by 'I guess' the composers of this tune "Norman & Nancy Blake". Not an easy tune for me, but after a week I managed to play it like this....

here's my version of "Hangin' Dog"

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely playing and balance between your lead and backing tracks, Hendrik. And a great tune too!
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Cool tune and flawless picking, great post, Hendrik.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I like Norman and Nancy Blake a lot.
    You played the tune beautiful. I’m impressed how you make different technics your own. The tremolo of the double stops sounds great.
  5. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Another of my favorites, I've been using this tune as marker to check my mandolin progress for the past 18 months or so. I love the tune, and love playing it, but it's a good one for highlighting all my weaknesses. Watching the videos helps me zero in on where I need to practice. There has been some improvement, believe it or not. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I haven't been following your videos for long enough to judge on improvement, but this one sounds very advanced to me. You play it calmly, with confidence and musicality, and a lot of very nice ornamentation. I especially liked the slides, which I find very difficult and don't have much occasion to use.

You guys manage to play without hitting a wrong note or missing the beat, and all that with the camera on you. It still amazes me after all these years. Bravo!
  7. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    fantastic, great tune,really enjoyed both, i wish i could play so relaxed
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That is very fine playing, Mark. Backing track gives a lovely, relaxed feel to the tune here.

Gelsenbury, re your comment about filming -"You guys manage to play without hitting a wrong note or missing the beat, and all that with the camera on you. It still amazes me after all these years." I know that some of us, myself certainly included, make lots of errors when filming, (the red, flashing light syndrome) so we just do another take - or two or three or more!
  9. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    It’s a lovely tune and well played by Mark, too.
    He also provided a PDF that’s very helpful. Thanks, Mark.
  10. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    You play the tune wonderful Mark. When I listen to my own version I realise I played it too fast. Your version is very enjoyable and a very nice tempo. I'm stil workin' on the tune and found out that the doublestops sound even nicer when I play them in crosspicking stile. Have you tried that? I never knew you had such a nice website. My compliments!
  11. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Thanks for the comments, folks.

Gelsenbury, this take was actually full of clams - just listen to Nancy play it! I think was the 4th or 5th take yesterday, and I edited out the first verse because I felt too tense and could hear and see it in my playing when I started the tune.

Frithjof, thank you so much for linking to the PDF. I write with Tabledit, and normally provide TEF and PDF files, but now that I'm in SAW I'll start providing ABC's as that seems to be the modus operandi here.

luurtie, I recorded this at 70 BPM. As best I can determine, Nancy plays it at about 80. I haven't really learned any crosspicking yet. I'm a mandolin newb, only about two years into it, and any musicality that does sneak its way through I'll have to chalk up to a 50 year episode of guitar playing. And thanks for the compliment re: my website. As usual, I had good intentions of writing a lot of stuff there, but I suppose I'm better at designing websites than religiously adding content.
  12. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Ah, and I see that I neglected before to comment on the original post! Thank you, luurtie, for posting this thread. It's one of my favorite tunes to practice, and I love what you've done with it. Your arrangement is unique. You may have noticed that I have not mastered any decent tremolo as yet, and I am always amazed at hearing other folks' tremolo.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Wooowww there!!! More great dog tunes on SAW.

Nice to hear Mark and Luurtie after a such long time!! What’s happening guys?
  14. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Hey there, Simon ... I had to search to find this so I could look up Hendrik's YT channel and subscribe. Eventually I hope to find a link to his website (or blog) so I can find some of his original tunes. I always enjoy hearing Luurtie play
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice to hear from you Mark.
    I’m still grieving over my stupid cat so this tune will help!
    Do you have the .abc? Though I can just about play by ear now…
    Will have a search and look at Luurtie’s blog.

BTW I’m a confirmed Peghead now!
  16. Malk
    Malk
    Fun tune for sure and both an enjoyable listen. Nice to read that recording is for others also a facilitation of errors experience!
  17. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Hey Malk, have you done the one where you record all morning on the same tune, do 30 takes and… finally… you get it right, then you look at the other side of the camera and see that the battery has gone?!
    Yep we’ve all been through it.
  18. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Hey Mark, you may want to have a look here: https://luurtieful.blogspot.com
  19. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    Hey Mark do you still have that pdf. I took a break from mando to reset my judo/jujitsu skills but now I'm back to a little picking
  20. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Simon, I have an ABC file for it, just not online at the moment. I'll post it here soon.

Frithjof, thanks for that!

Kevin (and anyone else interested), I have posted the PDF at my new site, www.theamateurmandolinist.com