San Antonio Rose

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I'm a bit surprised that we don't seem to have a thread for this classic yet, but I can't find it in the index.

This tune was a big hit for Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys in 1939, first as an instrumental and then in 1940 with added vocals (as "New San Antonio Rose"), becoming his signature tune thereafter.

My mandolin recording is based on the setting in D major by Charlie Walden:

https://charliewalden.com/wp-content...tonio-Rose.pdf

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

https://youtu.be/fKOwV-uFaXo

Martin
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I have always liked this tune, both as song and as instrumental. Thanks for posting your version here, Martin.
  3. bajawatt
    bajawatt
    Thanks, Martin. That was a fun one.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oh how I miss the dark skies, the bright stars and the campfires on the prairie!
    Thanks Martin, nice rhythm, this seems like a good tune for tremolo practice too.
  5. Bren
    Bren
    Thanks, one of my favourites and often played with pals, and I'm afraid we could not resist singing, but the second part a bit hard to sing for us vocally challenged types if you start too high in the first.

Bob Wills typically got round this, even with his very capable singers, with fiddle melodies by starting in Dmaj then doing a nifty key change just before the vocals came in to suit the vocalist of the day.
  6. Bren
    Bren
    But that'll be "Playboys", not "Cowboys"!
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Bren -- You're completely right. Typo on my part, "Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys" it is! I do know that, really...

Thanks also to bajawat, John and Simon for their kind comments!

Martin
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A nice western swing interlude, Martin.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Glad to hear that others found this a challenging song with its wide range, Bren!
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Your tremolo works very well (not only in this recording), Martin.