Kate Martin's Waltz

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I first recorded that waltz by Blair Douglas with my bowlback and a fingerpicked classical guitar:

Then, I had a look at YT to see what other mandolin players had done with this tune. Well, I didn't find any mandollin version. But I found a nice Bluegrass version with fiddle and Dobro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq2DzLaY_ek
    That made me try it on F-hole mandolin and steelstring guitar:
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Two fine recordings, Christian.
    I prefer the first one just because the choice of instruments. And the movements of the cute cat to the music made me smile (despite I’m not really a cat lover).
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting comparison between the two versions here, Christian, with your change of instruments. I cannot decide which one I prefer, and I wonder how the f-hole mandolin would sound accompanied by the classical guitar! Maybe another mix using the tracks you have? Fine playing.
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks Frithjof and John. The f-hole mandolin ith classical guitar accompaniment sure would be interesting, but I inadvertendly deleted the guitar track.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is a tune we play a lot at our sessions here, and I have combined it with another favourite, Margaret's Waltz. I like the key change from G to A for the second tune

Played on mandolin with guitar and bass tracks added. I recorded the two tunes together first then added some mandolin chords and the guitar and bass backing tracks. Thanks once more for pointing us to a fine tune, Christian.

The pictures are of the Falkirk Wheel, the World's first and only rotating boat lift, which joins the Forth and Clyde Canal with the Union Canal near the town of Falkirk in Central Scotland. I took them in a rare day of bright sunshine last weekend. Opened in 2002 by the late Queen Elizabeth, it is 35 metres high and replaces eleven locks which were used when the canals were previously in use. Those locks were dismantled in 1933 and the canals fell into disuse. In 1998 work began on a Millennium Project to rejoin the two canals. Amazingly it requires only 1.5kWh of energy to turn the wheel - the equivalent of the power needed to boil 8 household kettles.

6. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    These are all lovely waltzes, enjoy listening to them in their different finery.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The transit to the second waltz has a brisk freshness, like suddenly boiling another 8 kettles and serving tea for all.
    The thing I always marvel at with these boat lifts is not the lifting as such, but how they keep the seals watertight so the buckets are not dripping all over the place when lifted.
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Beautiful music, John, and thanks for the hint to such an amazing technical masterpiece.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Many thanks, Ginny, Bertram and Frithjof.
    Remember, Bertram, in Scotland even if the boat cradle did leak the rain would hide that!
  10. bbcee
    bbcee
    Very nice job you two, adding this to the to learn list. Really enjoyed the varied interpretations, as well as the fascinating history, John!
  11. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Every time I envy your accompaniments. Very nice. Thanks.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Kind words, Pierpaolo. Thanks so much.