Les Feuilles Mortes (Autumn Leaves)

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    In the Limehouse Blues thread Frithjof gave a link to a Django Fakebook and I had a browse there and found this great standard from the 1940s. Thanks, Frithjof for a great resource - so many of the old standards in one collection, with melody line and chords for each.

I can find no mention of the tune in the past entries of the SAW group, so my apologies if it has appeared - it has been in the Tenor Guitar camp previously.

I have played the verse as well as the better-known refrain, and interestingly the tune begins in 6/8 time before going to an easy 4/4 swing, which just cried out for comped guitar chords and a bassline to back the mandolin solo. A departure from my usual comfort zones.

2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    What a beautiful audio and video production, John.
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Fantastic John, I really love your departures from your comfort zone, you a are a indeed a consummate musician.
  4. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very beautiful John. Not something I have ever heard before. Great production. Photos are very enjoyable too
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Excellent John, very French sounding with the guitar accompaniment too.
    This is when I feel lucky to be part of the SAW social group.
    I’d like to hear you record more of these, I think it suits your style of playing, they have an almost jazz feel to them.
    And the images go well too.
  6. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Chapeau!
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice John. I mellowed into thought listening to your playing and watching the pictures go by.
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Jazz musicians usually only play the refrain, but you add the nice verse.
    The refrain is done with a lot of good taste and at a nice tempo.
    What kind of bass did you use?
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks all for your kind and much appreciated support. Always a slight shiver when we try out something out of our usual, and it feels good when it seems to work, as this one may have done.

Christian, the bass is actually done using a piece of software called Key Rig which I got a long time back with an M-audio keyboard. I could have played it on my bass guitar but just thought I would give the keyboard a try. I used the General Midi Module from the Key Rig and chose the fingered bass sound. The bass line was played live on the keyboard (not programmed in with midi), and I added it in last - mandolin melody track first, then the guitar chords and finally the bass. I used the chords from the Fakebook arrangement to create the bass line.

Interesting point, Ginny, that the video got a Copyright Claim notice on it when I posted it, but the only restriction specified was that it could not be used commercially. My YouTube channel is non-commercial anyway (I have no advertising on it) and I am free otherwise to have the video on public display. Remember your tribulations with Carrickfergus very recently!
  10. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Very nice rendition John.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, BH.
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I missed John's great recording from 2020 -- that's such a good arrangement, played with lots of feeling. Also nice to hear the verse in 6/8.

Mine is just the familiar chorus, based on Nigel Gatherer's arrangement from:

https://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/...utLv/AutLv.pdf

Played as a mandolin quartet, mandolin lead with comping tenor guitar chords and a mandocello bass line. Second mandolin coming on on the repeats.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/FbaP7VbzPQg

Martin
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    You did a good job on this well-known melody, Martin!

Relistening to John’s version of the whole thing was just a pleasure, too.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine version, Martin, and great to hear someone else having a go at the tune. I think this one would be a good number for Frank to try when he is back playing again. Hope the hand injury is not what is holding you back, Frank. It's a while since you posted either here on over on your kitchen thread.
    Thanks again, Frithjof.
  15. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A nice ensemble sound you created, Martin.
  16. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Very lovely versions by both! Thanks John. It is a tune I'll look forward to doing. As you folks know more than anyone, working the pesky pairs with even the slightest discomfort, sucks. There's no other word. But I am getting there, still listening and learning. And biting at the heels to join back in!