Interesting thread on Newbies Section - "Sorry Everyone"

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    During a breakfast browse this morning I read the above thread where the person who has been looking after the Newbies Tune-of-the-Month is seriously considering stepping down, as the responses have been getting fewer over a period of time. The reasons listed are pretty much what you would expect - problems with the tunes, with getting them recorded, with finding tunes that may be too difficult or not appealing to the members, other parts of life intruding into our playing time, etc.

Having gone through a similar situation recently in the SAW Group (although Barbara certainly did not tender her resignation) it is interesting to note the lack of postings in other areas of the Forum as far as members posting tunes and others responding to them. We have managed to keep the SAW at a healthy level of activity and for this we must be grateful to Barbara and the few of us who are regular posters here. I am sure that many more folk still listen to our offerings although they do not offer comment, and I for one am more than happy to carry on posting tunes I like and want to share with others. I have been very encouraged by the interest generated by the tunes of Phil Cunningham and the library of material from Nigel Gatherer. I enjoy putting Scottish-based music out there for others to hear.

Let the SAW Group flourish!
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Aye!
  3. Bren
    Bren
    My New Year's Resolution to get a decent sound video setup for sharing is now 10.33 months old.
    I am drawing nearer but in exponentially decreasing increments. "Exponential decay" I believe it's called.

My confidence had a slight setback when I sought the advice of a classical mandolinist whose private recordings I admired and she said she's done up to 85 takes on some tracks.

On the subject of Phil Cunningham tunes, I was looking over some on "The Session" website last night, before going out to the session pub-site. I was thinking, I should brush up on some of these - but then, you don't hear many slow waltzes and airs at the session. Also, not related to Phil, but "Cavers of Kircudbright" - however, thought "haven't heard that for ages", so practised something else.

You can guess what happened next - Cavers was one of the first tunes they played after I got there and they played slow Phil Cunningham tunes for about half of the evening.
  4. Bren
    Bren
    I know, as they say: "the Perfect is the enemy of the Good" but there's something about solo recording that magnifies every perceived flaw.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Just so true to life, Bren - you have a tune in your head and nobody plays it, then they all play the ones you did not bother to brush up on. Our session on Thursdays is a bit like you say here; depending on who turns up we will have more or fewer pipe tunes and a good "West Coast" repertoire.
  6. John W.
    John W.
    Let the SAW group flourish indeed!

Bren, don’t be worrying about everything requiring 85 takes! Yes, all of us want to record the best version of us playing a tune that we can…but we don’t have to go to extremes…getting something down is better than not doing anything…which the audience here will be appreciative of.
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I am proud of y'all! All y'all (as we say in Texas!). I know you've noticed I barely post.... the only indication that I've logged on, is that the table of contents get updated, and moved back up to the top! Life has certainly gotten in the way of me being very active... and yet..... the SAW just keeps on keeping on! You all are the BEST!!!!!
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Only up to 85 takes on a track, Bren! Maybe we don't get to that level of determination but I reckon that most of us who are regular posters are all affected by the Blinking Red Light Syndrome and have to redo tracks in our recordings. I certainly do this. A track that we can play live with no problems can very often become a real stumbling block as soon as we try to record it. I find that putting the melody track down first is my preferred way of working as it gives me the stable base to add any backing tracks I want to have.

Barbara, even though you are not posting regularly we are aware of your presence and I certainly remember my early years here on the SAW Group (joined back in 2009) when you were very helpful and encouraging. I hope that at some time in the not-too-distant future we will see a new recording posted here by you.
  9. Bren
    Bren
    That's true John, it might've only been 84 takes. I'm feeling inspired by Chris Thile's show last night so will copy his microphone positioning which should make me sound just like him ...

Notwithstanding that he frequently walked away from the mike and played & sang purely acoustically to the rapt audience, as indeed he started and finished the show.
    Great acoustics in the RCH New Auditorium (?) helped I'm sure, as did his wonderful vintage Gibson.

Barbara, we all certainly appreciate y'all's efforts to get this going and keep it so user-friendly.
    Since I'm employed by a Texas-based firm, I'm well-used to being addressed as y'all.

Always minds me of this song:
    Down where the cane grows tall
    Down where they say you all
    Walk right in with that southern drawl
    And that's what I like about The South!
  10. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    The confusion or lack of interest may be farther afield. I have (all but) given up on Facebook postings. If you ask a question about anything - like which pick to use, there will be 100 responses. For people like Jason, myself and a few others we may get two or three people who actually watch our videos. Considering we will be moving to a part of the province the questionable Internet service, I'm not sure how much longer I will continue either. Maybe that's just the Covid talking. It is a lot of fun to record the SAW members, find the music and then just play along with it for my own enjoyment and in my own time.