Sorry Everyone.

1. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Sorry to do this, but I think I'm putting down my hat for the Tune of the Month. I'm feeling like it's a thread for me to post my versions of the songs. I'd be more then happy to continue doing it, but the participation is just not there. I know Hank did a amazing job and maybe my tunes that I've been choosing have not drawn the excitement needed to have others post.
    I hope someone will continue what Hank did, and I'm sorry if there's any disappointment in it.
    Good Luck
    Otto
  2. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I'm sorry you feel this way, Otto, but I can kind of see why you do.

My thought is that maybe even monthly is a tad too often. We're all newbies, and may have things we're working on with instructors or books, or so forth. Between scales and exercises, and trying to learn new chords, doublestops, the whole list of songs/tunes that we want to play and have been working on.... and I also know that for me, anyway, I'm not as quick to pick stuff up as maybe some younger folks are.

That said, in between my other practicing, I've been working on "Flop Eared Mule" on my mandola. It's almost ready. I have to find a time to make a recording when nobody else is around (otherwise it's too nerve wracking), and I have to fiddle with my phone and my laptop, because that's the only recording setup I've got, and I've only done it once. It'll probably take me a bunch of times to get through it without messing up.

For me, It's cool to be working on something that a few other people are also doing and seeing their results, but I can't possibly manage it on a monthly basis right now. And I'm pretty much retired. Some people are going to work every day.

So maybe every other month, or something like that, would garner more entries.
  3. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    I kind of hate it also, Otto, even though I am too self conscious to record myself and broadcas it here for the whole world to see. Besides that, I am a terrible player even though I should be a lot better. But, I have always enjoyed watching and listening to the videos that folks have posted in the tune of the month.

I understand, though, and I want to personally thank you for picking up the mantel when Hank decided to retire. Any forum is a dead zone if folks don't participate regularly, and I guess everybody is busy with other things like Sue said.
  4. NDO
    NDO
    T.O.E.O.M… love it Sue
    Otto, thank you for your efforts and I apologize for not participating more… I generally have been learning less “mandolinny” stuff (been focusing on folk and rock and country songs) and haven’t made the time to dive into many of these (although I do intend to learn Danny Boy!)
    I understand if you decide to hang it up, but hope you don’t feel like you’re not doing a good job of it- the whole group has been pretty quiet lately and I think it’s just a matter of things being cyclic and the board is just on a down cycle.
  5. bbcee
    bbcee
    I understand if you decide to hang it up, but hope you don’t feel like you’re not doing a good job of it- the whole group has been pretty quiet lately and I think it’s just a matter of things being cyclic and the board is just on a down cycle.

Totally agree with Don here, Otto. I was really glad you took up the mantle from Henry, but through no fault of your own, the group's pendulum has swung over to the other side, especially as compared to when we were starting out and it was popping with contributions.

If you have the time/inclination, I'd post whatever is inspiring you, knowing that eventually people are going to want to show off their new chops, but if not - thanks for having done it.
  6. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Agree with the other posters—thanks. Due to some health issues I haven't been doing the TOM for a while.
  7. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    If there was a monthly 'Damn, I Forgot How To Play That Song' thread, I would easily be the perfect moderator . . . except for the fact that I would forget to post it each month . . .
  8. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    - been there, Mike. (still am).
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter

Otto … I would sincerely hate to think that you felt, in any way, that the lack of participation is your fault. It just isn’t so.

when I joined the newbies group six or so years ago, it was pretty much a dead group. No one had posted much in a while. I began posting weekly progress videos as I tried to learn the mandolin, and encouraging others to do the same. Eventually, as the group became more active, someone suggested the TOM, and someone else (perhaps SOMorris?) mentioned that in years past there had been a TOM. All the members who had led & participated in that were inactive. So a new TOM was born.

It has been a really good run, and we’ve seen a lot of activity here over the past five to six years, but I’ve noticed it waning this year quite a bit. It may indeed prove to be another end of cycle!

I truly wish I were still able to participate, but my own involvement has been practically nonexistent the past couple years. I just don’t have the time, nor the robust internet connection, that I once had.

I hope you’ll reconsider. There is nothing wrong with your song choices, and nothing wrong with posting your own progress videos, in fact, that can be a great exercise. By doing that, you may spark the interest of newcomers. There will be more newcomers! The group is always in flux.

Alternatively, if you don’t have the time nor inclination, no one will fault you for that. Most of us are in that very same boat it appears. At any rate, please don’t feel that the lack of participation is a reflection on you, personally.

All the best to you, Otto, and thanks for your contributions to the cause.
  10. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I second Mark's comments.
  11. NDO
    NDO
    I have a crazy idea.
    How about everyone on here tries to post their OWN tune of the month. Commit to learning a new song, any genre you want, and post it. We can just start a new TOM thread and everyone just post whatever song they want to it. Whaddaya think?
  12. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Great idea. I got dibbs on twinkle twinkle little star!
  13. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    Sign me up for 'Mary Had A Little Lamb' . . . but it may take me more than a month to learn it . . . .
  14. NDO
    NDO
    I just cheat and learn the chords to songs with words and then sing really loud so nobody (except all y’all) will notice I’m not playing mandolinny stuff.
  15. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    I'm in