When Summer Ends

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is another tune from the recent Nigel Gatherer workshop I attended in mid-August. It is a Phil Cunningham slow air, and was a new one to me when I heard it at the workshop.

My version on mandolin uses Nigel's harmony line and I have added the harmony to the repeats of the A and B parts of the tune. Backing is on guitar. Interestingly the tune ends on an unresolved G chord rather than resolving to the D major of the tune. I liked the effect.

Recorded as usual in wav format through REAPER using two condenser mics, a Behringer pencil mic and a Rode NT1a, then the rendered mp3 was loaded in to Movavi Video Editor and suitable pictures added in.

Pictures are from my garden.

2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Reminding me again that music is a postcard from a better world. This one is especially comforting.
    Counter-melodies seem to increase in numbers - I wish I could do them live like Andy Irvine does.
  3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A fine composition, artfully arranged and played with nice nature photograhs.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really well played John I like how the accompaniment blends together with the melody. And lovely tune too.
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I love that Bertram, I've never heard that and will try and remember it.
    Beautiful song John with lovely harmony. Good timing, our leaves are just starting to change and the sound of leaf blowers will soon deafen our neighbourhood once again.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks for kind words, all. I particularly enjoy the compositions of Phil Cunningham and just a couple of weeks back I had the pleasure of hearing him live in concert here along with his long-time playing partner Aly Bain, the great Shetland fiddler. They have played together for over thirty years and can still captivate an audience with their playing and storytelling.
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a really pretty tune, John. It's well played with the melody and harmony part, too.

I think I prefer the sound when you use the Tascam recorder, but admittedly I'm just playing this back on my phone - albeit with headphones.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Dennis. Interesting observation you make about the recording sound on this one. Must get the Tascam out again!
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I went around my apartment late last night John with a reasonable headset attached to my Zoom H6 and the recording level cranked right up to max.
    Amazing all the sounds that presumably my cat can hear. All sorts of hoots and whistles from my very old fridge, but even more surprising was noise from the walls!
    Hidden water pipes, hidden passages for mice…
    No wonder the cat doesn’t sleep at night.

Anyway, just to say that the Zoom H6 is very different from the microphone I used to use. Though the microphone is very useful for crossing streams and such.
  10. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Lots of beautifully interesting intricacies in this melody. Like Simon I put on the headphones and was quite entertained. I found myself listening with a different perspective, other than just ear candy, if you get my drift. Lovely work John!
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    It sounds like a typical amazing John Kelly recording over a theme by Phil Cunningham. Very enjoyable!
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Once again, thanks to all for kind words.
  13. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    This time, John inspired me to try a tune. I played the counter-melody on my classical guitar, but mixed it in the background, so it's barely audible.
  14. John W.
    John W.
    I missed this when John K initially posted…but just listened to both versions…a nice tune very well presented by both John and Christian. I wonder if Phil Cunningham ventures a little further south of John for his live, public performances…???
  15. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you, Christian. That was a lovely tune, well played. Also, I love autumn colours and hedgehogs, so your video had my full attention!
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Your guitar backing is more than just barely audible, Christian, and it's good, light yet solid. A nice balance of tremolo and single notes on the mandolin, so it doesn't sound too Italian. All in all representing our summer's lazy reluctance to leave this year (thereby supporting our natural gas stores a little longer).
  17. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Wonderful playing by both John and Christian. That Phil Cunningham fellow can write a melody.
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Don. Your appreciation is always welcome. As you say, that Cunningham fellow can write a melody!

John W, I noticed online a possible venue for you to catch Aly and Phil. I saw a date for them on Sunday 29th March 2023 in Hitchin Folk Club which seems to be held in Hitchin Cricket Club. No idea if that is anywhere near you, but it is certainly a little further south than Scotland. Put "Aly and Phil" into a search engine and you will find possible tour dates for them.
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Don. Your appreciation is always welcome. As you say, that Cunningham fellow can write a melody!

John W, I noticed online a possible venue for you to catch Aly and Phil. I saw a date for them on Sunday 29th March 2023 in Hitchin Folk Club which seems to be held in Hitchin Cricket Club. No idea if that is anywhere near you, but it is certainly a little further south than Scotland. Put "Aly and Phil" into a search engine and you will find possible tour dates for them.
  20. Munnix
    Munnix
    John, thanks so much for this posting. I remember first hearing it during one of Silly Wizard's many farewell tours. I always thought that it would be a great mandolin tune. Thanks for confirming my suspicion!
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Many thanks, Munnix
  22. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, both of you! I think that's a tune that I need to try, and that we may try out with our group as well. Nigel has now put his transcription online as well (melody, harmony and chords):

https://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/...henS/WhenS.pdf

Also in TAB (but without harmony):

https://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/...enS/WhenSt.pdf

Martin
  23. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks to all!
  24. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've been catching up with a few Phil Cunningham tunes this weekend -- I've recorded four of them, all using the Vinaccia and the arrangements/harmonies from Nigel Gatherer's site. Here is the first one, When Summer Ends. Thanks to John for introducing the tune!

https://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/...henS/WhenS.pdf

My version ended up quite a bit slower than either John's or Christian's.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/0UlHntSlt1c

Martin
  25. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You have certainly taken a liking to Phil and Nigel recently, Martin, and quite rightly too in my opinion! Lovely version of the tune by you here.

I feel so lucky to be able to hear Phil (along with Aly Bain on fiddle) when he plays here in Scotland, and I have attended several of Nigel's workshops over the years and even spent a great afternoon in his home in Crieff with him, playing tunes together at his kitchen table. He has quite a collection of instruments including his Rigel mandolin.
  26. John W.
    John W.
    Nice version, Martin…this tune is definitely going on the list.

Thanks for the info, John, re Aly & Phil tour dates/venues (though I am nowhere near Hitchen !).