Long time listener, first time caller.

1. Rythemic
    Rythemic
    Hey friends,

Just bought my first mandolin, an Eastman 305. I've been going to a teeny folk festival in the south of England for the last ten years or so and figured it was about time to learn - I've played guitar and fiddle for a few years, so this feels like a natural step forward.

Anyhow, working my way through some beginner books at the moment, but going to be looking for some intermediate stuff reasonably soon, preferably towards the post-trad end of things (think Elephant Sessions - sorry traditionalist!) Any suggestions?

Thanks
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Welcome Rythemic. I had to google "Elephant Sessions". I guess that says something about me. Anyway, I don't of any formal material to ease the path while headed in their direction. They are certainly doing interesting things, some of which I thought very interesting. I hope others can be more helpful but I did want to give you my "welcome". Let us hear that Eastman!
  3. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Certainly does sound as if mandolin would be a natural step forward for you. I’ve listened to Elephant Sessions music a bit, and some of it struck me as classically influenced. Their website states that they “combine the very best of trad, funk and electronica” which is a tall oversimplification IMO.

In order to do what those guys do, you’ll need to master the same techniques and musicality required in Irish or Scottish trad, as well as some classical training in music theory and mastery of scales and arpeggios. Good news is that you can start just about anywhere and work on mastery of your instrument. If you really like the music of that band, you can us slow-down software to learn what they’re doing as much, as often, and as well as possible.

Hope you enjoy your mandolin journey!
  4. BadExampleMan
    BadExampleMan
    Hi Rythemic and welcome. TIA.