Till We Meet Again (Smile The While)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a famous World War I song from 1918, written by Richard A Whiting with words by Raymond B Egan. This arrangement is by the Ottawa Fiddle Ensemble with harmonies by E. Fraser, who have transposed it to the key of D:

http://www.alfwarnock.info/ofe/pdf/57.pdf

I've played the tune as a quartet on tenor guitar (2x), mandolin and mandocello. The tenor guitar takes the melody on the first verse, and the mandolin on the second.

Ozark tenor guitar
    1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  2. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hey Martin, Very nice. I like that one - well done. The arrangement is great for our trio too. Thanks
  3. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Here's a Martin thread revival!
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Fine 2015 recording by Martin.

Frank, your new acquisition sounds great while playing a slow tune, too.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Missed this one first time round, Martin. Well played.

Great sound, Frank, and I like the double stops on the second time around. The tune suits your playing style so well.
  6. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks Joh and Frithjof!
  7. John W.
    John W.
    Nice instruments, nicely played Martin & Frank.
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    No tremolo, but I noticed, that you did some finger vibrato in the first chorus. Have you been an electric guitar player?
    Great chordal work in the second chorus and fine a sounding mandolin, Frank!
  9. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks John W. and Christian! Christian all those years the mando spent under the bed I was trying to be SRV. BUt..
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I can just imagine you in earlier years as a Stevie Ray acolyte, Frank. You would fit into any Texas Blues band.
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for reviving this one -- very nice recording on that Northfield (if I read the headstock correctly). I like your vibe, nice and slow with lots of expression.

This also reminded me of the fact that we have the Ottawa Fiddle Ensemble in our repertoire folder, so we played it for the first time in some years at our weekly get-together yesterday. Worked nicely!

Martin