getting started

1. Bill Bradshaw
    Bill Bradshaw
    Hello fellow Stiver owner. Jeez, I can't believe there are only 2 of us. I just got mine a couple of months ago. There aren't a lot of opportunities to test drive mandos where I live, and when Elderly shipped this one to me, I liked it immediately.

It's for sure got a different sound than the Webers, Flatirons, and Kirshots my picking frineds play, but different in a very good way. I had played all of those and passed on a Daley A, before hearing this one. It was a pretty easy decision. It has fundamently changed the way I play; I'm faster, cleaner, and can more easily do rythmic and ornamentation things than ever before. Much as I loved my old (''20) Gibson A, I'm not looking back at this point.

Most folks around here (Sheridan, Wyoming) hadn't heard of Stivers, but I gather there are a bunch in use back east, closer to Lou's shop.

I assumed someone would eventually, but thanks for starting the group.

Cheers

Bill Bradshaw
  2. Andrew Reckhart
    Andrew Reckhart
    Hello Bill,

I too am amazed that there are only 2 members here so far. They are such amazing instruments.

I've known Lou Stiver my entire life. We play at all of the same festivals and venues. I had mine built in 2002. In the 7 years that I've had it I've had countless individuals comment on the tone and projection. It is a cannon! Like all great mandolins the Stivers just keep getting better and better. They love to be played.

I want to start a photo thread and several discussions, but my wife and I just had a new baby girl about 3 weeks ago, so I have been pretty busy! I'll try and make this group more exciting in the very near future.
  3. DorothyD
    DorothyD
    Hi,
    I found this group this morning but am just now getting a chance to write. I own a 2004 Stiver mandolin and I really love it. It quickly became my favorite. It is the one I always grab when I am going out to jam.
    Lou Stiver lives about a 2 hour drive from where I live. He and his wife are so kind. He let us (a friend of mine ordered one at the same time I did) design our own mandolins. Because I have Irish roots, I used that as my theme. I have shamrock fret board markers, the claddagh ring design on my truss rod cover and some other things. I’ll try to post a picture.
    The tone of this mandolin is amazing. I always get comments on it. I’m so glad I own a Stiver!!
    I was going to post a picture but I couldn't figure it out. It appears I have to have a web page to do this. I saw in the beginning of this Group where it said to post pictures. I'll give that a try.

Dorothy
  4. DorothyD
    DorothyD
    Hi Again,

I am going to try to post my picture. I've been having some problems with this!
    Dorothy
  5. demando
    demando
    Ok... I've been lurkin on here for years but never posted.. but I could not let this one
    get away.. Yes ! I play a Stiver, an '82 F that I've had since the early 90's and its a
    cannon too ! Always stands out in the session and very crisp on a mike..cuts like a knife.
    Lou has done a refret a few times over the years and I had him radius and scallop the
    fretboard shortly after getting it. It has been my only mando for all these years but I
    have been thinking of getting something else.. just for fun. I would not part with my Stiver.
    I'm only a couple hours from Lou but even when I'm out of state, I find that a lot of people
    are familiar with Stivers and, at least, know the Jessie connection. Now if your around the PA
    area, I've seen 3 or 4 in one campsite.

Dorothy has one beautiful and unique Stiver !

demando
  6. JerryJ
    JerryJ
    HEY !!!
    I got my Stiver in 1988 and wouldn't trade if for a Loar.
    I live about 2 hrs from Lou and I'm sure I've met some of you at Forrest Circle or Meadville.
    Great to find a group of like minded people.
    Jerry Shamp, Monaca, PA
  7. Bill Bradshaw
    Bill Bradshaw
    I hardly ever see Stiver's for sale, so your hanging on to yours since 1988 seems about usual. I'm still liking mine for sure.

Bill
  8. Bill Bradshaw
    Bill Bradshaw
    Jerry:

That is seriously poweful testimony to the quality of Stiver mandolins. Not even for a Loar?

Reminds me I better go play mine for a while.

Cheers,

Bill