Week #61 ~ Farewell to Whiskey (Scottish Air)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    I've always played this as a lament but apparently it is a polka. Go figure.

2. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done, Mike. The session apparently does not have a category for tunes that are airs or laments so tunes in 4 are either barn dances or polkas. At least you spelled whisky correctly, I didn't. I do know the difference between Scots and scotch, you don't want to mess that up.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another lovely video production, Mike, and a fine arrangement and recording. Your most recent videos are of such excellent quality - not that the earlier ones were in any way poor! I love the shot you include around 1:03; lucky man to have that personal collection of fine malts. As David says, you got the Scottish spelling right too.
    When I posted my version here back in 2010 https://youtu.be/PXY5eRONJms I also knew the tune as a slow air but had heard it in faster versions too, so I did a combined version. As David says, The Session does not have a category to include slow airs, so the tunes often get listed under the wrong label. It seems to go by time signature. Try posting a 6/8 pipe march there!
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I played this piece rather slow, but slightly swung:
  5. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    And a lovely swing it is! Nice little body rocker Christian!
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing Christian.
  7. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    This is how I (and my musical compadres) play it. As a polka. Recorded on my Falder mandolin. Sadly the sun has not yet gone over the yardarm, so I didn't get to play it with a drop of the craytur' in my gnarly paw. (Mind you, me and whiskey don't really mix - it has a tendency to bring on flashing blue lights!)

8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well played Mike, CC and Aidan, and of course Ghall and MandoGirl!

Hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

https://youtu.be/9vjLj4j9YNU
  9. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice version, Simon.

I’m happy that so many videos of videos above are still working. They are worth a relistening.
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Don't you consider getting a mandola, Simon? Well, your octave mandolin capoed at the seventh fret also sounds fine when you play it.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Christian, hmmmm, buy a mandola… well not for the time being.
    I was thinking of doing a whole load of mandolin instruction vids, maybe get a mandolin for that sometime.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine version, Simon. I am enjoying a nice Highland Park single malt as I listen, so in my case it's Hello to Whisky. Well, it's a cold evening here and that's my excuse.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    If you partake of the barley porridge oats for breakfast then all is forgiven John!
    Only -2C here.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Every morning, Simon, along with some fresh blueberries or raspberries and runny honey. Even in the summer!
  15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Good to the last drop.
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s the .abc for the song that’s quite different.

X:1
    T:Farewell to Whisky
    R:song
    H:Scottish
    D:Ashplant
    Z:id:hn-song-102
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    Q:1/4=140
    K:Dm
    C2 | C2 G3 G | A4 AA | A2 D2 E2 | F2 G4- | G4
    A2 | A2 d2 d2 | d2 c2 A2 | A2 G2 A2 | c6- | c4
    A2 | A2 d2 d2 | d2 c2 A2 | A2 D2 E2 | F2 G4- | G4
    A2 | d3 c d2 | A2 G2 A2 | F3 D (EC) | D6- | D4 ||
    W:Oh Johnnie, my man, do ye no think o' risin'?
    W:For the day is weel spent and the night's comin' on
    W:The siller's all done and the gill-stoup is empty
    W:So rise up, my Johnnie, and come awa' hame
    W:
    W:The bairnies at hame they are roarin' and greetin'
    W:Nae meal in the barrel to fill their wee wames
    W:While ye sit here drinkin', ye leave us lamentin'
    W:So, rise up, my Johnnie, and come awa' hame
    W:
    W:Wha's that at the door that are speakin' so kindly
    W:'Tis the voice of my wee wifie, Maggie by name
    W:Come in my dear lassie and sit doon beside me
    W:It's time enough yet for to gang awa' hame
    W:
    W:Oh Johnnie, my man, do ye no mind o' courtin'?
    W:Nae alehoose nor tavern it ran in oor minds.
    W:We'd spend the lang days 'mang the sweet scented roses
    W:An ne'er gied a thought upon goin' awa' hame
    W:
    W:'Tis well do I mind these times that ye speak o'
    W:But those days they are gone and will ne'er come again
    W:But as for the present, we'll try for to mend it
    W:So gie's your haund Maggie, and I'll awa' hame
    W:
    W:And Johnnie arose, and he banged the door open
    W:Sayin' "Cursed be the tavern that ere let me in
    W:And cursed be the whisky that made me aye thirsty
    W:So fare thee well, whisky, for I'm awa' hame
  17. John W.
    John W.
    I like what you do with the OM and capo…and the sound you get…the banjo goes well with it and the guitar added later provides further embellishment.
  18. Munnix
    Munnix

Boy, it was only late last year that I learned that this was a Gow tune and not a Kerry polka. Now I learn that it's a lament.
    Learned it years ago, as a slow polka, from perhaps the most important recording ever, of course I refer to The Star Above the Garter.
    Never tried it as a lament but here goes.
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting treatment, Munnix. I have not heard the tune played as slowly before and your use of tremolo on the longer notes works well here. Your speeded-up part contrasts well and complements the slow version. Back in 2010 I did the same as you, knowing the tune first as a slow air then hearing versions played faster. I believe both tempos work equally, both on their own or as here when you combine them.
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well done Bruce, I like the mix of tremolo and double stops, and the faster version is icing on the cake.
  21. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Sounds nice, all! Interesting to hear the different versions.
  22. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    What a fine solo mandolin version, Munnix!
  23. John W.
    John W.
    I enjoyed that version, Munnix.
  24. Munnix
    Munnix
    Thanks for the kind words John W., Christian, JL277z and Simon.
    John Kelly. I've never heard the tune played as anything other than a slow polka. Howver, I always wondered about the discrepancy between the tune and the title. My attempt at Farewell to Whiskey as a lament was just a visceral response to the title, as I already knew the melody. I honestly did wonder if anyone would like it. I read the earlier posts and thought "lament... I want to try this". So what you got was the first and only take on the tune.
    BTW, the LP that is over my right shoulder is in deed my vinyl copy of The Star Above the Garter. It's probably the only recording I own that I have on LP, CD, cassette and which is also downloaded on the computer. Ya never know when you'll need a shot of Julia and Denis.
  25. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    here my version.
  26. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very well done and beautiful. I have always played it fairly fast but may have to change my mind on that.
  27. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    This tune seemed to pick up when the frost hit hard, hmm. Great adds to this thread Simon, Munnix, and Pierpaolo !
  28. John W.
    John W.
    A beautiful version, Pierpaolo.
  29. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely version here, Pierpaulo. Lovely pace and a fine choice of instruments and arrangements.
  30. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Two new amazing recordings of the tune. I like the solo version by Munnix as well as the fine arrangement of Pierpaolo.
  31. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely version with the piano Pierpaulo, and nice production. Well done.
  32. John W.
    John W.

Played on Ivor Pickard Octave Mandola, Fylde Signature Touchstone Mandolin and Faith parlour guitar (Naked Mercury).

I’ve played the tune in the state of mind of, well, we can’t have whisky, but look at the beauty we still have around us. Pics taken a few weeks ago at Lyme Park - https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lyme
  33. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely arrangement and performance, John. I still like the tune whether played slowly or faster. Great pictures too!
  34. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I like your slow version, John W. Great tone as usual.
  35. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Enjoying a late-night brandy while listening to all these great renditions, my farewell to whisky will be temporary. The tune works well at any speed.

Pierpaolo, are you still here? We'd all like another mandolin/melodica arrangement!
  36. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Gelsenbury, I'm here, but I'm not satisfied with my latest recordings, so for now I enjoy yours.
  37. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you John K, Frithjof and Dennis. I was undecided about the speed I was going to play/record this one…from the various recordings I listened to I narrowed it down to somewhere between the speeds of Simon’s and Pierpaolo S’s… Without using an instrument where you can stretch those notes (eg. fiddle or accordion) I couldn’t go any slower.
  38. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I really like your rendition of this song, John. I think I prefer it to the faster tempo. Having said that - thank you for spelling whisky the Scottish/Canadian way. I see from the original post it has the 'e' in it. My new puppy's name is Whisky - no e..so the only time I ant to say farewell to him is so he will let me get some sleep..farewell, go to sleep. A nice mix of mandolin instruments John.
  39. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks very much, Ginny. My mood/state of mind will influence the tempo of what I listen to and play, but ultimately I think I lean towards the slower tempo on this tune… Would Gow have been up-beat and dancing when he wrote the tune? I suspect not… On the subject of the other whisky…I get the impression you are enjoying it…
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12