Week #31 ~ Old Joe Clark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Daijoki
    Daijoki
    Here's my go at it.

2. Dean Fields
    Dean Fields
    Thanks for the posting instructions. This is my first nervous attempt at posting as well as playing mandolin in public. Barb, how do you smile while you are doing this?
  3. Dean Fields
    Dean Fields
    Barb, thanks for the instruction. I was copying the whole URL instead of behind the "=". For me this group is to mandolin what Garison Keiler describes for "Powder Milk Biscuits". It makes shy people get up and do what should be done (play in public). Thanks for all of your work as well as everybody on the site.
  4. Dean Fields
    Dean Fields
    OS, got the tab. Thanks alot.
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Great job, all! Welcome to our new members, and new video posters! Thanks for the kind words... I really get as much out of this group as ya'll do, so it's a pleasure for me to try to keep it all together!
  6. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great to see you picking Dean. I enjoyed sean's and daijoki's too
  7. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    Late again. Here's my contribution hope this is close.
    Best,
    D.
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    I missed this one before and now I have to play it at a Contra Dance tonight...

9. jonny250
    jonny250
    I tend to play clinch mountin backstep and old joe together, i was going to post this video under the clinch mountain SAw but i dont think there is one, or i couldnt find it...
    so here's my take of clinch mountain and Old Joe Clark, on a mountain

10. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Hey, those do go well together Jonny, and really, really nice playing.
    We did have Clench Mountain way back on week 102. On these early weeks, so many older video clips have been deleted it's great to get current posts and bring them back up to the top.
  11. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Well played Jonny and top marks for getting the mandolin to the top of a mountain. Your camera operator got a bit blair witchy though, I'm feeling seasick.
  12. GHall
    GHall
    Just seems like yesterday me and my little girl learned this one - probably one of the first tunes any new mandolin player learns. She's come a long ways since those days
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    So cool!
    Mr Hall and MandoGirl 88, that’s going to be a fun, worthwhile exercise to write out the tab and learn to play (try to) this tune.
    Many thanks.
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    It was my first tune on mandolin, too. But mine stays a beginner tune for the eternity.
    Yours is a fully ripe bluegrass version. Congratulation!
  15. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Excellent playing Mr hall and MandoGirl 88 - lots of improv and ornamentation make it very professional. I watched your other vids on YouTube (and subscribed), I really enjoy your work MandoGirl.
  16. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Brilliant!
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Before it snowed yesterday, my daughter made me rush out to the back yard to show me this. It seems like Old Joe Clark has jumped the species barrier....

18. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is so fun, I wish I were there in your garden. You've even got the banjo playing. This must be fun for you, because it's fun for us to listen to and watch your animation.
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What amazing duetting from G Hall and daughter. Both such fine players individually and as a duet there is an extra something special in the way you seem to read each other's playing. Don't know how I missed this one back in August 2020.

David, each video is so watchable and this one is just such fun. I love the ladybirds enjoying the trio so much, and I reckon they should have a go next at The Ugly Bugs' Ball! It says a lot for your filming skills that we begin by commenting on the visuals rather than on the really fine music you are producing in each one. Looking forward to your next.
  20. John W.
    John W.
    Excellent playing of all instruments…and a fun, entertaining video to accompany the music. Do Bob and Cat know these guys/gals are in the garden?
  21. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks folks, I suspect I enjoy it a lot more than most of my viewers, but there is much for me to learn here… John W, Bob and his crew know nothing since these events took place in my back yard here in Atlanta, Georgia.
  22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice playing David, please be aware that I took five minutes trying to think of something to write about our insect friends.
    My mind has gone!
    How did you get them to do that? It’s got to be months of training.
  23. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Wow! Your on a creative roll-a-coaster.! Very nice David!
  24. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Your fourth video in this thread, David. – I enjoyed them all. The animal characters are fun, too.
  25. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Seeing Davids' vid of this classic put a "bug" up my butt to give it a try. I always understood it to be done with some sort of alternate tuning but I did it with standard tuning. I think I was still able to catch the vibe. Thanks for the Listen!
  26. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    There's a thousand ways to play Old Joe Clark, and that is a great one Frank! Nice job, and nice pics too.
  27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Cracking version of the tune there, Frank, and standard tuning suits it just fine! Great set of pictures too.
  28. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great picking, Frank.

David – you obviously changed your avatar to become YoungSausage. Nice facelifting.
  29. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great energy Frank, reminded me of a horse drawn carriage racing, bouncing, careering and skidding down a country track. Love it!
  30. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    It's great to hear, what top players make of this simple tune, Mando Girl, David and Frank!
  31. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Frithjof, well spotted with the change in David's avatar. I reckon Bob must have got a new camera and has been trying it out.
  32. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    So many versions of this one! I love them all and especially enjoyed David's video. Makes me wonder which of God's creatures will be performing next.
  33. John W.
    John W.
    Another tight, musical accomplishment Frank.
  34. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thank you ALL! We are havin' us some fun these days!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12