Harper learning mandolin

1. baygal
    baygal
    Hello,

I have played piano since I was 10 (Considerably older now) and I also play Celtic harp, which I love dearly and will never give up. But recently, while at the local music shop asking about concertinas, I spotted a wall of mandolins and remembered that my father played one as a young man. So I thought, hmm, why not and went back the next day intending to put one on lay-away. There wasn't much selection, only F and A style Johnsons, and I left the store with a $200 shiny black F style, plus cost of case and learning materials. I know it's not the best, but needed to find out if I could actually play a fretted instrument. It's now 2 weeks later and I am in love with this little mando. I've learned the first 4 songs in the primer and actually got the fingers stretched to a G chord, sort of. Us harpers don't use the little fingers, so I am having to really work to stretch and strengthen, but I am getting some callouses built up and I think I can make this work.

I now have my heart set on working toward an octave mandolin, probably with the shortened neck and I'm rather leaning to P. W. Crump in Arcata, California. I am on the southern Oregon coast so I can drive to his shop to see and hear before ordering. Does anyone have experience with his instruments? His prices are do-able for me; I don't want to spend more for a mandolin than I paid for my best floor harp.

Glad to have found you all and look forward to discussions and all the help I can get.

baygirl