how are they now ?

1. 300win
    300win
    Ok guys we've all had them a while now, so lets here the reports, how are they doing ? Mine is STELLAR ! Loud to begin with, getting more every week as well as tone, deep vibrant, clear highs like a bell, Bluegrass chop that will hurt your head. Check in men. I don't think we have a JM lady yet, but it will happen.
  2. Phil Vinyard
    Phil Vinyard
    At this point, still stunning. I'm taking it to the monthly Hallsville square dance on Saturday. My guess is it will more than hold its own against all the fiddle players. I'll report back afterwards.
  3. Greg Wilson
    Greg Wilson
    I have traveled around and played with several different groups from Maine to Illinois to California. I typically have to soften my playing as not to drowned out the guitars. I love it!
  4. Bluegrassrules
    Bluegrassrules
    #23 is barky and bell like, been trying different strings, Flat Tops, Silk and Steel, J74, J75. So far the Flat Tops win for me as they really accentuate the woody tone but I do lose volume. I will be taking it to the Sept. Uncle Pen festival at Bean Blossom in a few weeks. I am looking forward to comparing mine with the many Gibson’s I will see there. Will give a report on my return.
    Have a good one fellows. Brian
  5. Phil Vinyard
    Phil Vinyard

Reporting back as promised. Made a big hit a the square dance in Hallsville. Really punched out the sound, the chop chords boomed. Played a few things without the fiddles (me playing lead and backed up by guitars) and the sound was crystal clear. Lots of comments about the looks--very different from most mandolins. I'm beginning to think it makes the other sunburst finished mandolins look sort of cheap.

The more I played I did begin to hear a buzz/rattle somewhere on the chop chords. I changed strings the day before to some Elixer 11525 Medium strings from a set of D'Addario J74s--shouldn't make a difference. Sometimes I thought it was happening between the bridge and the tailpiece, other times just couldn't tell. Maybe my bridge is just a hair low?

In general, a very good outing and generated much mandolin envy!
  6. Bluegrassrules
    Bluegrassrules
    Glad to hear the Jam Master was a hit PK, I have also noticed the pesky little buzz…but after I messed with the action. I am going to raise it a bit.
    Cheers Brian