Coleraine ~ Jig in A minor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Eddie Sheehy
    Nice and bouncy there John.
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    John, that was a great rendition! In addition to your great playing, and that beautiful mando, I enjoyed the plaid of your shirt against the striped wall!
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    Uh-oh, Fashion Police...
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Not me! You've seen what I will wear.. and my cluttered background... I was envious!
  5. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Quite a lively tune in your hands John! (Nice mandolin too!) I'm going to try it at this tempo and see what happens....hope it comes out as nicely as yours.
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great version there John! Lovely sound from your mandolin too.
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks everyone for encouraging comments. Barbara, you sound like my wife and daughters re my dress code - they have been known to say "Are you really going out wearing that?" My excuse is that I wore formal suits during all my years as a teacher so I am catching up on the casual bit now!
    The striped wall is the only part of the room which is uncluttered; I frame the shot to avoid the guitars, banjo, computer, bed (it's also the spare room) and other bits which reside there. And I always think just what a busy and interesting life you lead when I see your working environment on your video clips.

Thanks again, all.
  8. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    This is a great jig and fantastic versions by everyone. I had to give it a go....

9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    10 out of 10 for style John! Second Barb's view. I know exactly what you mean about the dress code when leaving the house.

Tosh, that B-part leaves me puzzled - one of the notes seems to stand out as being different. What version is this?
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely relaxed version, Tosh. You get a fine fluidity into your playing here.
    In reply to Bertram's query about "different" note in B part, i see you are playing an f# rather than an f natural (can't find the natural symbol), implying a D major rather than a D minor chord. The other sharpened note in this tune is the g, which suggests E major chord rather then the g natural which would occur in an E minor chord - the tune is written in A minor.
    Further to Barbara's sartorial observations on my shirt/wallpaper combination, maybe I could borrow your cushions for my next foray - I see them as setting off the checked shirt admirably. What do you think, Barbara?
  11. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Thanks guys, John, yes it does have a G sharp in it. Bertram the version I used is in Am and came from JC's Tunefinder:-

X: 1
    T:Coleraine
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    F:http://jc.tzo.net/~jc/music/abc/mirr.../Coleraine.abc 2010-10-20 06:15:48 UT
    R:Jig
    K:Am
    E|EAA ABc|Bee e2 d|cBA ABc|B^GE E2 E|
    EAA ABc| Bee e2 d|cBA B^GE|(A3 A2) :|
    B|c2 c cdc|Bdg g2 ^g| aed cBA|^GBG E^FG|
    A^GA BAB|cde fed|cBA B^GE|(A3 A2) :|
  12. Eddie Sheehy
    Since Eddie requested it then it's high-time Eddie posted it... Played on an Eastman Mandola 615MDA...

13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This is an old favourite of mine, and one of the first tunes I tried to learn on the mandolin. It's a hard melody for a beginner, but it means that I've had a lot of practice by now. This morning, I finally remembered to record it - against the backdrop of the snow that's already melting now.

I'll have to experiment with all those nice ornaments you have introduced, and perhaps include some of them in my playing. But better not on video ...

14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Dennis, that's an artsy chiaroscuro scene for this outlandish jig. Nice bell-like tone, goes well with the christmassy snow outside (or is that just overexposed daylight...?)
  15. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That really was snow, but it's all gone now. We just had a couple of days of it here, so I wanted to capture it on film.

Thank you for watching. Do you have any idea which other piece would go together with this jig in a nice little set?
  16. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Barbara plays it with Road to Lisdoonvarna and Blarney Pilgrim.
  17. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thanks, I had read that but forgotten about it. Around here, The Butterfly is often played after Road to Lisdoonvarna. Coleraine, Road to Lisdoonvarna, and The Butterfly may be a nice set.
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Keech banjo special appearance!!

https://youtu.be/jags4eXglAI
  19. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played!
  20. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely Simon, such a relaxed feel to your playing
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks guys.
    Yes, Jill I get very relaxed when playing to a click track or with someone who has a good sense of timing. Endorphins, meditation or something!

I’ve also been listening to, and playing a strange combination of tremolo 12/8 Scottish tunes with that cut rhythm, slow and exceedingly relaxed Martin Hayes fiddle lessons, upright English rhythm country dance tunes (waltzes) and well swung jigs-with-attitude. So when I was up in the ex-wood my rhythm was all over the place.

And thanks, I’m going to try to record a few tunes ‘with attitude’, see how that sounds.
  22. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    You play these fast Irish tunes really well, Simon!
  23. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine performance, Simon. Good to hear the banjo sneaking in to your mix too - it blends well with the octave.
  24. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Christian and John, I love the banjo and as long as it’s not too loud it really sets off the Octave quite nicely.
    I find it very difficult to play well though. Because it’s quite percussive, if the timing is out, even a little bit, it sort of pulls the implied rhythm (pulse?) of the other instruments about.
  25. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great, inspirational playing by Simon and by all the folks who submitted their recordings bevor.
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof!
    Yes, Tosh, Eddie and Dennis great versions, and thanks for the motivation on this classic tune.
  27. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    NIce recording Simon! Did you use a towel in that banjo? It was nicely muted
  28. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    My version on mandolin solo:

Due to the positioning of the smartphone the music is scarcely audible on the right channel.
  29. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oh, so you put the banjo in view to encourage people to listen to the vid and then everyone’s disappointed because there’s no banjo content?

Very nice to hear a solo octave mandolin, Frithjof, and of course always enjoyable to hear you play. Thanks.
  30. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Frithjof. Banjos make lovely wall hangings too.
  31. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Bump
  32. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks Simon and John!

I made my first honest attempts to learn the mandolin on this mandolin banjo because I couldn’t find a decent mandolin in my area. Nowadays it hangs close to the door to defend intruders.
  33. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice, Frithjof but why would you want to defend intruders? Unless of course they needed to be defended.
  34. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Robbers, bandits, burglars – only this kind of intruders, of course.
    SAW members would be welcomed to try and play music on this axe!
  35. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Ah, one of my favourite jigs! Thank you, Simon and Frithjof, for reviving this thread with your nice versions.

I recorded this set for Saint Patrick's last year (I think). I must have posted it in another thread. Coleraine is the first tune.

36. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks Dennis.
    Nice set - well performed.
  37. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Loved that solo version Frithjof! Lovely trio Dennis!
  38. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Sweet Dennis! -but what kind of disguise were you wearing for these ones?
    More vids. Let’s see you playing!
  39. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine set there, Dennis.
  40. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks Frank!
  41. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you! Very little time to play mandolin these days, but I'll try to do another video as soon as I can. My lessons are still continuing, but recently I've had many occasions of not having done much homework!
  42. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Two fine new versions of this jig, Frithjof and Dennis!
  43. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    And my contribution to a great thread.

44. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Richard, one of my favourite tunes of all time!
    Very cozy, laid backed performance, and nice to see the guitar at the same time on this classic tune.
  45. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Magistral, maestro!
  46. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Merci messieurs! It is a great tune and Am is a very unusual key for Irish traditional (hence my fun in sliding up into those fifth position E7 chords on the guitar - not an opportunity I often have with this music). Also, the last few measures of the B part remind me of a classical piece I used to play, but I can't for the life of me remember what.
  47. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Beautiful version, Richard!
  48. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    One of the best jigs ever, well played by Richard.
  49. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, Frithjof and Dennis.
  50. John W.
    John W.
    Loved this, Richard. It goes on ‘my list’…and I’ve not learned how to play the tune yet it is already one of my favourite jigs
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast