Week #72 ~ The Minstrel Boy (Irish Trad)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Well, here I am again, squeezing in at the final hour. I've liked this song ever since I learned it in fith-grade chorus, and I've really enjoyed all the versions posted this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od5qr_3fMdw
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Nice crosspicking there Marcelyn, giving it just a little bit of polyphonic complexity and reminds me of those musical boxes you could wind up back in the old days.
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Marcelyn, that was lovely! I'm going to try to embed your video, so it shows up here!

4. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Yes, lovely, Marcelyn.

As such loveliness is a hard act to follow, I have called in David Hansen as a reinforcement and played my mando over his tenor guitar version.

Thanks, David. Hope I haven't butchered your great playing too much.

5. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    On my new Irish tenor!

6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    So many good takes on this lovely song.
    Love your harp-like sounding mandolin version Marcelyn.
    Nice duet Manfred (and David).
    Martin, what make is that tenor? It sounds really good...
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Well done Manfred - yes, playing along with David is always a refreshing experience and an honor.

Wow Martin - that banjo looks so... so NEW! All shiny and clean. That makes me imgine what my old banjo could look like if I had not distressed the white head with my grimy planted pinky.
    Funny how you emerge from your own cartoon at the beginning. Sounds like running water in the background - rainy day inside the shack?
  8. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Stuche, that's a Gold Tone IT-250-F, like the standard 250 but "designed to be a more up front instrument," which means it's really loud.

Bertram, the water is my son's fish tank in the background! I should re-record Over the Waterfall I guess.
  9. Steve Jeter
    Steve Jeter
    Martin, that sounds like it could have come from a campsite in the civil war , and I mean that in a GOOD way, beautiful & authentic sounding
    Steve
  10. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great tremelo, Manfred. It sounded so natural.

I like the song on a banjo, Martin. The pull offs make it sound especially nice. Is that one brand new? I thought I remembered you playing a nice banjo a while ago. Maybe I'm thinking of a different instrument or a different player. These weeks run together after a while.
  11. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    This is a brand new one Marcelyn. 17 fret Gold Tone tenor. The other one I had was a no-name plectrum (22 frets) I got off of Craig's list. I sold it as it was not appropriate for what I wanted and the neck was so long it was killing my shoulder.

Thanks Steve. Next weekend it WILL be coming from a CW campsite. I'm going to a battle reenactment in SE MO.
  12. agundrum
    agundrum
    Just found a version of this made for the movie Black Hawk Down. Has that same marching rhythm going throughout. What caught my eye first is it was done by Joe Strummer [of The Clash] and The Mescaleros. The Mescaleros was his backing band started in 1999 up to his death in 2002.
    http://www.amazon.com/Minstrel-Boy/d...5246698&sr=8-1
  13. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Oops, I posted my recording of this tune yesterday as a separate thread, not realising that it had been an official song of the week -- I searched the "Other Tunes" list before posting but not the official tunes.

So, here it is again in its correct place:

Harmonies on my arrangement are by The Ottawa Fiddle Ensemble:

http://www.alfwarnock.info/ofe/pdf/52.pdf

I'm playing it as an instrumental trio of mandolin, octave mandolin and tenor guitar.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here it suddenly sounds perfectly right Martin Could march to that if I would, at all.
  15. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Very nice, Martin. Well done!
  16. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    An unusual arrangment in that the middle section seems to lose the tune entirely. But very well played.
  17. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Maudlin said: "An unusual arrangment in that the middle section seems to lose the tune entirely. But very well played."

Thanks, Maudlin. In the middle section, the tune is played by the OM an octave down, with the mandolin taking over the harmony part from the OM. I've tried to play softer when playing harmony than when playing melody but I didn't want to manipulate volume levels in post-recording mixing which is why the melody gets buried in the mix somewhat in the middle, especially if you listen through computer or laptop speakers. But, the tune is there in all three sections. The mandolin plays in the middle section precisely what the OM plays in the first and last section.

Martin
  18. crisscross
    crisscross
    When I loaded my video up on Youtube, I noticed that this tune is also played as a march in London.
    But with the temperatures being as high as they are currently here in Europe, marching is much to exhaustive.
    So I played The Minstrel Boy as a relaxed swing tune:

Nice contributions, I especially like Michaels solo mandolin version and Barbara's tenor guitar playing.
    But there are many great other versions...
  19. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Well done crisscross. I have always liked this tune but never played it.
  20. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very pretty crisscross. The tempo suggests a jaunty stroll to me, I like it.
  21. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I had completely forgotten, that I already had made a recording of this song, probably I had filed it under Minstrel Boy leaving out the artucle.
    Anyway, this recording is a bit different than the one from almost two years ago...
  22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice and relaxing tune Christian, many thanks.
  23. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Ah, Christian, another sign of the years creeping up on us. I too regularly forget I have recorded tunes before, and I also forget the tunes I have recorded!
    Or actually, it just shows what prolific posters we have in our group here. Lovely tone especially in your higher octave section.
  24. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    My take on this tune - played as a march on my Paris Swing "Macaferri" mandolin.

25. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's my new version of The Minstrel Boy, the old one is long gone, I'm afraid.

26. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, David, for this nice video. Did you play a drone with your concertina? Sounds like this in the first part. The video footage is a great choice, too.

Mandolin solo by Aidan and mandolin accompanied with guitar by Christian are also fine offerings. (Have to listen to the other submissions later.)
  27. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Good ear!!! There is a drone on the 1st time through played on concertina and bass, the bass part is high and quiet at the beginning.
  28. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here we are, all on the same page... and lo and behold a new video from David! Terrific playing on this one!
  29. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    So many fine and diverse offerings here, and all so well done.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12